• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 1060 Restoration Project

Tiber63

New Member
1060Lead.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


There are several very good Marantz 1060 restoration and recapping threads on this forum and I don’t know if another one is really necessary, but I’ve learned so much from what others have written that I want to contribute my experience to the community. In the past, I’ve built some relatively simple DIY amplifiers from the ground up, but this is my first vintage amp and my first experience working with a more complex commercial product.

This Marantz 1060 was an ebay purchase that was advertised as a working unit. I hooked it up to a turntable and a pair of test speakers when it arrived and it did indeed play music. I opened the case to see what was going on inside and it looked pretty good. It was a little dirty, but not horrible and there were just a few spots on the chassis where some oxidation was getting started.

All of the caps and components looked like original equipment so a re-capping was definitely on the agenda. When I flipped the unit over, I noticed the 470uf 63v cap on the Power Supply board (C803) was leaking like an old battery (all component numbers come from the Marantz 1060 Service Manual). No more using this amp until after the re-cap. I ordered the parts (based largely on what I learned here) and while waiting for them to arrive, started on the mechanical and cosmetic work.

1060-11.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


The knobs and faceplate came off and were cleaned and disinfected using mild detergent, isopropyl alcohol and Windex.

1060-2.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


The tone controls, main/remote/high & low filter and loudness/tape monitor/mono switch controls were removed from the chassis.

1060-5.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


All of the switches and controls were sprayed with DeoxIT, worked and then flushed with more DeoxIT.

1060-6.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


Although none of the controls sounded bad when the unit was tested, a surprising amount of black goo came out of the pots when they were flushed. A couple days after cleaning the switches and pots, they were all sprayed with FaderLube.

1060-3.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


Before reassembling the front panel, all of the DeoxIT overspray was cleaned up and all of the wire bundles coming off the controls and switches were cleaned using a small foam paintbrush sprayed with isopropyl alcohol. Both sides of all the control and switch PC boards were cleaned using Q-Tips and alcohol. All of the resistors on these boards were also checked to make sure they were up to spec.

After re-attaching the switch and control units to the front panel, the front panel itself was cleaned with alcohol and Windex. The fluting on all of the potentiometer shafts was grimy so they were cleaned using Q-Tips sprayed with DeoxIT and then isopropyl alcohol.

The underside of the chassis and the wire bundles running along the chassis were cleaned using alcohol, Q-Tips and the foam brush.

All of the back-panel input and output connectors were sprayed, worked and flushed with DeoxIT. The back panel was detached from the chassis and all of the input and output connectors were removed from the back panel. The RCA jacks were polished with fine steel wool until all oxidation was removed and they were returned to their original mirror finish. The inside of the push-in speaker connectors were cleaned using a small, fine, round file.

1060-13.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


Pre-amp jumpers before (left) and after (right) cleaning.

One of the speaker connectors was flopping around because the piece of plastic it was mounted to had broken off from the other three connectors in its group. I found a replacement on ebay and installed it before reinstalling the back panel.

The inside of the back panel was cleaned using alcohol and a foam brush. The input and output connectors were reattached to the back panel and their wire bundles were also cleaned using alcohol and the foam brush. The back part of the chassis was also cleaned before the back panel was reattached. The back panel itself was grimy and almost sticky, so it was cleaned with De-Solv-it (a degreasing cleaner), alcohol and then Windex to make it shine.

The heat sink and power transistors were removed from the chassis and cleaned. The transistor leads were cleaned with DeoxIT and set aside to wait for the arrival of new insulators.

By the time the parts started arriving, I was tired of cleaning and eager to get started on the soldering (using WBT silver). Here’s a list of what I ordered by category:

  • Chassis-mounted power supply and output coupling caps: Nichicon Gold Tunes from Parts Connexion. As recommended by EchoWars and others, I went with higher capacitance than original spec for these caps. The power supply cap is 10,000uf and the coupling caps are 6800uf each. These three caps also got 1uf Vishay bypass caps from Mouser.
  • Power supply board caps: Elna Cerafines from Parts Connexion.
  • Phono, pre-amp and amp board caps: Elna Silmic IIs from Parts Connexion.
  • Eight large mylar caps on the phono, pre-amp and amp boards: Vishay 225P orange drops from Mouser.
  • Potentially problematic 2SC1000 and 2SC458 transistors on the phono and pre-amp boards: 2SC1815s and 2SC2240s from B&D Enterprises. I bought a bunch of these and took hFE readings so I could install matched pairs in the right and left channels.

1060-16.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


New parts

1060-17.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


Old Parts

1060-18.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


The first part to come out was the big power supply cap. As you can see from the image, this made it possible to reach the worst of the chassis oxidation points.

1060-19.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


The oxidation was polished and ground away, the area was cleaned with alcohol and the new cap was installed.

The same basic procedure was followed for the coupling caps: remove, clean the area, install replacements. These caps had the added complication of being smaller than the original units, despite being of higher value. I used foam insulation to make the smaller caps fit the original clamps.

1060-21.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


The first board I chose to work on was the power supply (P800) because it was the simplest. There were just four capacitors to replace and five resistors to check. The old caps came out, but there was a lot of clean-up. All of the caps were glued on so there was residue left behind. C803 had been leaking, there was rosin residue on the board and it was just generally sticky feeling. It took a lot of Q-Tips and isopropyl alcohol to get everything cleaned up.

1060-23.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


After the clean up, resistor values were checked. Some resistors need to have one lead removed from the circuit to get an accurate resistance reading. Any time I didn't get the proper resistance reading from a resistor, I pulled one of the leads and measured again. Finally, the new caps were installed to finish the board. There's a problem with this board I didn't recognize until later...

1060-25.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


Next up was the amplifier board (P700), with 12 electrolytic and two mylar caps to be replaced.

1060-26.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


I removed all the caps, went through the board cleaning procedure, checked resistors and then soldered in the new caps. The power transistors were reinstalled on the heat sink with new insulators and thermal compound. Of course, the thermal compound squeezed out all over the heat sink so alcohol and Q-Tips were once again called upon for clean-up duty.

I've used up my 15-image limit for this post, so I'll have to continue in Part 2.
 
Register to hide this ad
Marantz 1060 Restoration Project Part 2

1060-27.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


The amplifier board was then reattached to the heat sink and the heat sink went back on the chassis.

1060-29.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


Next, I did the phono amp board (P900). This board had seven electrolytic and four mylar caps to be replaced, as well as six transistors. The four 2SC1000 transistors (H901-H904) were replaced with new 2SC1815s and the two 2SC458s (H905-H906) were replaced with 2SC2240s. All the old parts were removed, the board was cleaned and the resistors were checked.

1060-30.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


I put the new transistors in first, using a heat sink as I soldered each lead just to be careful. The electrolytics went in next, then the orange drops.

1060-31.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


The pre-amp/tone board (P400) was last. This board had 12 electrolytic and two mylar caps to be replaced and four transistors. The transistors I removed (H401, H402, H405 and H406) were all 2SC1000s that were replaced with 2SC1815s.

1060-33.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


I did the same procedure as with all the other boards: out with the old, clean the board, check resistors, install new parts.

It was now all done and I was ready to set the bias voltage. Or so I thought…

I plugged the 1060 into a variac and connected my three meters to read voltage coming into the unit, voltage coming out of the rectifier powering the amplifier and voltage coming off the power supply board to the phono amplifier. I started bringing the voltage up and when I got to about 70vac input, the voltage coming off the power supply board was already at 35vdc, where it should have been under full power. I powered down and started looking for the problem.

I disconnected the phono and pre-amp boards from the power supply board and took voltage readings where the AC power comes into the board. The secondary for the power supply connects at J801 and J802. A center tap connects to ground at J803. Voltage from J801 to ground was around 70vac and voltage fro J802 to ground was around 15vdc. There was definitely something wrong.

1060-34.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


I noticed that on the top side of the board there was a jumper soldered between J801 and J803, connecting one side of the secondary to the center tap. That didn’t seem right, so I looked very carefully at the schematic and couldn’t find that connection. I also searched online for every picture of a 1060 power supply I could find and none of them had the jumper. So off it came. With the jumper removed, there was 35vac between both J801 and J802 and ground, as there should have been.

I then checked to voltages coming off the board at J806 and J807 and found just a few millivolts at each, definitely not enough to power the phono and pre-amp. I checked the rectifier diodes and the board’s transistor and both tested as good. I also re-checked the board’s resistors and capacitors and all were good. Now stumped, I replaced the diodes and the transistor, but it didn’t fix the problem.

It looks like someone put the jumper from J801 to J803 to mask (for a while, anyway) a more serious issue.

By this time, I had received a newly-purchased 2230. I checked the power supply board secondary on this unit and it was 35 volts. So, I soldered jumpers from the 2230 transformer to the 1060’s power supply board and finally got correct voltages coming out of the board. I also discovered there was no continuity and no resistance with the 1060’s power supply secondary center tap. It seems the 1060 transformer had a single bad secondary.

I started looking for a 1060 transformer and found a “parts” 1060 for not much more than the price of a transformer alone. As soon as it arrived, I checked the transformer voltages and they were all correct, so out it came.

Now I was ready to finish up and start listening to beautiful music, right? Well, not quite. The transformer from the “parts” unit had a little rust on the top cap and I just couldn’t ignore it. I then began a lengthy process of painting, waiting for two days for it to dry, sanding and then painting again. After going through this ritual three times, I finally ended up with an acceptably smooth finish.

1060-37.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


I won’t be painting Bentley’s any time soon, but even my paint job is better than rust.

I went through the “power-up” ritual again and this time all the voltages were correct. Now to set bias voltage… I turned the chassis on its side to get at the bias voltage jumpers on the bottom of the amplifier board. I clipped the meter leads to J716 and J714 and switched on the amp.

The voltage was a little low so I brought it up using trimmer R730. As has been mentioned by others, the trimmers are extremely sensitive. The smallest movement possible makes a bigger change in voltage than you want. I ended up just bumping against the adjustment screw to make the minute movements required to get the voltage right. It’s probably a good idea to just replace the trimmers when you’re working on the amplifier board.

1060-38.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


I repeated the process for the other channel on jumpers J715 and J713 and trimmer R729. I let the unit warm up for 30 minutes and checked the voltage again and made some further tweaks to bring the voltage to 7.5mV.

The final step was to hook the amp up to a scope to set it for symmetrical clipping using the method outlined in the service manual. Connect speaker output to an eight-ohm dummy load. Connect an oscilloscope across the speaker terminals. Apply a 1 KHz audio signal to the AUX inputs and increase the audio signal until the audio output on the scope begins to clip. Adjust trimming resistor R723 for equal and symmetrical clipping of the positive and negative part of the signal. For the other channel, adjust trimmer R724.

IMG_1806.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


This amplifier had a good, flat symmetrical clip at 27.6v.

1060-39.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


It produces a nice, round sine wave at 26.8v peak, 18.47v RMS. I’m no math genius, but I believe that works out to 89 watts peak power and 42 watts RMS. Not bad for a 30-watt amp.

1060-42.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


I now have more than 200 hours on this amp and I love the sound. It’s good with vinyl, but I’ve used it mostly with digital sources. I have optical connections from my satellite TV receiver and computer going into a Cambridge Audio DacMagic and then into the Marantz. All of my CDs are on the computer in lossless formats and I’m buying new music as high-resolution downloads. It’s great having access to my entire music library through the iTunes remote app on my iPhone. This combination of vintage and modern technology is perfect for someone like me who’s gotten too lazy to get out of his chair to change CDs or records. Current speakers are a pair of recapped and refoamed New Large Advents. This system has a great vintage sound and I never get tired of listening to it.

Finished3.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


This seems like a really long post with a lot of pictures, but there are even more on my blog site if you're interested: Tiber63.com. Thanks to everyone on AK who inspired this fun and rewarding project.
 
What can I say, Excellent and very professional rebuild of one of the classic Marantz pieces. You should really be proud of that 1060, it looks excellent and you have made very good choices on the replacement parts. I will have to say although I love the Silmic II's on the Power Supply Board I think the Cerafines are an excellent choice considering the speakers you are running. Nice replacement choice of the tantalums with SilmicII on the Phono Board, and way to go getting ride of the ugly looking mylar caps!:banana:
 
Last edited:
You did a really nice job, way more cleaning than I would do but I won't judge on that.

I had a 1060 for quite a while and liked it a bunch.
 
Very,very impressive work Tiber !!!:tresbon:
I have restorated a 1060 myself but had doubt to do the main amp board because hard to get. Did you encounter troubles to reach/dismantle it ?.
I used Elna silmic2 for pre and phono board,panasonic FM/FC for power supply

I replaced all the SC1000 transistors by 2SC1815,you mentioned "1815s". Is there a difference ?

I also had a bad 2SA493 transistor in the pre amp section,replaced them by 2SA1015 with good results.
By reading this I like to start with the main amp board.:D
 
Wow. Now I feel like a complete fool for posting my 1060 threads.... Clearly I am not worthy....

Boomer543,

I read your 1060 thread before starting my own project. Reading about the experience of another first-timer was really helpful. The most important thing I learned was to be very carful when working inside a powered-up amplifier. My project went smoothly because of the information you and others provided. Thanks!
 
robbe_15,

I have restorated a 1060 myself but had doubt to do the main amp board because hard to get. Did you encounter troubles to reach/dismantle it ?

I didn't have trouble, but the amp board is more complicated than the others because some disassembly is required to access the back of the board.

When I worked on the amp board, I had the back panel removed from the chassis. I removed the small clamps that hold the varistors (H005-H006) to the heat sink, and then unscrewed the heat sink from the chassis. Next, I unscrewed the amp board from the heat sink and the short grounding wire that goes from the amp board to the chassis.

At this point, you can get enough access to the back of the amp board to change the caps, but I also removed the power transistors and sockets from the heat sink so the heat sink could be completely removed. There's a picture above that shows the amp board with the back panel and heat sink removed. You'll need thermal compound when reinstalling the transistors and varistors.

I replaced all the SC1000 transistors by 2SC1815,you mentioned "1815s". Is there a difference ?

No difference. I meant the plural of 2SC1815.

By reading this I like to start with the main amp board.:D

Go for it!
 
I'm unable to find 50v .22uf Vishay/Sprague Mylar caps on Mouser. Can I use 100V .22uf Mylar caps?

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Compo...wqu1Z1z0vkuw&Keyword=Vishay+225P+22uf&FS=True

Yes you can, just make sure they will fit. I am a huge huge fan of the Relcap RT films from Michael Percy Audio. Sonically if in a signal path location perfect for Marantz and very easy to work with. And most I installed (19 total were 200V rating) again measure to make sure. They are however expensive but I feel they are well worth it.
 
1060-27.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


The amplifier board was then reattached to the heat sink and the heat sink went back on the chassis.

1060-29.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


Next, I did the phono amp board (P900). This board had seven electrolytic and four mylar caps to be replaced, as well as six transistors. The four 2SC1000 transistors (H901-H904) were replaced with new 2SC1815s and the two 2SC458s (H905-H906) were replaced with 2SC2240s. All the old parts were removed, the board was cleaned and the resistors were checked.

1060-30.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


I put the new transistors in first, using a heat sink as I soldered each lead just to be careful. The electrolytics went in next, then the orange drops.

1060-31.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


The pre-amp/tone board (P400) was last. This board had 12 electrolytic and two mylar caps to be replaced and four transistors. The transistors I removed (H401, H402, H405 and H406) were all 2SC1000s that were replaced with 2SC1815s.

1060-33.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


I did the same procedure as with all the other boards: out with the old, clean the board, check resistors, install new parts.

It was now all done and I was ready to set the bias voltage. Or so I thought…

I plugged the 1060 into a variac and connected my three meters to read voltage coming into the unit, voltage coming out of the rectifier powering the amplifier and voltage coming off the power supply board to the phono amplifier. I started bringing the voltage up and when I got to about 70vac input, the voltage coming off the power supply board was already at 35vdc, where it should have been under full power. I powered down and started looking for the problem.

I disconnected the phono and pre-amp boards from the power supply board and took voltage readings where the AC power comes into the board. The secondary for the power supply connects at J801 and J802. A center tap connects to ground at J803. Voltage from J801 to ground was around 70vac and voltage fro J802 to ground was around 15vdc. There was definitely something wrong.

1060-34.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


I noticed that on the top side of the board there was a jumper soldered between J801 and J803, connecting one side of the secondary to the center tap. That didn’t seem right, so I looked very carefully at the schematic and couldn’t find that connection. I also searched online for every picture of a 1060 power supply I could find and none of them had the jumper. So off it came. With the jumper removed, there was 35vac between both J801 and J802 and ground, as there should have been.

I then checked to voltages coming off the board at J806 and J807 and found just a few millivolts at each, definitely not enough to power the phono and pre-amp. I checked the rectifier diodes and the board’s transistor and both tested as good. I also re-checked the board’s resistors and capacitors and all were good. Now stumped, I replaced the diodes and the transistor, but it didn’t fix the problem.

It looks like someone put the jumper from J801 to J803 to mask (for a while, anyway) a more serious issue.

By this time, I had received a newly-purchased 2230. I checked the power supply board secondary on this unit and it was 35 volts. So, I soldered jumpers from the 2230 transformer to the 1060’s power supply board and finally got correct voltages coming out of the board. I also discovered there was no continuity and no resistance with the 1060’s power supply secondary center tap. It seems the 1060 transformer had a single bad secondary.

I started looking for a 1060 transformer and found a “parts” 1060 for not much more than the price of a transformer alone. As soon as it arrived, I checked the transformer voltages and they were all correct, so out it came.

Now I was ready to finish up and start listening to beautiful music, right? Well, not quite. The transformer from the “parts” unit had a little rust on the top cap and I just couldn’t ignore it. I then began a lengthy process of painting, waiting for two days for it to dry, sanding and then painting again. After going through this ritual three times, I finally ended up with an acceptably smooth finish.

1060-37.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


I won’t be painting Bentley’s any time soon, but even my paint job is better than rust.

I went through the “power-up” ritual again and this time all the voltages were correct. Now to set bias voltage… I turned the chassis on its side to get at the bias voltage jumpers on the bottom of the amplifier board. I clipped the meter leads to J716 and J714 and switched on the amp.

The voltage was a little low so I brought it up using trimmer R730. As has been mentioned by others, the trimmers are extremely sensitive. The smallest movement possible makes a bigger change in voltage than you want. I ended up just bumping against the adjustment screw to make the minute movements required to get the voltage right. It’s probably a good idea to just replace the trimmers when you’re working on the amplifier board.

1060-38.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


I repeated the process for the other channel on jumpers J715 and J713 and trimmer R729. I let the unit warm up for 30 minutes and checked the voltage again and made some further tweaks to bring the voltage to 7.5mV.

The final step was to hook the amp up to a scope to set it for symmetrical clipping using the method outlined in the service manual. Connect speaker output to an eight-ohm dummy load. Connect an oscilloscope across the speaker terminals. Apply a 1 KHz audio signal to the AUX inputs and increase the audio signal until the audio output on the scope begins to clip. Adjust trimming resistor R723 for equal and symmetrical clipping of the positive and negative part of the signal. For the other channel, adjust trimmer R724.

IMG_1806.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


This amplifier had a good, flat symmetrical clip at 27.6v.

1060-39.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


It produces a nice, round sine wave at 26.8v peak, 18.47v RMS. I’m no math genius, but I believe that works out to 89 watts peak power and 42 watts RMS. Not bad for a 30-watt amp.

1060-42.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


I now have more than 200 hours on this amp and I love the sound. It’s good with vinyl, but I’ve used it mostly with digital sources. I have optical connections from my satellite TV receiver and computer going into a Cambridge Audio DacMagic and then into the Marantz. All of my CDs are on the computer in lossless formats and I’m buying new music as high-resolution downloads. It’s great having access to my entire music library through the iTunes remote app on my iPhone. This combination of vintage and modern technology is perfect for someone like me who’s gotten too lazy to get out of his chair to change CDs or records. Current speakers are a pair of recapped and refoamed New Large Advents. This system has a great vintage sound and I never get tired of listening to it.

Finished3.jpg.scaled1000.jpg


This seems like a really long post with a lot of pictures, but there are even more on my blog site if you're interested: Tiber63.com. Thanks to everyone on AK who inspired this fun and rewarding project.

Which 1uf Vishay did you end up using to bypass the Filter Caps 730P?
 
Maybe this is a dumb question, but i thought mylar caps didn't need replacing during a recap. Why did you replace yours?
 
Maybe this is a dumb question, but i thought mylar caps didn't need replacing during a recap. Why did you replace yours?


No you do not need to replace them. I am not the OP, but new ones look way better, and there is a sonic improvement replacing the films.
 
What a forum this would be if all members 4th post, including mine, were this impressive. :ntwrthy:

It's posts like these that inspired me to subscribe.

Congratulations!
 
Hi Tiber63, fantastic and meticulous restoration! I've just joined AK, and wondering if you could PM me the parts list? I can't quite get the information I need from the fist page.. Many Thanks!
 
Wow, what a great restoration thread! Quality and well done! How did I miss this first time around?
 
Hi Tiber63, fantastic and meticulous restoration! I've just joined AK, and wondering if you could PM me the parts list? I can't quite get the information I need from the fist page.. Many Thanks!

Welcome to AK.
Usually the generation of a recap list is done with the unit in front of you so that you can replace like with like components. Sure you can go up in size for the PS caps but many need to be the same spec as what is there. This is the reason the unit is used and not just the Service Manual which may have errors or your specific unit might have production changes.

You do have the SM and the Schematic, don't you? Probably on the akdatabase if you don't.

Good Luck.
 
Back
Top Bottom