902-2279 vs 902-2279A 10" woofers

slimpikkins

I've been working on a pair of RSIIb's and while re-foaming the surrounds I noticed something. Two of the woofers from the same speaker are taller than the two from the other speakers. Now this pair of IIb's is pretty sweaty meaning they've had a tough life so perhaps the one speaker was cooked and replacement woofers were installed without taking the other woofers out. It's hard to notice the difference when looking at them from the front. I didn't notice until I put them face down on the floor after installing the gaskets.

The rear emits were blown as well but got them to work using the rear window defogger stuff. By the way I could not find the Locktite version so I bought the Permatex version which has a small vile of paint which is resealable and you could fix a dozen or so tweeters with what you get for 7 bucks.

Thankfully the 6 emims and other 6 emits are fine.

Anyway getting back to the woofers the 902-2279A are the shorter (replacements) and also have a smaller magnet 902-2279 are taller. I can't hear any difference out of the cabinet and resistance is the same. I'm just going to put the two larger woofers in the bottom of each cabinet and try to forget about it. Anyone else come across this?

Attachments

• IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2465.jpg
    IMG_2465.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 110
see this linkhttp://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/RS_IIA_technical_sheet.pdf
note says woofer 902-2279a substitute only. Guess it is ok with Infinity should ok with you.

Back
Top Bottom