Gear rack/stands

nissan guy

Haven't seen a thread on this topic yet. What are you guys and gals using to set all of your gear on? Homebrew, store bought etc. Pics help as well.

I am looking for ideas and or brand names to check out for myself. I would like to stay around $300.00 max, but would like something that is rated to support a bit of weight. I want to stay away from component stacking if at all possible. (personal preference)

I will start. Not ideal by any means thats why i am on the hunt for something proper. Don't mind my messy mancave. LOL
elkhartaudiostuff342.jpg

elkhartaudiostuff341.jpg

elkhartaudiostuff343.jpg

Last edited:
Check Amazon.com for a Sanus brand rack. Plenty under that price, sturdy as heck, I found mine locally for cheap.

Search for "flexi rack" you will see a lot of great ideas.

Yup, that's what I did. Cheap, flexible (in terms of # shelves and spacing), solid. Most of my shelves are 2 pieces of 3/4" MDF, a couple are single-layer plywood. The whole thing weighs maybe 80-100 lbs.

I ended up designing and building my own. The original plan was to produce a few of them, but it ended up being far from cost-effective. Still, it's a unique piece and very solid, at over 100 pounds without even filling the legs with sand.

Studio pic from when I first built it:
llrack01.jpg

I ended up designing and building my own. The original plan was to produce a few of them, but it ended up being far from cost-effective. Still, it's a unique piece and very solid, at over 100 pounds without even filling the legs with sand.

Studio pic from when I first built it:
llrack01.jpg

That is good, I like it a lot!:thmbsp:

Home-made stereo console.

IMG_20110824_093132.jpg

I made it modular so I can just drop in whatever speakers, or amplifier, or whatever other equipment I'm listening to at the time and still maintain high WAF.

IMG_20110223_090716.jpg

For serious listening time I can pull the speakers out and set them on stands to the sides of the console.

I pieced mine together from record crates my father made for me and a piece of an old school desk. I like the idea of high mass.

I also like the horizontal look. As my system grew in pieces, I built stands for the specific units.

There's pictures of it all in my signature link.

I'm looking at it now trying to figure out how to get my second table into it. Right now, it's across the room hooked up with a 50' pair of RCAs.

I picked this up at the local Mill Store last weekend, stain is done and I started on the poly tonight. I should have it all racked and stacked by next weekend :D

$200 for the stand and less than $50 for the stain and poly. I'll have an extra shelf when done but that will give me options for future expansion or changes to the system.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I've got the brick and board thing going on with one system, and then the other is on small white laminated very sturdy bed side cabinets that my Grandfather made way back when, and they are just wide enough to accomodate large Sansui receiver on one and my turntable on the other, and that system uses floorstanding speakers.
The hilarious part is the 2 systems are on adjacent walls. Like I sit one way to use my TV system then turn 90 deg and there's my main audio system. And all this in a very tiny room. It's so small, I can't even photograph it effectively.

I'm considering welding an audio shelf, and am also considering putting something together with thick threaded rod and big nuts. I'd like to consolidate both systems on one wall. lol, may never happen!

I recently caught a great sale at Target for wire racks, 6' tall, 5' across and 18" deep, $35 each. I had a rack for between, same style and color, just as deep , not as wide, perfect for records and small components. The setup fits perfectly in the space it was designed to fill, and looks great. I bought some pine stair landing boards with round bead in front ($9 each, black stain as well) that are very flat and beautifully finish-cut by my friends at Home Depot, and they provide solid support under my speakers on top. Great display!

I made mine back in the 80's when I worked at Syntex in palo alto calif. All of the lab equiment had to be on stands and when that gear was changed out I would be there to collect what ever I needed to break down and then rebuild it into my current rack. It has served me well all of these yrs. I know it wouldnt pass the dreaded WAF test but I ve never had one so no worries on that front!!!

I'm currently moving everything towards a closet to gain more space. Just 2x4 and ply. The added benefit is the gear is isolated from the listening space.

I have seen a wire rack with foam dampening underneath all the equipment feet. I would go this route if it was to stay in the room. It breathes, no flat surfaces, and has vibration dampening. Not super pretty, but super functional. If you go this route, make sure that the metal gear does not touch the rack to avoid ground loops.

I used to use this nice premier rack for the gear and now I use an Ikea Expedit.

012-18.jpg

010-27.jpg

Also note the Skylan stands for the Harbeth speakers as they are custom made for the P3ESR by Noel.

Compare those to the very nice budget Studio Tech stands that I used before.

003-37.jpg

005-43.jpg

I no longer use the plywood platforms.

+1 on the Sanus, I have 2 equipment racks and a set of stands. Really strong and well made, not too expensive. Mine are open metal, which I prefer to anything with glass shelves.

I just swapped out my ugly flexi stand & put my gear on a 2X4 Expedit similar to Arts. In the process, I moved my MMGs so I'm listening to the long wall in the room, (20 x 12.5 ft, L shaped finished basement room.) It's like having a whole new system!

I broke down and bought a decent rack at best buy on sale through tomorrow. Normal price is 180.00 its on sale for 100ish. It is a 3 shelf unit that can support 300 lbs. Steel and glass materials used. I will try and get some pics up tomorrow when i get it set up. i need a hand getting it out of the car as its that damn heavy.

Then next up is some sound deadening for my listening room which is very small.

Back
Top Bottom