• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Appropos of nothing - Technics RS-955 cassette deck

mhardy6647

Lunatic Member
From my favorite local emporium last week :-) this is a Technics RS-955 cassette deck. Has Dolby B, C, and dbx NR. Hardly high-end, but also an unfamiliar model; I don't see it listed at http://www.vintagetechnics.co.uk/tapedecks.htm (FWIW).
I am speculating it dates back to the second half of the 1980s(?).

Just thought you all might like to see a photo of it :-)

TechnicsRS955.jpg


Technics made several (if not a bunch?) of decks with dbx NR. Here's another one that passed through here a while back - this one, seemingly slightly earlier and maybe a notch or two (?) up the food chain, is an RS-B50. This deck was also (apparently) equipped to decode and play dbx encoded discs (i.e., LPs) - kind of a neat feature, if one actually happened to own any dbx-encoded records! :-)

Also, note that the RS-B50, in contrast to the RS-955, has a mechanical tape counter. The RS-955 proudly boasts of its electronic tape counter, and it has a little "circling arrow" fluorescent display when the tape is moving as well as the rev. count.

DSC_0184.jpg


This latter deck is., FWIW, referenced on the Vintage Technics site.
http://www.vintagetechnics.co.uk/tapedecks/rsb50.htm
(1984 for this deck, according to Vintage Technics)
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Nice.
I had a RSM-235X that I bought new in 1983. Twas a nice piece of equipment and the first decent piece of audio gear I spent my own money on. Wish I hadn't gotten rid of it. Probably all it needed was need belts.
 
Back
Top Bottom