Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Infinity Loudspeakers

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:07 PM
AK Member

@klaus - I will take high res pics in the next couple days. Just got a new smart phone.

The scanning is not that good - but the actual docs are readable (with the help of some magnifying glass).

All ... if you want to get the hard copies (photocopy) of the schematics that I posted earlier, please send me a "pm" with an address. I will send them to you by post. Klaus, I can send them to you also if you want.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Infinity Lover

Oh yes, please. I would appreciate it.

Klaus
Old 02-29-2012, 06:28 PM
AK Member

Wow, those are some speaker. I just got a small pair so am checking out the brand. Impressive.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:49 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waudio View Post
I picked up the RS1b shipment yesterday from Boston. It barely fit in the Durango. I had been busy with work and other things - did not get much chance to play. Just unwrapped them - will take pics and post tomorrow.

The original owner - soldered all the emits and emims wiring, so we had to unsolder them before shipping. I should have had the foresight to ask the seller to label each wire - but he told me that he already took many high resolution pictures so that I can put them together. I was too excited at that time to think twice. Turned out - after close examination, I have no clue on what to do and how to connect them back. I have the pictures but the cables are of the same color (??). So, for the mean time, I picked up a pair of RS1b passive crossover (latest edition) from ebay. I plan to use this first until I have time to study more on how I can rewire the first pair of the crossover.

I spent about $250 just on the bubble wraps and another $250 on shipping the emims, emits, mid/high cabinet bases, passive/active crossovers separately by UPS. The shipping of the base towers and the mid/high panel is another $500. Total shipping from Seattle to NH is $1000. No damage during shipping.

For now, I am planning to use Carvers tfm-45 and -42. I have a pair of each model and I plan to use them as "mono-blocks". I will use just one channel out of each of the four amplifiers. Any comment about this configuration? I read that in this mode, the one channel can "borrow" from the other unused channel if needed.

Can't you bridge the amp like the M 1.5t? My manual for the 1.5 (and the rear of the amp itself) show how to do this.

I just looked, and yes, you flip the switch to mono, and wire it differently.

go here; http://thecarversite.com/manuals.htm
click on the tfm 45 or 42 manual, and go to page ten, it shows how to wire it. That way it's a 1000 watt monoblock. Hmmmm!

in mono, plug an input into the LEFT input ONLY on the amp, then wire the speaker to both RED leads on teh back (I know, that sounds wrong, but tha'ts how you do it)

IMO, carver amps are still amazing, I have two of them.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:49 PM
AK Member

I don't think Infinity recommended bridging amps with their speakers, when bridged they won't handle the lower impedances.

Waudio just wondering have you got those big Infinitys up and running yet? If so what do you think of them?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM
AK Member

Hello,

I was not well this past week - stomach bug - have not done much in the way of getting them up yet after coming from work. I bought some terminals that can barely fit the 12 awg chassis wires and put a few of them today. Hopefully, I can give update in another week or so.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM
AK Member

@dcmaster - please see attached pictures of the active crossovers. I tried to localize on the locations where I think it has been modified. I have more pics at the next post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0025.jpg (96.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0037.jpg (72.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0023.jpg (62.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0029.jpg (83.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0043.jpg (66.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 PM
AK Member

More pics on the active crossover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0031.jpg (81.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0049.jpg (93.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0039.jpg (53.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0041.jpg (72.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0077.jpg (102.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 PM
AK Member

I found some terminals at a local store (Advanced Auto Parts) but they don't have enough. So, the 2nd crossover is not yet complete. They should have more terminals coming this Friday. The terminal will take 16-14awg but it will work with 12 awg if you twist the wire really hard. Sometimes, I have to cut a few strands to make it fit.

I also put new tags to label the wires. So far, looks good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0071.jpg (89.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0073.jpg (77.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0055.jpg (68.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0059.jpg (46.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0057.jpg (70.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 PM
AK Member

Two weekends ago, I built the bottlehead quickie battery powered preamp. The overall cost is not that cheap. The $99 base price is misleading, as it costs more to buy the casing, the PJCSS, and shipping + tax. However, I was curious about this preamp as it has good reviews. The Grant Fidelity DAC-09 was $210 shippe - in comparison.

Tested and compared it with the DAC-09 - with the RS2b's. The soundstage is wider and more open with the quickie but the sound is "harsher". The bass is notably less with the quickie too. It was only the first two hours with the stock tube on the quickie, so it may not be revealing what it is really capable.

Overall, I like the DAC-09 better. It has the GE White 5 Star tube.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0079.jpg (99.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0081.jpg (87.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0083.jpg (88.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0087.jpg (91.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0089.jpg (102.0 KB, 31 views)
Audiokarma
Old 03-07-2012, 02:20 AM
AK Member

Enjoying this thread, great speakers, just wanted to say Pep Boys has those terminals as well. Boxes of 5 or 10 I can't remember. They are popular with car hi fi folks. I bought some to rewire the emits on my rsIIb's a while back.
Jim
Old 03-09-2012, 11:18 PM
AK Member

Have to jump in here.

My RS1B's are a great speaker system. As far as bass goes, jees! When comparing them to other systems, there is nothing else comparable.

To use another crossover, I don't understand.

Arny Nudell was , in fact, a Rocket Scientist. He had the idea that the woofer output would be the same as the amplifier output, corrected by a servo.

He made the woofer output be the same as the amplifier input, by using the same technology as Air to Surface Missiles, as I understand it.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Infinity Lover

@jazzman and waudio,

please note: the rs1 should NOT be used with bridge amplifiers! Not with curver or others brands! This will demage the SCU and / or poweramp!

@suti
today I received your mail. Thanks alot.

Klaus
Old 03-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Infinity Lover

Quote:
@dcmaster - please see attached pictures of the active crossovers. I tried to localize on the locations where I think it has been modified. I have more pics at the next post.
The resistors (5 peaces each channel) in pic 1 + 2 behind the connectors are not standard, but the function is ok.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Infinity Lover

Quote:
More pics on the active crossover.
The original power supply was apparently taken out of operation and replaced by an external power supply. Only the parts on the pcb were retained.

Klaus
Audiokarma