how about CELESTION DITTON 44 speakers

~$150 is the right price with anything under $100 considered a great deal. $800 is a pipe dream.

$800 and no pictures??? I wouldn't give $800 for the 66's either but some might. I have a pair of the Ditton 44 Series II's which are a different than those but sound damn good. They use an 8" woofer with a 10" rear firing passive radiator. At $165, it's pretty reasonable, but....I bet there's room for dealing. The main thing is to make sure all the drivers are functional...especially the tweeters.

No....they don't. The original tweeters in the 44's are the HF2000. Here's a pic from the web (not mine) that shows what they are supposed to look like. And those tweeters don't come up incredibly often on Fleabay, either. Once in awhile though. I had a fellow AK'er in Denmark that helped me out on a pair of original woofers for my Ditton 44 Series II's and I am still grateful for that!

a.provider,m.81121,mod.media,th.normal,s.pictures.jpg

~$150 is the right price with anything under $100 considered a great deal. $800 is a pipe dream.

'$800 is a pipe dream" I remember selling that dude (with the over-priced stuff), a pair of refoamed bookshelf Energy ESM 3`s for 60 bucks a few years ago....which he promptly tried flipping for 180 the following day :scratch2: and him nearly chewing me out for not carrying them down to his car for him.:D

Would these tweeters be original too? They look similar but have a white covering.

433561_20.jpeg

No....they don't. The original tweeters in the 44's are the HF2000. Here's a pic from the web (not mine) that shows what they are supposed to look like. And those tweeters don't come up incredibly often on Fleabay, either. Once in awhile though. I had a fellow AK'er in Denmark that helped me out on a pair of original woofers for my Ditton 44 Series II's and I am still grateful for that!

a.provider,m.81121,mod.media,th.normal,s.pictures.jpg

Yep! The 1st Kiji picture does not have the original tweets...But for $165 (offer $125) I would give them a listen, as I also had dome tweets substituted in my pair, which matched well with the original mid and bass- which was awesome...

Last edited:
Would these tweeters be original too? They look similar but have a white covering.

Those tweeters look more like they're missing the black covering for the dome versus it being a white covering instead of black.

Anyone know if there is a model difference between the veneered front and the MDF Baffle (Series II)? Or did they just cut costs later in the original model run?

The black front is the original Ditton 44, first production run. The walnut veneered front one is the same, I believe the crossover board is a little different but same drivers.

Glad I found this post as I'm new owner of a pair of Celestion Ditton 44 that I just acquired a few days ago in a very very good condition, almost like brand new for the age these speakers have. Was blown away how the owner kept them this clean and spotless. Its not the 44 II, its the first batch of 44's. And man I'm really in love with the sound these babies project. I matched them with my Sansui receiver and they are rocking. I'm planning to really keep them extremely clean and maintain them as in condition they are now and spotless for a few years ahead.

I'll share some pics later tonight or tomorrow to have you vintage experts feedbacks and pointers on how you find them (shape wise) and how to maintain them well.

Best regards,

Old thread but I thought I would add to it. I have had 10 sets or ditton 66, 25, 44, and 33. If they have not been recapped and still have the black with red end caps they need it. Trust me when I say the difference is significant. They are easy to do. Ansar Supersound and Monacore brand caps work very good for the high and mid ranges. Alcap work fine for the low end. Even adding a small value bypass film cap for the low end as well is a good idea.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom