Audiokarma.org
Audiokarma Featured Sponsor

Go Back   AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums > Dollars and Sense

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:46 AM
constantly upgrading...

Cool Infinity RS1b speakers - $2500 (northern colo)

Noaf.
Can't justify paying that much for speakers but those who can, get 'em...

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/2762331805.html
Infinity RS1b speakers - $2500 (northern colo)
Date: 2011-12-20, 9:41AM MST
Reply to: sale-x5zps-2762331805@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
These speakers are 10 out of 10 sonically, 7 out of 10 cosmetically. There are some light scratches on the woofer columns. I emphasize that they are light; they do not appear to penetrate the wood seal coat. The bases of the mid/tweet columns have some nicks, probably from the vacuum bumping into them. The grill covers have a few small holes at the bottom. So, that's the bad. The good is that these speakers are a dream worthy of endless listening. Pure auditory joy. If you are looking for a great deal on some high end speakers, you have found them.

Included in this sale is the original Infinity RS Crossover that came with these speakers. Also included are monster cables for each mid/tweet column (they are pretty long) with self-locking, gold plated connectors, the same monster cables/connectors for connecting bridged amps to the crossover, and the original owner's manual..

I'm giving the local market a try before listing these on audiogon. I'm selling these because with 2 kids now our home is bursting at the seams. Additional photos available upon request.

Last edited by Mystery; 08-23-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:44 AM
AK Member

They are well worth $2500.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Vintage Graduate

There were several variants of the RS1x. At $2500, regardless of variant, they are worth the $$$.

The Holy Grail RS1b has all black wiring up the backs of the mid/tweeter panels. This was the last and best revision of this FINE speaker. 2nd to last RS1b revision the wiring is a rainbow of colors.

If you can live with the hole in the upper bass where they cross over from the woofers to the mids, these are great. Reason why the Delta/Gamma/Beta had the LEMIM panel(s) was to cure this problem, however the RS1x is an easier speaker to deal with in real-world use. Betas are like a thoroughbred racehorse, if you don't feed 'em the right stuff they will not run well.

Paul
The system: Levinson 32 w/phono, 33 & 33H monoblocks, 31.5 transport, 30.6 DAC, Accuphase T109V tuner, Sony SCD777ES, VPI Aries with SDS, JMW 10.5i, Van Den Hul Frog cartridge, Nearfield Acoustics Pipedream Reference 18 Line Arrays.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:11 PM
AK Member

I've never paid more than $400 for any of my speakers, but I would make an exception on this one if a pair showed up locally.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:52 PM
AK Member

Too Late, I got them already. The rear EMIT on both sides have blown diaphragms. One EMIM was open also so three were not working on the left tower (series). I was able to perform a kluge repair on the EMIM, we will see how long it lasts. I might rebuild the entire tweet/mid towers with Bohlender Graebener drivers which will give me lots of spares for my Betas, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Last edited by BetaMan; 01-12-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 01-11-2012, 10:00 PM
constantly upgrading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaMan View Post
Too Late, I got them already. The rear EMIT on both sides have blown diaphragms. One EMIM was open also so three were not working on the left tower (series). I was able to perform a kluge repair on the EMIM, we will see how long it lasts. I might rebuild the entire tweet/mid towers with Bohlender Graebener drivers which will give me lots of spares for my Betas, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Congrats!
BTW, did you get seller to reduce price because those issues?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:33 PM
AK Member

Man those sold pretty fast! Glad you got them I would have hated to see someone purhase them to part them out. Yet I sure could have used one of the EMIM's as I have one that recently quit working. Took the diaphram out, and it didn't look very good, but you say the diaphrams are repairable, I would really be interested in knowing how to try to repair it, until I can find a decent replacement. I have seen them come up once and a while, but lately I have only seen one for repair and for the life of me I don't know why anyone would pay the price he wants for one thats no good.

Update I see he now has some that are good.

I

Last edited by Ken Boyd; 01-11-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 PM
AK Member

Whats a Kluge repair?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:49 PM
yamaha and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Boyd View Post
Man those sold pretty fast! Glad you got them I would have hated to see someone purhase them to part them out. Yet I sure could have used one of the EMIM's as I have one that recently quit working. Took the diaphram out, and it didn't look very good, but you say the diaphrams are repairable, I would really be interested in knowing how to try to repair it, until I can find a decent replacement. I have seen them come up once and a while, but lately I have only seen one for repair and for the life of me I don't know why anyone would pay the price he wants for one thats no good.

Update I see he now has some that are good.

I
He said he was going to part them out...
But keep the parts for others he owns..
tt toshiba SR-250
infinity ,RS1.5
dayton titanic 15" with 250w plate amp
Old 01-12-2012, 06:35 AM
AK Member

For a few hundred dollars, the drivers can be replaced. Hate to see great speakers torn up for drivers. Thats sad.
Audiokarma
Old 01-12-2012, 10:57 AM
AK Member

Kluge=not good

Last edited by BetaMan; 01-12-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Congrats!
BTW, did you get seller to reduce price because those issues?
Yes I got a good deal..
Old 01-12-2012, 11:14 AM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glum View Post
He said he was going to part them out...
But keep the parts for others he owns..
I didn't get that he was going to part them out in the traditional way of taking out all the drivers and crossovers and selling them to make money. What I got from his post he was going to update them with drivers that he likes better and then save the parts for his other speakers, thats quite a different story.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 PM
AK Member

Yesterday I scored a couple of Yamaha MX-630 amps. One was advertised as good the other not working for $140. I got them home and found bad solder joints in the capacitor connections. A little solder and BAM two systems. I know that the 630's are inadequate for the RS1b's but I can at least listen to them casually without dismantling my main system.

Last edited by BetaMan; 01-12-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:30 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
For a few hundred dollars, the drivers can be replaced. Hate to see great speakers torn up for drivers. Thats sad.
I agree, but since Infinity is not making parts anymore, I would do almost anything to keep my Betas running till I croak. If I did rob the Infinity drivers, I would rebuild them with Bohlender Graebener drivers as they would fit well in the RS1b shell and not at all well in the Betas.
Audiokarma