Pioneer SX-450 --- Faulty Power Switch (Easy Fix?)

J7bones

Hi All -

My wife got me an SX-450 for Christmas -- which is awesome (I've been looking for one for years for nostalgic reasons). I am a newbie when it comes to audio, although I am learning fast (I just refoamed speakers for the first time yesterday!).

The unit works well in every respect, except the power light flickers on and off and there is crackling noises for a minute or so when I first turn it on. It's almost like it does not have enough power or something until it finally kicks on. Once it does kick on, there are no issues.

Doing some research here and on Google, I have determined that
the power switch contacts are likely worn out and have to get cleaned/readjusted/rebuilt. Is this something that I--as a newbie--can and should attempt to do myself? If so, what do I need to do? If not, how much can I expect to shell out for the repair?

Thanks for your input!

Hi All. I'm the OP on this thread. My SX-450 is running perfect 1 year later.

HOWEVER, I just bought an SX-550 and I am attempting this same repair -- same flickering, etc. I ran into some trouble. I've had this switch in and out 3 times and it is still flickering. Am I not cleaning it right? Here's what I've done:

I have used 600 grit sandpaper to rub off the metal disc (excuse the terminology--I'm still a noob) on the front and back of the switch (pics attached). I've also used that paper to rub underneath the little arms that contact the disc -- although I haven't done those as much for fear of breaking them. I also took apart the gray box (pic attached) and have now rubbed the sandpaper a LOT on the two little contact nubs that touch when the switch is engaged (there is still a small bit of black/brown burnt crap in the middle of the nubs, but not as big as before). The nubs are bright silvery otherwise. I also hit these with RadioShack contact cleaner/lube.

The first time I took this apart, I only used the sandpaper on the disc and arms. I forgot the gray box part. The second time, I hit the gray box and put the switch back together backwards. NOTE: The unit was on automatically as soon as I plugged in the unit (i.e., the switch no longer operated anything as best I can tell). However, there was no flicker! I thought I had fixed it, so I took it apart again, and the third time put it all back together correctly. Much to my dismay, the flicker returned....

I now have the switch apart as noted in the pictures. I've sanded everything a little more and gave it all a good contact cleaner/lube bath and that's where I'm at...

Am I missing something?

HELP!!!!!!

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Sorry...here's the pics.

Attachments

• Switch back.jpg
    Switch back.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Switch front.jpg
    Switch front.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 84