HH Scott LM35 Unbuilt Kit

kvflyer

I bought this built LM35 some time ago. I have now purchased an unbuilt kit. Needless to say, a few items are missing. They would be the assembly manual and of course someone nicked the two Telefunken ECC82/12AU7. But I have some of them so no worries.

Here is a picture of the assembled version that I have. It has a brown AC cord and has the appropriate HH Scott logo on it. I have had it for years and have not plugged it in.

LM35_Front_w.jpg

LM35_right_w.jpg

LM35_Left_w.jpg

And here is the unassembled/unbuilt one. Notice that this has the later light brown AC cord, even though it is a brown faceplate LM35. I don't know if Scott made the LM35 KIT with a gold faceplate. I know the 335 has the gold anodized faceplate.

LM35_kit_chassis-w.jpg

All of the additional parts including new screws, new knobs and Scott even included a very nice screwdriver for the set screw in the knobs. Wire cut to length. And I will tell you that those two plastic tubes were filled with something that looked just like ear wax (sorry!) but it cleaned out. I used the same technique that you use to clean a gun barrel. Coat hanger wire bent into a very small loop at the end, and bore cleaning patches (for .30 cal) and lighter fluid.

LM35_kit_parts_w.jpg

A new faceplate that has never had finger oil smeared around the controls. Even though it is in plastic and there are no marks in the plastic, it does have a very few marks. Those marks must have been on it from the factory because I broke the dried up cellophane tape seal on the plastic and there are no holes or marks in the plastic that corresponds to the few marks.

LM35Face_kit_w.jpg

The new under chassis image. I will replace the white Ceracaps before I start construction. Yes, Construction. I don't care if it "destroys" the value. Money is not the object. Building a vintage HH Scott kit is the issue.

LM35_kit_under_w.jpg

A close-up of the power supply area. Yes, it does have some green on the cadmium plating. That will be carefully removed outside.

LM35_kit_PS_w.jpg

And I guess I get to fill in the tag! It does say LK-10 in the lower corner. Don't know if they used the same tag as an LT-10 because that would be the companion part. I do have a couple of LT-10 tuners and an LT-110 or two. All brown faceplate. I have already packed both of these MPX adapters away so I can't look at the other one.

LM35_kit_tag_w.jpg

Does anyone have an LM35 assembly manual please?

Thanks

What an odd kit- it looks like they did all the heavy lifting by presoldering and aligning the multiplex chassis.

I don't have the manual- but I wish I did. Good luck with the project.

You might be able to figure it out from the schematic. I do have the manual for the LT-110 which includes the assembly and schematic for it- many of the instructions are probably similar.

Supposedly these units are sensitive to synergy with the mono tuner- it needs to be in top alignment for the multiplexer to see a strong 19K pilot signal to trigger from. There is a great article here that describes the alignment (a bit more complex than the one in the LT-110 manual)

ftp://ftp.flinkinc.com/media/hhscott/docs/hhscott_tuner_alignment.pdf

Good luck!

Wow! Very cool. Wish I had a manual for you. You might have to do some reverse engineering from your other unit. Good luck!

Thanks for the comments. I am sure I can wire it since I already have an assembled unit. And, the LT-110 as well as other tuners and receivers have the same MPX assembly in them. Scott did all of the critical wiring and it was most likely already aligned from the factory. But all bets are off since that alignment was done 50 years ago!

I have the complete (step by step) assembly manual for the LM-35 but it's about 30 pages long and need to be scanned, then I'm not sure it will fit this forum due to the attached files size limitations. There are also two extra pages with the 335/LM-35 service bulletin including complete alignment procedure. The pre-wired MPX sub- assembly was factory aligned but will very likely need re-alignment today, especially if you replace all the failure-prone (ceracap) capacitors. It is highly recommended to check and reform the main filter electrolytic capacitor (C1) before powering up the unit. A few years ago I assembled a N.O.S LC-21 preamp kit and found both filter caps were defective due to the long storage time in unpowered condition. Remember these parts are 50 years old now and shelf (storage) life for electrolytic caps is usually only 2-5 years.

The AK database can accept documents up to 20MB but if you send it in, I can probably shrink it enough to fit. Then it will be available for everyone to download.

I have the complete (step by step) assembly manual for the LM-35 but it's about 30 pages long and need to be scanned, then I'm not sure it will fit this forum due to the attached files size limitations. There are also two extra pages with the 335/LM-35 service bulletin including complete alignment procedure. The pre-wired MPX sub- assembly was factory aligned but will very likely need re-alignment today, especially if you replace all the failure-prone (ceracap) capacitors. It is highly recommended to check and reform the main filter electrolytic capacitor (C1) before powering up the unit. A few years ago I assembled a N.O.S LC-21 preamp kit and found both filter caps were defective due to the long storage time in unpowered condition. Remember these parts are 50 years old now and shelf (storage) life for electrolytic caps is usually only 2-5 years.

All of the above is absolutely correct. I have not built Scott tube equipment. But I did build an LT-112B-1 in 1967. I still have it somewhere. Now, I have several Scott amplifiers and tuners. I have restored a few. Most of the capacitors get routinely "re-stuffed". Even if they do form, they are a time bomb with the fuse already lit.

Is there some way that you could make a hard copy (photo copy) and then I could upload to AK.org for others? I realize it is a pain, and if you really feel trusting, I could scan it and return it to you. For that matter, I could give you some kind of security etc. That way, we could offer it to all. Just a thought...

Last edited:
The AK database can accept documents up to 20MB but if you send it in, I can probably shrink it enough to fit. Then it will be available for everyone to download.

I have located an assembly manual scan that I got somewhere. It has duct tape on the binding and it has .1 uFD Ceracaps in the pictorial. So, I know it isn't mine. The copy I have is ~ 9 Meg. I could email it to you? I know that I have an older copy of the original version of the LK-72 showing the two .05 uFD disc caps in parallel going to the 7591 grids. I can't find it right now because the house is in a mess preparing to move from MD to FL.

Let me know and I can send what I have tonight...

No problem. Just send anything you've got to files@akdatabase.org and I'll post it to the DB ASAP. I uploaded one LK-72 manual already - not sure if yours is the same?

Still looking for an assembly manual for the LK-48B (my personal plug). While helping out with the AK Database, I'm making the Scott section my personal project. :D

No problem. Just send anything you've got to files@akdatabase.org and I'll post it to the DB ASAP. I uploaded one LK-72 manual already - not sure if yours is the same?

Still looking for an assembly manual for the LK-48B (my personal plug). While helping out with the AK Database, I'm making the Scott section my personal project. :D

Before I waste your time and upload the same LK-72 manual, I will look at it. Eventually when my move is over, I will find the early LK-72 assembly and scan it. Several people want the early schematic that shows the 7199 instead of a 6GH8/6U8 etc. I have a few hard copies but they too have temporarily escaped me. I will look and see what else I have. I think I have a tuner assembly manual. I have a few of the Allied Radio Knight-Kit assembly manuals scanned. Some are tube, some are transistor.

Is there some way that you could make a hard copy (photo copy) and then I could upload to AK.org for others? I realize it is a pain, and if you really feel trusting, I could scan it and return it to you. For that matter, I could give you some kind of security etc. That way, we could offer it to all. Just a thought...

I will scan the complete manual and compress the files to a manageable size to be uploadable to the AK database (never done that before and not sure how it works),or to my private webspace server if everything else fails. This will take a couple of days due to my very busy schedule at this moment, but be sure I'll do it.

I've already assembled a few old N.O.S unbuilt electronic kits by SCOTT, EICO, HEATHKIT, KNIGHT,etc... It can be fun but the main problem is allways the slight surface oxidation of all metal parts which tend to compromise the soldering process. After all, these were not packed airtight and some oxidation is normal after 50+ years. Before starting any assembly work I would suggest to carefully clean and de-oxidize all the metal parts which need to be soldered (solder tags and tie points,tube sockets,switches,etc...). The best tool I found for this purpose is a glass fiber-pen. All metal parts to be soldered must be clean and shiny. This may take an hour (or more) but when finished the soldering will be smooth and easy and a reliable product will result . The SCOTT-Kit assembly manuals are the best and most detailed I've ever seen and even surpass HEATHKIT in clarity. Building a SCOTT Kit is a real pleasure, as you will soon find out. Really no way to going wrong with these...

I will scan the complete manual and compress the files to a manageable size to be uploadable to the AK database (never done that before and not sure how it works),or to my private webspace server if everything else fails. This will take a couple of days due to my very busy schedule at this moment, but be sure I'll do it.

I've already assembled a few old N.O.S unbuilt electronic kits by SCOTT, EICO, HEATHKIT, KNIGHT,etc... It can be fun but the main problem is allways the slight surface oxidation of all metal parts which tend to compromise the soldering process. After all, these were not packed airtight and some oxidation is normal after 50+ years. Before starting any assembly work I would suggest to carefully clean and de-oxidize all the metal parts which need to be soldered (solder tags and tie points,tube sockets,switches,etc...). The best tool I found for this purpose is a glass fiber-pen. All metal parts to be soldered must be clean and shiny. This may take an hour (or more) but when finished the soldering will be smooth and easy and a reliable product will result . The SCOTT-Kit assembly manuals are the best and most detailed I've ever seen and even surpass HEATHKIT in clarity. Building a SCOTT Kit is a real pleasure, as you will soon find out. Really no way to going wrong with these...

That would be great and I appreciate it. I won't be doing anything soon on this LM35 because I have packed it for the move to Florida. As for the slice switches, they certainly are black with silver oxide (or whatever) and will certainly be of need of DeOxIt.

Thanks again,
Don

... I uploaded one LK-72 manual already - not sure if yours is the same?

... :D

I checked the LK-72 Manual on the AK database and it is the same one that I have so thank you! I don't think that I have an LK-48B manual but will check.

Cheers Mate,

One more thing, I found the original schematic of the early LK-72 with the 7199 AF amp/Phase Inv. I will see what I can do about getting a scan and uploading it.

DWG Number is D-LK-72-C1 sub 1 dated 10/18/60. So it is early.

I just checked my stuff and to not have an LK-48B instruction manual. I do have tuner manuals though, LT-10, LT-110 and LT-110B (from memory).

I scanned the full SCOTT LM35 manual and it is available for upload, but the 17Mb pdf file is too big and returned as undelivrable. (see below) Any idea ?

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

files@akdatabase.org

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 552 552 sorry, that message size exceeds my databytes limit (#5.3.4) (state 18).

I scanned the full SCOTT LM35 manual and it is available for upload, but the 17Mb pdf file is too big and returned as undelivrable. (see below) Any idea ?

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

files@akdatabase.org

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 552 552 sorry, that message size exceeds my databytes limit (#5.3.4) (state 18).

I have had the same problem at times. Can you break it in half, send one half and then the other half and then it can be combined? I don't know if my verizon dot net will allow a file that size or not. You might send it to me. I have Adobe Acrobat and may be able to use the file reduce function or something like that.

I know it is a lot to scan and I appreciate your effort. Surely, we can get something going here.

I have had the same problem at times. Can you break it in half, send one half and then the other half and then it can be combined?

That's what I've done: broke the file in two parts with winrar and sent them separately. No delivery failure messages so far, hopefully it should appear in the AK database soon. Stay tuned...

That's what I've done: broke the file in two parts with winrar and sent them separately. No delivery failure messages so far, hopefully it should appear in the AK database soon. Stay tuned...

Thanks so much for your efforts. Ultimately, we will succeed! Let me know if I can help.

Success! I received them, rejoined the two parts and it is now available for download on the AK Database. Thanks guys. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom