• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Monster's Miles Davis Tributes arrive! A review.

JimmyNeutron

Super Member
I was going to continue this on my other thread about Monster's warranty, but since that thread was headed south real fast, and because this is a review on the Tributes I felt it deserved it's own thread. First, a recap: I originally bought the Monster Copper Pro IEM's (In Ear Monitors) back over the summer. The Copper Pro's retail for $399.99, a substantial amount for IEM's. Monster claims to have a lifetime warranty no questions asked on thier phones, and I was able to put that to the test when my wife washed my Copper Pro's when I accidentally left them in my pants pocket (pendejo) :no: .Well, off they were returned to Monster. 4 months later (this January) and the Copper Pro's are still on backorder. The Manager asks if I'd be interested in the Miles Davis Tributes instead ($499.99 retail), and still be able to return to the Copper Pro's in the future. I agreed, and today they arrived via 2-day Fed Ex. :banana:

Hot Dang! These are an experience while still in the box!!! They ooooze class all over and show incredible attention to detail. The box is a leather grained cigar-shaped box with a velvet flap. In gold pressing is the Miles Davis logo with "the man and his trumpet" embossed on the front. Opening the box reveals a felt lined interior fold-out type flaps. On one flap in a double CD of Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" Legacy Edition, and underneath that a small blue carrying pouch with a magnetic latch for the phones. The pouch is velvet lined and stitched - very expensive quality for such a small part. On the right side of the box is the top layer which holds the Tributes and underneath them another "flap type" pouch of similar stitching with an embossed logo badge. Removeing the top layer reveals another lower layer that holds a packet holder of various sized ear tips, and below that another (!) very awesome looking hard case that is velvet lined with a steel trim for your new Tributes. This case is very sturdy, very beautiful, and also includes a velvet cleaning cloth for the phones. There is a lot of "blue" and "velvet" going on here and it's because, from my understanding, that Miles Davis favorite color was blue and his favorite cloth was velvet. Hmm...who knew. Still, lifting even that layer revealed 4 additional bags of various sized ear tips, an instruction (!) manual, user's guide, and warranty card. All this was in addition to the Tribute phones!!! This kind of detail and expense is just absurd and shows how special these IEM's are even before putting them in your ears. :thmbsp: Now, the Tributes themselves. Wow.....:drool: These things are lovely. They really are, and seeing pictures of them do no justice at all. They are heavy (which could be a good thing, or a bad), they are insanely detailed with the Monster logo, color, shape, and the Miles Davis name. I have never seen any IEM come close to these Monster IEM's. They are serious gems, no doubt. The cord is thinner than my Copper Pro's for some unknown reason, and are blue (the color grows on you). They retain the same 90 degree headphone jack that makes it fit nicer on a portable, and the cord has minimal micro-phonics. Let me just say this about IEM's in general - no matter how much they cost they will all sound like crap if you don't use the proper ear tips. From my experience with the Copper Pro's I knew which ones I needed - 2 different sizes actually, as one of my ear canal's seem to be smaller than the other. Thank God Monster supplies you with such a huge assortment of shapes and sizes.

I intend to use these Tributes mostly with my iPod running 160 gigs worth of pure lossless ALAC files :music: . The Monster line of IEM's are so revealing that you just cannot have anything less than the best in files and formats - mp3, regardless of bit rate, just won't do. I understand that these Tributes cost twice that of my iPod, but it's well worth it. They will show what your player is capable of and will make it shine. But at the same time if you feed it anything lower than the best it will too show you the ugliness of lower bit depth files. With that said, I had no burn-in time on these Tributes and expect them to fully bloom within 50 or so hours, but man.....what music they can play :music: .

They sound very similar to the Copper Pro's, with maybe an ever so slight bit less midrange (or maybe a midrange not emphasized as much) than the Copper Pro's. But bass is there - articulate, deep, realistic bass. Finally to have this low end in IEM's is a welcome. The highs are clear, and the midrange very revealing. When listening to Rodrigo Y Gabriela's 11:11, you can easily hear the plastic pick hitting each string, then the note, then the "natural" decay of not just the note, but of the steel strings as well. This kind of micro-texture is uncanny. Adele's voice on her 21 album is beautiful. But with these Tributes you can hear the raspines and throaty texture. Her music takes on new dimensions when you hear these small details that just lack on other IEM's. The width of the soundstage is wide and deep. I found that listening to the Tributes (or the Copper Pro's too) is like listening to a home sound system rather than headphones. This is almost like the holy grail of headphones -- to be able to dissappear and totally immerse you in a soundfeild that is both wide and non-fatiqueing - just like your home system. You will get frequent goose bumps listening to these - no doubt. Warm, inviting, lush, deep and impactfull , and always natural sounding is how I describe them. They sound "real" :music: . These will most probably be the last set of IEM's that I will ever buy - I mean with a lifetime warranty I'm always guaranteed of getting a new set every time these need replaceing. :thmbsp:
For the last 6 hours that I've been using them I've cycled some Sarah Maclachlan, Adele, Rodrigo y Gabriela, RUSH, Dream Theater, Miles Davis, Al DiMeola, Carly Simon, Norah Jones, and Acoustic Alchemy.

Breathtaking is how I describe them. For comaparisson I used the Klipsch S4 IEM's. I bought these as an interim while waiting for my beloved Copper Pro's to return from warranty. They cost me $100.00 at Best Buy. I believe most people will stay in the $100.00 range when buying a pair of IEM's (I really don't know for sure). These are nice, but pale in comaprisson to the Monster's. The S4 are light - too light. They feel cheap. I know this does not play on performance, and most people want a light set of IEM's, but to me I have to have something with some weight behind it. The weight of the Copper Pro's and the Tributes do not detract from, or make it harder to wear them in daily use. They have a excellent balance of weight and size. And although the S4's soud is very good, they do not have the finesse of the Monsters. I think I will continue to use the S4's on my HTC Sensation phone, and the Tributes will stay on my iPod.

It's too bad Monster gets a bad name as a blanket just because they cater to a huge swath of people and needs. They make some incredible stuff too, and very easily set the bar and standard. I expect the next few days will prove to be more revealing as I listen to more music and allow more burn-in time. :music:

Because of the limitation of how many pics can be posted, I will continue with the pics next.

Jimmy


UPDATE: I've been burning in the Tributes and have probably about 50 hours on them so far. I don't believe in burn-in on some things like cables, wires, solid state devices, etc, but on a mechanical *thing* like headphones I do. These phones have changed their sound considerably since they arrived. The bass is loosening up. At first I thought it was that the crystal clear highs were dulling somehow, but what is going on is in the bass section. This "looseness" seems to melt over onto the lower mids and overtake the highs a bit. Not muddy them out completely, but instead you notice this bass exaggeration a bit more. I've read many reviews say the same thing, but that in about another 20 to 30 hours and the diaphrams will settle and the bass will sit and stay at a tight and deep signature. I'll post back next week to report on this.

The build quality is holding up very well. One of the week spots in the Turbine line is the wire that goes into the earphone tends to pull down - actually not the wire but the rubber boot. No sign of that happening on mine. Some people also have reported that the LEFT earphone will stop working. Strange that it's always the LEFT - proves it's a design flaw. This particular Tribute that Monster sent me is new and directly from the latest batch that was made and suppossedly the problems were fixed. I have no issues so far. :music: I still am amazed at the quality of these Tributes. They feel nice, they look nice, and they sound nice. If they had any other name on them I'd bet they would be recieved even better than they are now. But once you hold them in your hands and listen to them, then your opinion starts to change... for the better :music: .

Finding the right tip is essential and proving to be a learning experience for me. These are In Ear Monitors, and so they require that they sit inside your ear canal. They also require that you completely seal off the outter ear and all outter sounds in order to get that accurate deep bass and crystal clear highs. Monster sends about 15 different types and sizes of ear tips, and believe me, I've been trying on each and every one trying to find the right tip for me. Everyone will be different, and because many people may not find the right tip for them they might interpret the lack of highs or bass, or just plain quality of the Tributes (or Turbine in general) as haveing a cheap and not worth it sound. That's why it's so very important to find that perfect tip for your ears in particular. Only then will these babies really show you what they can do. :music:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Here are some eye candy:

IMG_1973.jpg


IMG_1976.jpg


IMG_1977.jpg


IMG_1978.jpg


IMG_1980.jpg


IMG_1981.jpg


IMG_1988.jpg


IMG_1989.jpg


IMG_1990.jpg


IMG_1991.jpg


IMG_1992.jpg


IMG_1993.jpg


IMG_1994.jpg


IMG_1995.jpg


IMG_2002.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the review & pics, nice looking ipod case, what make is that? I've seen a few from time to time but yours is one of the neatest I've come across.
 
It's a Vibe Vault. Go to their site and they have all types of colors for different makes of ipods. All aluminum - very sturdy, and very nice looking.

Jimmy
 
Great review! I have Klipsch Custom-3 (discontinued), which I love how detailed they are. They have the same problem as the Monster, if you feed them MP3's or poorly recorded material they will not hide those imperfections and won't sound very good. But, with the proper material they are sweet. My only concern is paying $500.00 for IEM's, when there are $300.00 IEM's that will sound the same or beat them. In your review you mentioned how the S4's, $100.00 (you can find them all the time for $60.00), sound very good, but don't have the finesse of the Monster MD's. Is that finesse worth the extra $400.00? IMO, the Copper Pro are a better buy.

Having said that, no one can deny Monster makes a good product, and their attention to detail is flawless. Enjoy your new MD Edition!
 
Great review! I have Klipsch Custom-3 (discontinued), which I love how detailed they are. They have the same problem as the Monster, if you feed them MP3's or poorly recorded material they will not hide those imperfections and won't sound very good. But, with the proper material they are sweet. My only concern is paying $500.00 for IEM's, when there are $300.00 IEM's that will sound the same or beat them. In your review you mentioned how the S4's, $100.00 (you can find them all the time for $60.00), sound very good, but don't have the finesse of the Monster MD's. Is that finesse worth the extra $400.00? IMO, the Copper Pro are a better buy.

Having said that, no one can deny Monster makes a good product, and their attention to detail is flawless. Enjoy your new MD Edition!

Yes, one of the biggest problems with very revealing IEM's is that if you have poorly recorded music that may sound OK with other earphones, once you listen to them thru something like the Klipsch or MD they will sound horrible, and many people at that point will point their finger at the earphone :nono: . At this level of performance in the game you really need the whole chain to be top notch :music: . I had the Copper Pro's and moved up to the MD Tributes - and the difference is really very small - mostly a rise in the midrange on the Tributes that Monster says sounds better with Jazz style music. The tributes do sound terrific with the Miles Davis CD "Kind of blue". When I tried for comparison the Klipsch S4i the sound was .....well....it was good, just no where near the dynamics, the detail, and the finesse of the Tributes. That's not to say that the S4i's are bad earphones. Instead they are, and sound like a $60.00 earphone. Most people will be fine with them, I'm sure. For me I find them better suited for use on my HTC phone becuase that player is not as good as the iPod and because of the limited memory of the phone all my music on it is 320k mp3. The S4i's color the sound to a big degree that I can't tell the differences between LOSSLESS and MP3's - they sound the same. But the iPod with the Tributes will immidietely show you that you are listening to mp3's or FLAC/lossless.

The price of $499.99 (retail) does *seem* high, but really not at all. It's actually one of the best bargains in the earphone world without a doubt. Remember, with a $499.99 (retail - you can find the Turbine series for up to half off on the net) you not only get one of the best performers of IEM's around, but you get them for the rest of your life!!! :thmbsp: How many times does one buy earphones in their lifetime? Once a year? And at what price? $100? $200? When you purchase the Tributes (for example) on Amazon for $299.99, Monster will, for the rest of your life, replace those earphones with ANY other current $499.99 earphones in their line! You can even mix and match if you want! I am guaranteed for life to always have a $499.99 set of earphones from Monster. I know of no one else that offers that kind of warranty. If in 2 years Monster develops a new really hardcore, incredibly high end earphone that the whole world loves and can't live without ;) I'm guaranteed to have them, and so on, and so on.... Think about it.... I never have to buy earphones again. The Turbine line is a very good and highly recieved line (unlike that horrendous Beats line), and I never have to buy one again. :music:

And one thing I forgot to mention in the review which completely blows me away... that incredible box and packageing that the Coppers, Gold's, and Tribute's come in? All those nice pouches, bags, snap-boxes, ear-tips? All Monster asks when you send in your earphones for replacement is for you to send just the earphone in a cheap box - nothing else. You keep ALL THOSE GOODIES! Monster, when they send you your new set, sends you a whole new boxed set! New pouches, boxes, etc for your other IEM's to use as you want! :yes: It doesen't matter if "Monster has soooo much mark up it doesen't cost them anything", or "it's just good PR", or whatever. No one else in the WORLD will give you, on a constant basis, these goodies to keep, along with an incredible set of IEM's! Good PR? Hell yeah! They got my attention..... and my money. And I could'nt feel better about it. Maybe they're doing this to change people's opinion of them - to get them some really great IEM's and the whole experience, and to continue to give them that experience whenever they have issues. That's a great deal in my book.

Jimmy
 
Last edited:
Nice review, glad you like them!

But use paragraphs, man! It was tough to read.

LOL!! :D Ha! Ok, ok. Fixed. It should be an easier read on the eyes of old farts like us. I could have just written one long sentence with no periods and capitalizations and have it be one long 500,000,000 millions word like this you know what i mean and then at band camp i bought some new shoes i took my kids to the park soon afterward there was a break in the earths crust and swallowed everyone then the army came and we ate chicken........ :drool:

Jimmy
 
2 things, the replacement is limited to ONE complete replacement, not unlimited, also they allow if you damaged them, they will replace them too.
They also had a sale over the weekend offering them for $149 and then an additional 10% off for $135. Free shipping. With state tax I paid something like $144.
 
2 things, the replacement is limited to ONE complete replacement, not unlimited, also they allow if you damaged them, they will replace them too.
They also had a sale over the weekend offering them for $149 and then an additional 10% off for $135. Free shipping. With state tax I paid something like $144.

No, the replacement is lifetime unlimited replacements. I've been talking to several Monster managers and they all confirmed this. You can even cross-replace your phones for any other phones in there line. That's what I did on my first replacement - my wife washed my Copper Pro's and Monster asked which ones I wanted as a replacement. I said I'd take the Tributes. Then last month I sent back the Tributes and now I'm back on my Copper Pro's. 2 complete replacements - no questions asked. Management again confirmed that for the life of the line I can still continue to replace them if they ever get damaged for "any reason, my fault or not". :thmbsp:

Jimmy
 
They also had a sale over the weekend offering them for $149 and then an additional 10% off for $135. Free shipping. With state tax I paid something like $144.

That's an incredible deal. Management said they are discontinuing the Tributes for the Trumpets. I love the Tributes, but prefer the Copper Pro's.

Jimmy
 
Jimmy, sounds real nice and I'm happy you like them. I thought that, since you like your Monster's so well, I would ask you if you have any of their cd/dvd's?

If you don't know, go to monstermusic and review their cd's. FYI, I have 3 of Monster's cd/dvd combos. They refer to them as "super disks". As I type this, I am listening to their "George Benson & Al Jarreau, Givin' It Up" cd via my Shure 840 headphones. Fabulous cd and sound. This comes with a dvd (no video) and is in 5.1 surround. It is a great surround mix (my opinion). If you like this type of music, you will love this disk combo.:yes:

I also have the Peter Cincotti, "Live in New York" disk combo. Not as good of a surround mix, but I love the music:music:. My favorite of the two for the music. I also have Vince Gauraldi's (sp?), "Charlie Brown Christmas".

Just thought you might be interested.
 
Totally OT, tongue-in-cheek rant; you guys have a lot of beautiful wood to take pictures of your equipment on. My sad house has few one or two pieces of wood in it that would look good. Some days I would rather have a house with more wood and less stereo equipment.

Can I still be in the club after that admission?
 
Jimmy, sounds real nice and I'm happy you like them. I thought that, since you like your Monster's so well, I would ask you if you have any of their cd/dvd's?

If you don't know, go to monstermusic and review their cd's. FYI, I have 3 of Monster's cd/dvd combos. They refer to them as "super disks". As I type this, I am listening to their "George Benson & Al Jarreau, Givin' It Up" cd via my Shure 840 headphones. Fabulous cd and sound. This comes with a dvd (no video) and is in 5.1 surround. It is a great surround mix (my opinion). If you like this type of music, you will love this disk combo.:yes:

I also have the Peter Cincotti, "Live in New York" disk combo. Not as good of a surround mix, but I love the music:music:. My favorite of the two for the music. I also have Vince Gauraldi's (sp?), "Charlie Brown Christmas".

Just thought you might be interested.

I did not know they had cd's and dvd's. I'm gonna go and peruse their catalog. Thanks for the info.

Jimmy
 
Totally OT, tongue-in-cheek rant; you guys have a lot of beautiful wood to take pictures of your equipment on. My sad house has few one or two pieces of wood in it that would look good. Some days I would rather have a house with more wood and less stereo equipment.

Can I still be in the club after that admission?

The wife loves wood. Am i allowed to say that? :scratch2: :D

Jimmy
 
Back
Top Bottom