Rule Brittania - UK building new supercarriers

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Anyone else following the construction of the new British Super Carrier Queen Elizabeth (65,000 tons). A very interesting technical exercise. She is being built in sections in 6 different shipyards around the UK, and being brought by barge to Rosyth for final assembly. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me. Biggest ships ever made for the Royal Navy, but still only 2/3 the displacement of a Nimitz/Ford.

HMS-Prins-of-Wales-Queen-Elizabeth-class-aircraft-carrier.jpg

6050470738_3075114b73.jpg
bow1i.jpg

And yet the isle itself proved to be the most useful carrierof all in WWII. I was following the construction a while back but lost track. So they didn't cancel them after all? Any plans to give one the best name for a warship, ever? By that I mean, "HMS Warspite"?

Both are named already. Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales.

Brits always had the coolest warship names.

I was always a fan of HMS Conquerer and HMS Thunderer.

Kewl ! Great to see that Great Britain STILL "Has it"...

Nice boost for the industry. Likely the biggest ships built in the UK since the QE2 in 1968. Other than some Belfast built tankers, I think.
QM2 was built in France!

They will be carrying the F35C, the carrier variant. Prince of Wales will be built with the new electro-magnetic catapults, just like the Ford class. Queen Elizabeth will be retrofitted with them.

The Brits sure know how to build ships. I toured the former Royal yacht Britannia while in Edinburgh last year. That thing was built like a mini battleship, and maintained to almost insane standards.

I shall thank you for imbedding that bloody tune into my brain for the next 6 hours by offering this.

You're welcome. Any time.

If I would have known it was that easy, I would have posted that ages ago.

And yes, I did click your link. Dammit!

Now our carriers will have something to fight; it's been SO long since Leyte Gulf.

Not much of a fight, to be honest. Her full, wartime complement will be 36 F-35's. And they won't have all their planes for another 15 years or so...

Not much of a fight, to be honest. Her full, wartime complement will be 36 F-35's. And they won't have all their planes for another 15 years or so...

If they even get 'em goin' by then. I've read the F-35 is sort of a "Jonah", too heavy, too expensive, too this & too that. But, I can't remember the LAST plane that didn't have all the same charges levelled at it, this will prolly be the the same way.

Kewl ! Great to see that Great Britain STILL "Has it"...

Seems silly when the UK has cavitation torpedoes that can break the keel of a carrier and put it on the bottom in minutes. They'll sell these torpedoes to almost anyone with the cash. Saw a film of one of these torpedoes breaking a large frigate into two pieces and completely sinking it in 15 seconds.

Navies are SO 20th century.

If they even get 'em goin' by then. I've read the F-35 is sort of a "Jonah", too heavy, too expensive, too this & too that. But, I can't remember the LAST plane that didn't have all the same charges levelled at it, this will prolly be the the same way.

Better than the F22, which has been asphyxiating pilots.

Actually, the F35 is a rebuild of the YAK-141 that the Russian Navy gave up on two decades back. Same design team at Lockheed-Martin developed both planes in association with Yakolev. The F-35 is a little shorter but otherwise nearly identical.

Give me a Sukhoi 50 ANY day.

As long as you guys still have a rowboat and a Lee-Enfield you'll be the world's finest. I ain't kiddin' either.

Rule 1 of warfare - don't get involved in land wars in Asia.

Rule 2 of warfare - leave the British the hell alone, unless you have a plan to eliminate all of them at once.

Back
Top Bottom