Finally got my KLH Model 6's restored... pics inside!

pabs911

Here is my latest restoration effort on a pair of KLH model 6 speakers. I stained and lightly sanded the cabinets as well as recapped the x-overs with poly caps. I didn't have to do anything to the grills or grill cloth. The badges were also very nice. I'm guessing by their serial #'s that they were made in the late 60's. I am a big vintage KLH fan, and I love the way these look and sound.

_MG_6471.jpg

_MG_6475.jpg

_MG_6479.jpg

_MG_6481.jpg

:banana::banana::banana: Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine have the vinyl cabs (so I greatly envy your walnut) Those look gorgeous!!!!!:yes:

Those look so nice. Great job. I have had a lot of KLH speakers and sold all of them. I miss my 6's and 17's the most. I hope to come across another pair.

Thanks guys. I really enjoy working on these old speakers, but most of all, I can't get over how great they sound after all these years. All they need is a bit of TLC and BANG! The bananas start dancing!

:banana::banana::banana:

Those are beautiful! I just hope the Twenty-Threes I'm in the middle of end up looking that nice.

I think the spray painted tweeters are an indication of early production too. I've only ever seen it on older Sixes, Seventeens and Twenties.

John

Those are beautiful! I just hope the Twenty-Threes I'm in the middle of end up looking that nice.

I think the spray painted tweeters are an indication of early production too. I've only ever seen it on older Sixes, Seventeens and Twenties.

John

I switched out the tweeters though. The original tweeters were silver, but one of them was dead, so in the interest of matching them, I put in the black ones.

I switched out the tweeters though. The original tweeters were silver, but one of them was dead, so in the interest of matching them, I put in the black ones.

Aha! Fooled me on that one! ;)

What did you use for a finish? Recently I've been using wipe on poly or tung oil but I've been thinking of using linseed oil & turpentine this time which I believe is what KLH used. The surface on yours looks exactly like what I want to achieve though, so I'd like to consider that as well.

Now, if I could only stop listening to these Twenty-Threes and get back to restoring them...............

John

Aha! Fooled me on that one! ;)

What did you use for a finish? Recently I've been using wipe on poly or tung oil but I've been thinking of using linseed oil & turpentine this time which I believe is what KLH used. The surface on yours looks exactly like what I want to achieve though, so I'd like to consider that as well.

Now, if I could only stop listening to these Twenty-Threes and get back to restoring them...............

John

I used Howard's Feed-n-Wax to polish them after staining them with a special Minwax stain concoction I mixed. I'm going to try tung oil eventually just to see how I like it, but this finish is easy to keep up, and it allows a nice patina to build up.

I used Howard's Feed-n-Wax to polish them

I love that stuff. We just redid our living room to mid century and have a lot of nice wood (speakers included) in the room. Every time I use that stuff it makes the wood look fantastic. I just did a set of Wharfedale W60's with it that were in OK condition and freaking WOW :yikes:

They look great, hope the models got come out that great. I would pass on the tung oil myself, they look nice already.

They look great, hope the models got come out that great. I would pass on the tung oil myself, they look nice already.

+1
Beeswax is a legitimate finish especially for antique furniture. It just requires upkeep and provides less protection to moisture. So, no martini glasses (or any of their cousins) are to rest on your speakers.

Don't even think about plants.

Of course I know you won't!

I used Howard's Feed-n-Wax to polish them after staining them with a special Minwax stain concoction I mixed. I'm going to try tung oil eventually just to see how I like it, but this finish is easy to keep up, and it allows a nice patina to build up.

I shoulda recognized that! I've used Feed-n-Wax on things other than speakers (furniture) and like the appearance it yields. It's not a particularly hard or durable finish but if you apply it periodically, several times a year, it maintains its looks and protective properties.

[EDIT] I just remembered! I did use Feed-n-Wax on a pair of Nova-7Bs. Like your Sixes, they looked really good.

John

Back
Top Bottom