Fisher XP 7 Speakers

audioattic

I was just wondering if the Fisher XP 7 speakers are any good.
They are in really great condition for the age and have all badges still attached. Real wood veneer also in great condition.
They sound good but the tweeter is very dull sounding.
What year do you think they were made?
I picked them up at a Thrift Shop for $20.00 for the pair.
Very well made speakers and cabinets.

From what I've read on AK the XP series are very good Fisher speakers. The tweeter "dulling" could be corrected by recapping the crossovers or it could just be the design in the original crossover to let the top end roll off some. Here is a link to an older AK thread about some XP series speakers. Don't know for sure but I would assume the XP series was manufactured late 60's to early 70's.:thmbsp:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNHS95wlDWpb6-LKykpa2oB8NNaMxw&cad=rja

Thanks for the link. Interesting comments. The bass and mids are excellent on them. Just the sound from the egg tweeter seems muted. But maybe a recap would work. I dont know if it is worth doing it or keep them the way they are.
I bet they would sound good on an Fisher tube amp.

Recapping these is fairly cheap. Usually under $20. If they sound dull, putting new caps will definately brighten them up.

I have that model. FYI, there are a bunch of XP-7 models, usually designated A B C etc. The first ones had no letter extension and yes, the dome tweeter. Mine were DOA, which is very common, I'm told. So the low output could be due to age; they get hard. There was a thread here on someone who rebuilt theirs, I think, but it was way too much work for me. I replaced them and recapped. Very nice speakers, well-built. Hard as heck to get the 12-inch woofers out; they don't fit past the trim! You really have to take your time and be patient. Enjoy!

I have never recap speakers before. Is it hard to do and where do you find the parts for vintage speakers. I have a pair of AR 3A speakers that I would like to restore. They still sound great, but I am sure they would sound a lot better recapped.

I have never recap speakers before. Is it hard to do and where do you find the parts for vintage speakers. I have a pair of AR 3A speakers that I would like to restore. They still sound great, but I am sure they would sound a lot better recapped.

Easy to do if you can solder. Parts at any electronics supplier. I like Parts Express for that. I wrote a tutorial on how to do it. Search for 'how to recap your speakers like a boss.'

Back
Top Bottom