Any Squeezebox Touch users here have this problem?

Anubis

A sad day for my Squeezebox Touch and me this past Saturday. I went to turn it on and nothing happened. It had worked the day before. All I got was a black screen. It’s only 3 months old. Tried different outlets and still nothing. I looked at the back of the unit while plugged in and noticed a flashing red light in the TOSlink (fiber optic) input.
So I called Logitech support and they are going to take care of everything thank goodness. The hard part will be waiting.
When I spoke to the rep and told him the problem he said that it sounds like the power supply went faulty and may have fried the Squeezebox as well. He did state that the power supplies going faulty are a common problem with the Touch and happens often. He also scared me when he mentioned that the Touch itself could be fried because I never move the thing and I don’t play with any mods, firmware or software. He said that a faulty power supply could fry the box (a not so common problem), depending on what happened with the power supply. He said he is shipping a new power supply at no charge and if the box still doesn’t work with trying to new power supply, then they will ship me a brand new box also at no charge.

I’m wondering if anyone else here with a Squeezebox Touch has experienced a power supply issue? Just curious because the guy said it is a common problem for the power supplies to go bad which speaks to the build quality being poor.

My SB SB3 is 4+years old, SB Boom 3+ years old, SB Touch 2+ years old and SB Radio 8 months old. No power supply failures.

So far, it sounds like Logitech is doing a good job standing behind their product. Keep us posted. My SBT is about the same age, very happy so far.

So far, it sounds like Logitech is doing a good job standing behind their product. Keep us posted. My SBT is about the same age, very happy so far.

Yes, so far Logitech is doing a good job of standing behind their product just judging by what the rep said to me. I'm just wondering if I will need to do this every 3 months. I can't imagine it though as that would really screw Logitech having to replace everyone's SBTs all the time. I quess one slips through the cracks every now and then, but the rep made it sound like an ongoing issue. At least they didn't assume I had done some kind of mod to it or something which I would never do because frankly, these new fangled things scare me. I just want them to work as designed and that's enough.

I was absolutely delighted with my SBT when it was working.
I'll keep everyone posted on this. At the end of the day if Logitech does what they say it will all be good and hopefully my SBT be it the original one I have or a new one will keep me rockin for a very long time.:yes:

Last edited:
I have a SB Classic and a SB Receiver. Never had a problem with either. Sounds like you be enjoying your SB very soon.

Well, if the new 5 volt power packs are anything like those from a bunch of other stuff I've seen, the common fault is the Chinese Greenie capacitor in the power supply.

I just crack them open and put a panasonic cap in there, problem solved.

The bad cap causes low voltage out, so it's somewhat unlikely it'll fry the SB.

Marc

Well, if the new 5 volt power packs are anything like those from a bunch of other stuff I've seen, the common fault is the Chinese Greenie capacitor in the power supply.

I just crack them open and put a panasonic cap in there, problem solved.

The bad cap causes low voltage out, so it's somewhat unlikely it'll fry the SB.

Marc

Ah, good to know. I havea feeling the SB is fried by that very thing. Makes wonder how often it is going to happen. I don't want to crack open the power supply and mess around or the warranty will be void.

Ah, good to know. I havea feeling the SB is fried by that very thing. Makes wonder how often it is going to happen. I don't want to crack open the power supply and mess around or the warranty will be void.

I know of at least 10 different squeezeboxen with friends and family, all working perfect without power issues. I wouldn't wonder how often it's going to happen, you just got unlucky that's all.

If it does by chance happen again, I would start looking at a power issue on your end.

I know of at least 10 different squeezeboxen with friends and family, all working perfect without power issues. I wouldn't wonder how often it's going to happen, you just got unlucky that's all.

If it does by chance happen again, I would start looking at a power issue on your end.

Your probably right about it just being an unlucky unit. (Worked fine for just under 3 months though). It should not be a power issue on my end as everything else is fine. I had it plugged into an expensive APC surge protector too. Perhaps I'll go pick up a new surge protector. Knowing how sensitive the Squeezebox is, the slightest little thing can blow it. Now I'm trying to think of what kind fo surge protector or what have you to get for it. Of course if the fault was the power supply, no surge protector would help.

I do not think the slightest little thing can kill your squeezebox. You should see what my SB3 has been through. FYI, if it is not the power supply, a dead wireless card will also make it play dead, or at least it does with the classic.

I do not think the slightest little thing can kill your squeezebox. You should see what my SB3 has been through. FYI, if it is not the power supply, a dead wireless card will also make it play dead, or at least it does with the classic.

I buy that too. At any rate they aren't going to fix it, they will just send a new one if that's the case.

I was supposed to have received my new power adaptor today, but it did not come. If it does not show up tomorrow I will be calling them with my ticket number. I want to get this resolved if they don't mind.

Update - sbt is ok and working again!

I received the new power adaptor today and plugged it in and...WOOHOO! :music:My SBT fired up sweet as you please! Everything on and in the box is fine, no issues!! Whew, I was hoping it wasn't fried.
So it was the power adaptor. I can now squeeeeeeze once again!!
I love my Squeeeeezebox!!!!!!:music::banana::music:
The rep I dealt with at Logitech was very attentive and knew what he was doing. I sent them a note of thanks.

Back
Top Bottom