Buddshepherd
New Member
I have a Rek-o-Kut K33H with a Fairchild 282 tonearm. When I got it the tonearm was off of the bearing pedestal. I got it back on but the actual needle bearings that it pivots on are broken.
I can't find anything about the 282 tonearm other than seeing them sell for what seems insane amounts of money on the auction site.
I really can't sell this as it was given to me to listen to and fool tinker with and not to turn around and sell for a couple hundred dollars.
I have a heavy base and a Sure M97 cartridge (which came with it) and I like it. My hearing is not so good so it doesn't have to be perfect anyway.
However, it has popped off of the pivot again and I need bearings and instructions or knowledge of some sort. I would rather not spend multiple hundreds of dollars this.
If I had photos or diagrams of what it should look like I would try making a new pin. The bearings are about the size of small wrist pin bearings and I think I could adapt.
If you look at the photo below you see that the bearing goes into a pin that is drifted into the mounting pedestal. The pin is easily removed with brass punch but the bearings are harder steel than the pin so you can't drill them out. Tiny drill bits seem to burn up really fast and the lathe in our shop is not a jeweler's lathe...
Thanks for any information.
I can't find anything about the 282 tonearm other than seeing them sell for what seems insane amounts of money on the auction site.
I really can't sell this as it was given to me to listen to and fool tinker with and not to turn around and sell for a couple hundred dollars.
I have a heavy base and a Sure M97 cartridge (which came with it) and I like it. My hearing is not so good so it doesn't have to be perfect anyway.
However, it has popped off of the pivot again and I need bearings and instructions or knowledge of some sort. I would rather not spend multiple hundreds of dollars this.
If I had photos or diagrams of what it should look like I would try making a new pin. The bearings are about the size of small wrist pin bearings and I think I could adapt.
If you look at the photo below you see that the bearing goes into a pin that is drifted into the mounting pedestal. The pin is easily removed with brass punch but the bearings are harder steel than the pin so you can't drill them out. Tiny drill bits seem to burn up really fast and the lathe in our shop is not a jeweler's lathe...
Thanks for any information.
Attachments
Last edited: