Got a good one for speaker id!

amcdrew01

Hey, folks. Well, I don't post much at all, but I'm always stopping in here at AK. I'll try to be a better contributor/sharer from here on out....:)
I'm a SERIOUS collector/appreciator/reseller in the Northern Va. area and have met quite a few fellow AK'ers through my audio adventures....If you're in the No. Va. area and would like to get together, or start a Vintage Audio Club- LET ME KNOW! :)

OK, check out these cool little funky "DIACOUSTICS" speakers and let me know if anyone's ever heard of these?? The dimm's are: 21 3/4" H, 7 1/4" D, 13 1/2" W. Woof/Mid/Tweet are 8", 4", 2" respectively. The woofer's surround isn't butyl rubber (polyprop?) with no rot and is like-new/soft and supple. All 3 are mounted in cast steel baskets/frames and are sealed with putty. I would be surprised at what the crossover, if any, looks like? They weigh ~15 pounds each, so they're not lightweight, even though they look that way.
At first, I thought they were pretty cheap, but they're actually pretty sweet. I got them for free along with a near-mint JVC JR-S61W receiver from the original owner that bought them new together in late 70's from a store in Minnesota, or Michigan? I sold the little JVC but mildly regret it (as I do with a lot of gear I eventually cycle through), for it was a very crisp, clear, clean receiver.
I've pictured them alongside my ADS L780's for size comparison.
They sound VERY GOOD and sound better when given a tad more power (90-92db @ 1W range?).
Hope that's enough for now, but let me know if you need any more info.

Attachments

• HOPESTONE 007.jpg
    HOPESTONE 007.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 139
  • HOPESTONE 006.jpg
    HOPESTONE 006.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 141
  • HOPESTONE 011.jpg
    HOPESTONE 011.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 88
  • HOPESTONE 014.jpg
    HOPESTONE 014.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 84
  • HOPESTONE 020.jpg
    HOPESTONE 020.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 127
  • HOPESTONE 008.jpg
    HOPESTONE 008.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Curious - does the manufacturer code on the back of the woofer start with "117"? The pincushion pattern on the polypropylene looks similar to that on the woffers in my Shahinians.

Neat find!

Don't know- I haven't taken it apart and probably won't since everything's puttied in.
I can't find ANY info about Diacoustics, and that's actually a first for me in the years that I've been collecting/listening to vintage gear!:scratch2:

Are you confident the woofer hasn't been replaced? The rest of the speaker looks rather older than the woofer.

AK ROCKS....The woofer's been ID'd! Check out the pic's. I re-inspected the putty and saw that there was actually 2 different substances: a rock-hard one and then the softer putty around the woof.
Sure enough! It's a good ol' RS 8"! Thumbs-up for Nat & cjpremier!!:thmbsp:
Also, nothing like really pink fiberglass damping material! :banana:

Now, there's just the issue of who/what were "Diacoustics"???

Attachments

• HOPESTONE 035.jpg
    HOPESTONE 035.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 46
  • HOPESTONE 036.jpg
    HOPESTONE 036.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 48
Those have what looks like the same basic little cone tweeters that my RtR's had in them before I swapped them out for Vifa soft dome tweeters.

I'm a SERIOUS collector/appreciator/reseller in the Northern Va. area and have met quite a few fellow AK'ers through my audio adventures....If you're in the No. Va. area and would like to get together, or start a Vintage Audio Club- LET ME KNOW! :)

Welcome to AK from Va Beach

May I recommend you make plans for this get together in May.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=421843

Great bunch of guys and a good time.

Hey, folks. Well, I don't post much at all, but I'm always stopping in here at AK. I'll try to be a better contributor/sharer from here on out....:)

OK, check out these cool little funky "DIACOUSTICS" speakers and let me know if anyone's ever heard of these?? The dimm's are: 21 3/4" H, 7 1/4" D, 13 1/2" W. Woof/Mid/Tweet are 8", 4", 2" respectively. The woofer's surround isn't butyl rubber (polyprop?) with no rot and is like-new/soft and supple. All 3 are mounted in cast steel baskets/frames and are sealed with putty. I would be surprised at what the crossover, if any, looks like? They weigh ~15 pounds each, so they're not lightweight, even though they look that way.
At first, I thought they were pretty cheap, but they're actually pretty sweet. I got them for free along with a near-mint JVC JR-S61W receiver from the original owner that bought them new together in late 70's from a store in Minnesota, or Michigan? I sold the little JVC but mildly regret it (as I do with a lot of gear I eventually cycle through), for it was a very crisp, clear, clean receiver.
I've pictured them alongside my ADS L780's for size comparison.
They sound VERY GOOD and sound better when given a tad more power (90-92db @ 1W range?).
Hope that's enough for now, but let me know if you need any more info.

I know this is an old post, but I just came across a pair of DIACOUSTICS speakers. I can't find anything on them. I was wondering if you ever came up with any answers about them. Age, Quality, Where they were made? I'm curious. any info would be great.

Back
Top Bottom