Shunyata Venom 3 vs. Grant Fidelity PC-1.5

ictwoody

I like vintage gear — my preamp is from 2007.
Anyone directly compared both of these power cords? I want to buy a pair of nice PC's for my DAC and one of my amps. They are both about the same price and I have read good things about both.

- Woody

You may ask this Q in the Grant forum... I have no reference to the Grant, but I have a friend that is absolutely in love with his Venom 3's.... I also trust his ears as he pretty much has my system at his house..

I'm still using the old stock cords in my stuff. I try to be in the "alot for a little" camp, budget-wise, and I tend to think power cables are more the "little for alot" camp.... My opinion and budget restraints speaking here...

Last edited:
You may ask this Q in the Grant forum... I have no reference to the Grant, but I have a friend that is absolutely in love with his Venom 3's.... I also trust his ears as he pretty much has my system at his house..

I'm still using the old stock cords in my stuff. I try to be in the "alot for a little" camp, budget-wise, and I tend to think power cables are more the "little for alot" camp.... My opinion and budget restraints speaking here...

Thanks for your thoughts, Paul. My system is getting pretty amazing as of late and it's boiling down to the minutia of it... For me anyway. I figured I'd see what a nice PC did for my DAC and my Cary amp.

I've ready good things about both, but Grant from GF is giving me a good deal so I think I'm gonna try a couple of those first. We'll see if I can tell a difference.

- Woody

Yeah. After having two DAC-09's in my arsenal the 11 is a nice step up. Grant has said they voiced it using their PC-1.5 and he and a couple other users say that the DAC takes a pretty noticeable step up from the upgrade.

Right now I'm switching between some EL84 monoblocks being fed by the tube out from the DAC as a preamp, and my Cary SLA-30 being fed through the DAC direct out through an Luminous Audio Axiom 2 passive. I have two sets of speaker cables hooked to the amps so I can swap back and forth. I need more comparo time... But right now I think the Passive/Cary combo is beating the hell out of the monos into the Sheng Ya V-518's I bought from AK member RetroStereo.

All the times I've read stuff online where people use these terms like "air" and "space" and "PRET" and "speakers disappeared" I kinda chuckled... Until I experienced it and it took my breath away. I would say that FLAC files from my MacMini > into the DAC via optical > direct out into the Axiom > into the Cary with GE tubes > Sheng Ya's is downright amazing. The speakers not only disappear, but I would describe it as engulfing. It's crazy. I'm selling off most of my excess gear and using the funds to make these little upgrades like cables etc...

My learning curve, in big part thanks to AK, has been quite steep over the past 1.5years I've been immersing myself in this hobby. I'm about to be over the gear and get back to it being about the music. I feel like I truly have a reference quality system.

- Woody

^ Woody I will be very, very interested in your findings with regard to the GF PC-1.5....I too am of the "a little for a lot" camp on PC's. But I will be soon also in the tweeking phase of my system. I still have a couple components to add, then I can tweek.
I am pretty much only interested in a PC for my DAC11........so let us know when you get them.

cheers!

^ Woody I will be very, very interested in your findings with regard to the GF PC-1.5....I too am of the "a little for a lot" camp on PC's. But I will be soon also in the tweeking phase of my system. I still have a couple components to add, then I can tweek.
I am pretty much only interested in a PC for my DAC11........so let us know when you get them.

cheers!

Will do. I'm parting out a Dual TT and I should be ordering the PC's by the beginning of the week once I sell a couple of the main parts.

- Woody

I'm a believer in PC's. I've bought 3 in the last couple of months. A Virtual Dynamics on my CD player, Signal digital on my amp, and Granite Audio on my pre. Got 2 of them used here on AK, and the Signal off the Gon. They really make a big difference if you are happy with your system overall. Deeper bass, more of a black background, and just more dynamics overall.

Make changes slowly, and switch the PC's around. If you get them new, they do take time to break in.

Thanks for your thoughts, Paul. My system is getting pretty amazing as of late and it's boiling down to the minutia of it... For me anyway. I figured I'd see what a nice PC did for my DAC and my Cary amp.I've ready good things about both, but Grant from GF is giving me a good deal so I think I'm gonna try a couple of those first. We'll see if I can tell a difference.

- Woody

That is where PC's have done the most for me. Tough to recommend one because the results can depend on what the cord is plugged into. I buy used and lose little if it doen't work out. I do like the Harmonic Tech AC-11 on amps.

Back
Top Bottom