Looking for used Technics SLxxxx help

Cosmic Gate

Hope someone can maybe point me in the right direction as I am scratching my head regarding which choice of used Technics SL DD range I should get. I used to be a DJ and I still have quite a lot of records and I still buy from time to time. Normally I would buy a used SL1200 but I dont really want to pay the prices I have seen advertised these days as they seem to be going for more than what I paid for my first new ones many years ago, as I am not interested in the Deejay side of thing anymore I have seen some nice alternatives in the SLxxxx range, not sure which one would be best and how much I should pay really. My budget is up to $200 for a deck that is clean. Been looking at the 1700/1800 (MK2) which get good reviews.

Get the 17/18 if you do not mind fully or mostly manual. You should be able to find a good 1300, that has auto + repeat within your range. I did.

Good luck in your search!

Tyler

Thanks for that tyrad. Just a thought! what would the 1400 be like as it seems quite similar ISH to the 1300 on looks anyway.

I'd try to get a SL model that's quartz lock, 1300/1400/1500/1600/1700/1800 all Mk2s. The 1300 and 1600 are full auto, the 1400 and 1700 are semi auto with end of record tone arm return and the 1500 and 1800 are manual like the SL-1200Mk2. The 1300/1400/1500 just about all have failed tonearm lift levers due to a design flaw but the tonearm can be used manually, the repair isn't easy. The 1600/1700/1800 use a belt to operate the arm lift and these can fail due to age and arn't too difficult to repair. You should be able to purchase any of these six turntables with a budget of $200 and might have to allow extra for the repair of the arm lift. If in excellent condition and everything is working prices are generally higher.

I have a SL-1300 and it's great. Solid build as one would expect and the full auto features are very nice.

Back
Top Bottom