Good used .22LR Sporter

PJ62

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
After many years of inactivity, some coworkers talked me in to going shooting with them last week. Had a blast with my old Weatherby Mark XXII, but saw some fancy bolt action centerfire rifles at the range that piqued my interest. What should I be on the lookout for in a classy little .22 bolt rifle? I like the look of the Anschutz sporters, but I don't want to spend more than 3 bills, so I think I need to look used. Not really looking to scope it out, just want some decent iron sights. What are the good little bolt guns I should be looking out for?

Anything classy, even used, seems hard to find 'round here for that kind of loot. The older Remington bolts usually shoot OK, maybe something in a newer Savage Mk I or II.

There are some nice ones like Remington 541T or Browning Model 52C repro that are nice but both likely break the budget...almost certainly the latter would unless you really score.

If you're lucky enough to find a good example, a 1970's vintage Remington 581 can be had for ~$150 in good shape. I picked up one 10-15 years ago on consignment from a gun shop inexpensively (can't remember price). Just for grins, I refinished the (genuine walnut) stock with TruOil, bedded and floated action/barrel (probably unnecessary), and had a gunsmith friend tweak the trigger. It shoots beautifully, pretty much 1 MOA with Wolf Match Target. When I do my part, I've shot 5 shot 50 yard groups the size of your pinky nail. IIRC, spare magazines (5 shot) are tough to find, so make sure you have a good one.

Another recommendation is the CZ American, probably the best bang for the buck in a modern production rimfire rifle. I'm not sure, however, that you could get one for $300 used.

Another possibility is the Savage Mark II. The model with the AccuTrigger has gotten high praise and is relatively inexpensive.

Last edited:
Most all of the Remington 500 series.... I have a 541, as well as a 513T. Went Distinguished with the 513T - a nicer shooting gun would be hard to imagine. They go for around $200 or so.

22 Bolt Action

My like, for the money, the Rugger Model 77-22 came out in late 70's and been in production for many years. Should be able to find a nice one for $300 I have seen many in Pawn Shops through the years. They use the 10 shot rugger rotary clip same as the 10-22 semi auto.

+1 on the 541T. A friend used to have a Thompson Carbine in .22 Hornet. IMO an odd thing but man did it shoot well. Everybody has something they drool for; in my case it's the Ruger #1 single-shot in any caliber, but I can't afford or justify it. Doubt it comes in .22 ;-)

Last edited:
Something else to think about - for way undervalued fun and big bang for the buck, look for "store brand" .22's. I've got a J.C. Higgins bolt action .22 that I paid $100 for, and it shoots darn near one hole groups off the bench at 50 yards.

They have very little value or collectible status, but are usually made by the big manufacturers - Mossberg, Stevens, Marlin, etc.

I know you said bolt action, but why not build a look a like Anshutz. Start with a 10/22 add a bull barrel, trigger job and Anshutz style stock. You will have a FUN tack driver, Tons of options with a 10/22, their Lego's for adults.

I just sold a very nice Ruger 10/22 Target model with blued bull barrel and laminate stock. I had a very high powered scope on it - I just loved that rifle, but didn't shoot it much anymore - new hobbies, ya know? I sold it to a very good friend who gave it to his son. I can highly recommend this rifle as about the least expensive, accurate target .22 caliber rifle out of the box.

Look for a Savage MKII go to the savage web site and do some window shopping. I have a MKII FVT (target peep sights) I put it in a Boyds tacticool stock and its the next best thing to a true target .22. I'm shooting three position at 50' at a .177" diameter bullseye. Amazing how often I can touch that bullseye with it. At 50 yards I'm doing dime sized 5 shot groups off the bench with a Mueller APT scope on it.

PJ, you mentioned that you visited the range with coworkers.
Were they shooting any small-bore items? Ask around and maybe next time they'll bring a couple of examples for you to try. (Offer to buy ammo) Decide what you like and dislike about each one. The 'answer' to your quest might be in your very hands.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys. I have a semi-auto .22 already, a Weatherby Mark XXII with Redfield scope and rings that I bought new with my mowing money in 1978. Was supposed to be the most accurate semi-auto you could buy back then. Used to go out out 3 or 4 times a year with the buddies, but then started the work/family/old age lethargy thing.

The guys I was with recently all had new scoped semi-auto .22 Marlins, Mossbergs, Rugers, that sort of thing. All mass produced Wal-Mart type guns. Nothing against those type of guns, but I was looking for something with a more leisurely, old-world, hand-made type of vibe, a sporter/hunter style that is a better gun than I am a shooter. Not looking to scope the gun, just do some straight up shootin'. The old US made bolties from the 50s/60s sound intrguing, I don't know much about them. I burned the midnight oil last night reading up, it seems the guns I like I can't afford unless I get very lucky. Trying to decide new vs. used. Looking at the Zavasta 5, but that seems to have QC issues, maybe a CZ 513? With transfer and shipping, I'm over $300 there.

There are only a couple of gun stores nearby, one is pretty high priced, the other is run by a real tool. There is a Gander Mountain 30 minutes away with a pretty worn looking 1960s Anschutz with great lines for over $500, and a Cabela's an hour away, don't know if I want to run up there every weekend checking the racks, but there are several FFL guys near me, so it looks like I will be going online......the adventure begins!

Last edited:
Something else to think about - for way undervalued fun and big bang for the buck, look for "store brand" .22's. I've got a J.C. Higgins bolt action .22 that I paid $100 for, and it shoots darn near one hole groups off the bench at 50 yards.

They have very little value or collectible status, but are usually made by the big manufacturers - Mossberg, Stevens, Marlin, etc.

Yours was most likely like mine. Took a 7rd Marlin mag and was a Marlin mod 80. It was a tackdriver. :thmbsp:

Sometime ago I read a shootout between 10/22 semi against a bunch of bolt action sport .22 rifles. It was in some popular shooting magazine. Turns out the stock 10/22 carbine is as accurate or more accurate than a lot of name brand bolts. Based on that I bought one. I was not disappointed...

Yours was most likely like mine. Took a 7rd Marlin mag and was a Marlin mod 80. It was a tackdriver. :thmbsp:

That's it, I believe. Also known as a J.C. Higgins Model 42 DL. When I first took it out, I wasn't expecting much..... but damn.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom