Have You Seen Or Owned a Spinning Record Rack Like This?

Taylor Player

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I stumbled across this Mid-Century/Danish Modern record rack and had to bring it home. I can't recall ever seeing anything quite like it. Fully loaded, it holds about 550 records and actually becomes more stable.

It's a quality build and I'd love to know more about it but unfortunately there are no labels or markings of any type on it.

Have any of you seen or owned a rack like this before? If so, can you shed any light on it?

7179745114_30d10f2d00_b.jpg

I can't shed any light on its origin, but DANG is that thing cool! One of those beauties would go a long way toward solving my record storage conundrum.

That looks amazing! I'm going to try to re-create it with some scrap wood I have laying around. Any chance you could send me some information OP? What would be most interesting is:
- The dimensions of the square piece on top (including thickness)
- Any information (pictures would be awesome) about the turning mechanism on the bottom. That's obviously the most difficult part.

Thanks so much for the inspiration. I will update with pics!

Probably uses a large diameter lazy susan ring bearing, as big a diameter as possible to stop teetering. Uses bearings in a ring sandwiched between two plates.
cool item for sure,

I remember a rack like that from when I was a kid. You had to keep the bottom full or it wobbled. Seemed to need a larger footprint.

Cool rack, would love to build one. I saw something similar at a flea market years ago, but it was a tabletop version (only one tier) and not anywhere nearly as nice construction as yours. Great find!!!

The record rack looks great - I'd have snapped it up for sure!
IKEA had an interesting gadget at one point - a shallow cabinet to hold CDs with drawers that tipped forward so you could see the side labels. Its maybe 5 drawers tall. They were originally designed to be screwed to the wall (had no back), I bolted 2 of them together back to back and mounted a lazy susan underneath. Like the record rack, once loaded, the media weight made it a lot more stable.

I stumbled across this Mid-Century/Danish Modern record rack and had to bring it home. I can't recall ever seeing anything quite like it. Fully loaded, it holds about 550 records and actually becomes more stable.

It's a quality build and I'd love to know more about it but unfortunately there are no labels or markings of any type on it.

Have any of you seen or owned a rack like this before? If so, can you shed any light on it?

7179745114_30d10f2d00_b.jpg

Great looking design. I too would have snapped that up.

If that is solid teak, you can bet it it was/is extremely expensive. I recently bought a small 24 inch desk organizer and found it online for $575.00. Thougt it was overpriced, but then found that the bare wood alone costs ~200.00. Now that I've rediscovered my love for teak, the billfold is getting depleted. :D I guess we can blame that TV show for the MCM Danish revival.

Neat rack but would rather have that Blues collection !! :)

I don't have the measurements and the unit has moved on to a new owner. I did shoot this video around the same time I created this thread: here's a link, hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQq2DqgcWKI

That looks amazing! I'm going to try to re-create it with some scrap wood I have laying around. Any chance you could send me some information OP? What would be most interesting is:
- The dimensions of the square piece on top (including thickness)
- Any information (pictures would be awesome) about the turning mechanism on the bottom. That's obviously the most difficult part.

Thanks so much for the inspiration. I will update with pics!

Back
Top Bottom