Why house cats make Hifi sound better

VinylRob

Vinylphile
I know this is a very controversial subject and it will probably be heavily contested by those few dog lovers amongst us, or even the fewer AK'ers that think room tunes, cables, and break-in are all imaginary and as we know are probably secretly cat haters too. When my cat Wheels is in the room listening to music with me, the kit actually sounds better, a lot better. And I have explored why this could be. I have done extensive ABX comparison and even my friends notice the phenomena. Even when the girl friend is in the room with the absence of my feline buddy, the sound just isn't as good. Wheels is the perfect foil, never gets into the technical aspects of the Hifi, he don't even readjust my cables to his finicky likings and his very presents keeps me from tweaking. He's smaller than my girl friend, so as an acoustical property, I would expect his passive presents to be less profound. He shows an affinity toward tube amps and is often prone to bask on the rug in their glowing illumination. And as for ears, he seems to be drawn to the very finest in musical variety, as am I and does show much better focus on analogue recordings vs. digital ones as do I. I can't argue, he has better ears than I do. He will repeatedly settle into the sweet spot with me for an album side and when he hears the run out, he gets up so I can do my duties of changing the record (as it's easier for me, I have thumbs and hairless fingers) and then we both settle in for another listen. Listening sessions seem to go on endlessly like back in the day when I was a student and my friends and I were more interested in record collecting than just about anything else... I digress, But my point is this, there seems to be an affinity between felines and Hifi and their very presence seems to makes the listening experience more enjoyable. What could be going on here? any theories? any thoughts?

I even have pictures for the naysayers...

Happy Listening! :beatnik:

Felines have an electromagnetical aura about them that resonates,rearranges and reorders the arrangement of the molecules of the room's atmosphere thus allowing for more efficient propagation of sound waves through the room.

This is a scientific fact. I saw it on the internet somewhere, I just can't remember where.:music:

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Wow,
I'll bet we have some purist here who will find this kind of stuff way to fuzzy-logic in nature for their practical sensibilities.

I knew it was something like that!

Happy Listening!:beatnik:

Ok, it has become obviously apparent that by the lack of posts, the burden of proof for this alleged phenomena is on me, well, here goes...

ed3c14db.jpg

Happy (mouse free) Listening!:beatnik:

I can think of at least one occasion where the reverse was true: Hifi was not better for the cat.

Once upon a time, I had a pair of large home-made cabinets that held 12" coaxes, with a big port at the bottom and no grilles. Unbeknown to me, one of our cats discovered that crawling in that port led to a cozy place to sleep..until I turned on the system and proceeded to play something...I forget what..VERY LOUD. Followed by a loud screech, and the cat high-tailing it out of the cabinet, looking extremely angry. She didn't come into that room again for months...:no:

the difference is the presence of the cat relaxes you, and you enjoy the experience more thereby perceiving it as a better experience than others when you were less relaxed.

I can think of at least one occasion where the reverse was true: Hifi was not better for the cat.

Once upon a time, I had a pair of large home-made cabinets that held 12" coaxes, with a big port at the bottom and no grilles. Unbeknown to me, one of our cats discovered that crawling in that port led to a cozy place to sleep..until I turned on the system and proceeded to play something...I forget what..VERY LOUD. Followed by a loud screech, and the cat high-tailing it out of the cabinet, looking extremely angry. She didn't come into that room again for months...:no:

:lmao:

Ok, it has become obviously apparent that by the lack of posts, the burden of proof for this alleged phenomena is on me, well, here goes...

Maybe people haven't posted, because everyone accepts that cat vibes improve audio quality. That's not controversial — it's science.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Scientist-Cat-1685180.jpg
    Scientist-Cat-1685180.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 816

Wow, I have never seen spec's recommending a maximum db load for a specific tabby. If you had had two, one in each stereo speaker, I am confident the load would have been better distributed. Now like small speakers and wattage, I'm sure there are practical limits.

Happy Listening!

the difference is the presence of the cat relaxes you, and you enjoy the experience more thereby perceiving it as a better experience than others when you were less relaxed.

Are you sure it is really that simple?... As a frustrated audiophile, I was looking for a far more exotic and vastly more complicated explanation.

ed3c14db.jpg

Happy (mouse free) Listening!:beatnik:

That pic looks like it could have came from my camera: holes in jeans, Mac and cat on lap, music on.:yes:

P.S. Capacitors have been proven to capacitate better and break in faster when a cat is in the room according to what I have read on the internet.:scratch2:

That pic looks like it could have came from my camera: holes in jeans, Mac and cat on lap, music on.:yes:

P.S. Capacitors have been proven to capacitate better and break in faster when a cat is in the room according to what I have read on the internet.:scratch2:

Funny, I've read that too, and yes, it was on the internet
...so, it must be true:D

Happy (mouse free) Listening!:beatnik: save, Modest Mouse!

Ouch!

controversial enough? :)
I did say hate, but its too harsh, as she doesn't hate anything; so I changed the verbiage. She just hasn't run into a cat that she really likes.
She always finds the sweet spot when we're listening to music.

nice!

Following the rule: "The bigger, the better", I tried a lion. Wife approval was too low so I got rid of my big cat. Too bad, I miss him now.

Here's the biggest cat I've ever had. Zoe is a big happy orange tabby, during the winter he liked to sit on the Apple Airport Extreme and look out the window. I think he improved the music server sound... Now it's coming on summer and he wants nothing to do with it.

1d90276e.jpg

Last edited:
Following the rule: "The bigger, the better", I tried a lion. Wife approval was too low so I got rid of my big cat. Too bad, I miss him now.

Lions are too big for most systems. It's all about synergy. It's best to start with nothing larger then a Maine Coon, and if that doesn't sound right, trade up to a bobcat, etc. You probably won't need to go larger than cheetah.

Lions are too big for most systems. It's all about synergy. It's best to start with nothing larger then a Maine Coon, and if that doesn't sound right, trade up to a bobcat, etc. You probably won't need to go larger than cheetah.

I would agree, a lion in my house would just be over the top.

Back
Top Bottom