Rega R200 Anti-Skate

Van_Isle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I am in possession of a Rega Planar 3 with a R200 arm that I am cleaning up for a local charity thrift shop that I help out at (yes, someone donated a Planar 3).

It seems it has suffered the infamous anti-skate belt failure. The dial spins with no effect.

I've read a number potential fixes including kits, glueing to a fixed setting, printer belts, VCR belts ...

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Attachments

• Planar3_2.jpg
    Planar3_2.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Planar3_1.jpg
    Planar3_1.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 70
I am in possession of a Rega Planar 3 with a R200 arm that I am cleaning up for a local charity thrift shop that I help out at (yes, someone donated a Planar 3).

It seems it has suffered the infamous anti-skate belt failure. The dial spins with no effect.

I've read a number potential fixes including kits, glueing to a fixed setting, printer belts, VCR belts ...

Does anyone have any other ideas?

If you can get the belt size.

I will go to Lee's Electronics on Main street and try to find you one "closest" on Monday. :scratch2:

Well, apparently it's quite the process to open it up and I probably won't have time to do this prior to Monday. It's a toothed / cogged belt as well. I'm thinking maybe there are some belts in the RC hobby world that would work.

Vacuum repair shops has small tooth/cog belts!

There is a one of those on Main a block before Lee's Electronic.

No rush.

If you don't find it where you are, I will look here.:music:

If you get the size, look for me too, please. I know, I don't live in Vancouver, but if you find one, maybe you can ship it if I pay? I don't know who would have belts here in San Diego.

I like that! I would send it to him to do if he wasn't in Australia :(. I don't trust myself with something like that! Ask Deli, he'll tall you all the things I've borked up! :D :nono:

Ben aka MacKat

FYI I asked the same question over at vinylengine. One interesting answer was a 'string and hot glue' method .... with pics:

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=47703

You might try AK member vinylkid58. He lives in Victoria and may know where to find what you're looking for. Another resource would be dave, aka Planet10 on most forums. He lives near the Highlands, just above Victoria and usually seems to knows where to find just about any audio device or part that can be found in Western Canada. He's not on this forum, but he can be found easily over at the diyAudio forum.

Hope this helps,
TerryO

Hehehe, I thought you were talking to me, and I thought you meant Victoria as in Australia. So I was about to say, no, HE lives in Australia, not ME! (I'd like to live there though!)

Ben aka MacKat

Well, I shall pull this thing apart ... see what is left of the belt ... head down to our local hobby shop and check it out 1st to see if there are cogged belts with the correct spacing. Even if it is too long I think one could:

a) cut it to the proper size and 'glue it' with rubber glue (e.g. from a bicycle tube repair kit).
b) if a belt is available that is just a bit long then one should be able to fashion a 'tensioner'. In fact there was a fellow in the UK selling a kit
(perhaps still is? - it was being flogged on 'that auction site' last September) ... looks like one could fashion a 'tensioner' with a small piece of plastic glued to the side of the anti-skate housing.

I kinda get the feeling that vacuum belts are going to be too big.

Well, I shall pull this thing apart ... see what is left of the belt ... head down to our local hobby shop and check it out 1st to see if there are cogged belts with the correct spacing. Even if it is too long I think one could:

a) cut it to the proper size and 'glue it' with rubber glue (e.g. from a bicycle tube repair kit).
b) if a belt is available that is just a bit long then one should be able to fashion a 'tensioner'. In fact there was a fellow in the UK selling a kit
(perhaps still is? - it was being flogged on 'that auction site' last September) ... looks like one could fashion a 'tensioner' with a small piece of plastic glued to the side of the anti-skate housing.

I kinda get the feeling that vacuum belts are going to be too big.

I like your thinking.

I've searched "toothed belt" on eBay under "Toys & Hobbies" and found a range from a few dollars to $20 dollars.

The tensioner wheel sounds like a good idea too- I can picture a small wheel and pin added to the inside of the housing if needed.

There is a "rubbery" tent patch material sold at REI that may work as a belt joiner, or if the spliced area is kept in a relatively straight plane, something stiffer could also be used.

I haven't gotten the length yet, but I pulled the arm and took the anti-skate dial off (philips head screw on the underside of the dial). The belt has disintegrated into tiny pieces. I've managed to pull some of it out and it appears, using my calipers, to be:

1mm pitch
width = 3.5mm
height of the belt (including teeth) 1.3mm

I also found a forum where one poster asked the question (unanswered of course) to confirm belt dimensions that they found:

1mm pitch (nominal)
no. teeth = 134
length = 138mm
width 3.8mm
height = 1.4mm

I've asked the question of MARRS Communications ... just to see if he has something close.

This tonearm is actually made by Acos in England. This tonearm is excellent. Hopefully someone can find you a solution. After this tonearm, Rega designed their own RB series tonearms in house and have since owned the low price separate tonearm market. When your Rega was new, the Rega importer in the USA was Lauerman Imports, and Steve Lauerman was a good friend of mine and was based in Knoxville, TN in the Old City.

I've asked the question of MARRS Communications ... just to see if he has something close.

MARRS will make a belt but they need exact dimensions. Not sure on the price since I couldn't go further with it at this point ... my belt is in tiny pieces.

... but I'm now officially the happy owner of a partly-working Rega.

Back
Top Bottom