My new Quest - Rogers Studio 1's

SimplySound

Kent Engineering & Fondry
Subscriber
Where oh where might they be?

The Studio 1 features the same speakers as the legendary Spendor BC-1. The dimensions are the same as well.

Spendor Low Frequency unit, 200 mm
Midrange Celestion HF 1300
Tweeter Coles 4001G

Additional Karma here...

1216452482_1.jpg

Last edited:
I really like that tweeter/super tweeter combo. Hope you post a review when you find a pair. There are moments when I think about ditching my IMFs for some of those and a couple (trio?) of distributed subwoofers.

Aside: the B&W DM4 is similar, but with a B&W woof instead of Spendor.

Correction: the supertweet on the Rogers is a Kef t27, not a Coles/Celestion.

Correction: the supertweet on the Rogers is a Kef t27, not a Coles/Celestion.

You're right... I believe that listing was for the BC-1... I think my holy grail just changed to the LS7... supposedly and even more "refined" version of the Studio 1A. But Bextrene is nice!

1255843087921.jpg

Last edited:
You're right... I believe that listing was for the BC-1... I think my holy grail just changed to the LS7... supposedly and even more "refined" version of the Studio 1A. But Bextrene is nice!

1255843087921.jpg
The Rogers LS7, while a good speaker in it's own right, is most certainly not a more refined version of the Studio 1A. That's marketing hype. The Studio I, of which I had a pair, is a superb reproducer almost without peer in its category. The Studio 1 and 1A had two different versions of the Celestion 8 in. woofer, The former Bextrene and the latter Polypropylene. They were both superb drivers. Both cabinets had bitumen panels lining the interior. The Studio 1 had the superb Celestion HF1300 mid tweeter and KEF T27 super tweeter. I believe the Studio 1A had the excellent Celestion aluminium-dome 1 in. tweeter, which is one of the smoothest-sounding metal domes ever made.

Last edited:
The Studio 1 and 1A had two different versions of the Celestion 8 in. woofer, The former Bextrene and the latter Polypropylene. They were both superb drivers. Both cabinets had bitumen panels lining the interior and both models had the excellent Celestion HF1300 mid tweeter and KEF T27 super tweeter.

Minor correction on the 1A Sealy described above;

Rogers 205mm cast chassis Polypropylene cone Bass/Midrange driver of advanced acoustic design, with high flux magnet and KAPTON voice coil former. Celestion 34mm aluminium dome tweeter with Rogers mounting plate.

OK... I could stay with the Studio 1! ;)

studio1a_1.jpg

Last edited:
The Rogers LS7, while a good speaker in it's own right, is most certainly not a more refined version of the Studio 1A. That's marketing hype. The Studio I, of which I had a pair, is a superb reproducer almost without peer in its category. The Studio 1 and 1A had two different versions of the Celestion 8 in. woofer, The former Bextrene and the latter Polypropylene. They were both superb drivers. Both cabinets had bitumen panels lining the interior. The Studio 1 had the superb Celestion HF1300 mid tweeter and KEF T27 super tweeter. I believe the Studio 1A had the excellent Celestion aluminium-dome 1 in. tweeter, which is one of the smoothest-sounding metal domes ever made.

These look amazingly like an early pair of Paradigm two-way speakers.

And giving credit, where credit is due... the Illustrious, but somewhat maligned LS3/6. The fore-father of all of these designs... ok, up to the Studio 1's!

bbcmonitorls36.jpg

Ok, so I have a pair of 1a's ( and also a pair of LS2's) , what do you recommend in terms of updating? recapping? What brand do you recommend? other changes too?

Where oh where might they be?

The Studio 1 features the same speakers as the legendary Spendor BC-1. The dimensions are the same as well.

Spendor Low Frequency unit, 200 mm
Midrange Celestion HF 1300
Tweeter Coles 4001G

Additional Karma here...

1216452482_1.jpg
I had a pair of those. Very nice speakers!! The driver compliment in mine was a Celestion bextrene woofer with inverted roll rubber surround, a Celestion HF1300 low tweeter and a KEF T27 super tweeter. The T27 is an early version with a metal mesh grille protecting it.

I still think they should have used a Nomex instead of Kapton voice coil former.
Ls3/5a type sound but they can play louder and deeper bass and are more efficient. A very worthy 2 way for any critical listener.

I guess I should have stated I was referring to the Rogers ls7 models not the Spendor Bc-1

Last edited:
Ok, so I have a pair of 1a's ( and also a pair of LS2's) , what do you recommend in terms of updating? recapping? What brand do you recommend? other changes too?

Hi Frankie... not sure what to recommend for "updating". You might want to recap them and if you do, get a hold of Falcon Acoustics in England. They have kits for many fo the Vintage British speakers. Not sure if they have one for the Rogers Studio 1A, but they can help you out.

Good luck and start a thread on how the recap goes to spread the Karma! :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom