Audio Pimp Out of Business! MSS Hi-FI

slippers-on

Music...let it move you!
115_W_27th_St2C_New_York2C_NY_10001_-_Google_Maps.png
.....Seems the self proclaimed audio slutt got evicted! This was on the door.

MSS-eviction.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't know they had such a poor reputation overall. I had some dealings with them a couple of years ago, being lured by the "good" prices. Bought a new amp only to find out it was "refurbished". Called them and they did a song and dance about only being used as a show demo. They said I could send it back, at my expense because several others are lined up to buy it. No apology, just lies. I did keep the amp and it has actually been a great buy. But, I hate being lied to and then treated like I am the bad guy.

Anyway, I feel better now being able to vent a bit about these guys finally!

Oh yeah....the guy was very shady....

Oh and that is a very nice Reference system you have there. I love Marantz Reference gear

Last edited:
Thanks! I do enjoy the sound. Had (have) a lot of vintage stuff, Marantz 22XX series (3), Sansui 9090 in my other systems but I love the new gear.

You have a nice system too! I would love to hear your Canton's with the tubes!

I can almost guarantee it'll not be long before the self-proclaimed "Audio Pimp" finds new digs to hang his shingle- likely under a different name. Some people report having favorable experiences with MSS; others quite the opposite. Not an authorized McIntosh dealer therefore factory warranty is void on new Mc products.

Certainly a vendor to use with extreme caution, if at all.

Wigwam, seems a bit harsh. Sometimes we all are lured in by such good deals and assuming (sometimes incorrectly) that all people have integrity we may not get what what we would in an honorable society.

It's too bad these days that we do need to investiagte everyone we do business with to make sure we aren't being fleeced.

I guess I got what I deserved.?.?

Wigwam, seems a bit harsh. Sometimes we all are lured in by such good deals and assuming (sometimes incorrectly) that all people have integrity we may not get what what we would in an honorable society.

It's too bad these days that we do need to investiagte everyone we do business with to make sure we aren't being fleeced.

I guess I got what I deserved.?.?

Let me draw in my horns a bit and apologize. You're right.

My background in this kind of Brooklyn scam is in photography. There are a number of camera 'dealers' in Brooklyn that are notoriously bad ripoffs. Same kind of scam it looks like this guy was running. I used to frequent a photography forum and it seemed like every other day, someone was posting some way-too-good-to-be-true deal that they found online from one of these ripoff artists, and wanted to know if it was for real. We referred them to places like www.resellerratings.com, where they could check for themselves.

Almost invariably, they'd dither and debate back and forth over whether or not it was 'really' a ripoff, but quite often, the lure of the cheap prices would cause them to say something like "Well, maybe I'll just take a chance and see how it goes. How bad could it be?" Well, they'd get burned. And they'd come crying back, whining and bellyaching about how could someone do this to them. Uh, yeah. Your greed overcame your common sense, is how. We told you. Duh.

The thing is, when you deal with a known ripoff artist, you're not 'taking a chance'. Buying a lottery ticket is taking a chance. When you deal with a ripoff artist, you get ripped off. Period. That's how the story ends.

Some people got good deals? Maybe. And maybe they're paid shills or just sock-puppets of the actual ripoff artist himself. Ever think of that?

Is it foolish to trust? Yes, you bet it is, if real money is on the table and the seller is on the interwebs. And if it seems too good to be true, it is. Very nearly without exception.

MSS HiFi?

http://www.bbb.org/NYC/Business-Reviews/home-theater/mss-hifi-in-new-york-ny-125312/

I do apologize for being harsh. But this kind of thing (above) just makes me feel bad about consumers in general. Sometimes it seems you can't stop people from throwing their money away. They're just bound and determined to get ripped off. It's discouraging!

I'm sorry you got stung, I truly am. Please do your research in the future and try to avoid such things.

Wigwam,

Thanks for the comments. I do understand your emotions and you are right as well. We all should be more careful and do a bit more due dilegence before we give someone a chunk of change.

I must have been one of the lucky ones as the unit I got was refurbished but turned out to an outstanding piece of gear that was a good deal. It seems as though I may have been one of the lucky ones.

I have to admit that I grew up somewhat sheltered in the area that I was raised and the environment that I grew up in. It was like a Beaver and Wally Cleaver atmosphere. And about the same time frame too.

I do have a tendancy to trust someone until proven wrong. These days it is the opposite. Trust has to be earned now.

Let me draw in my horns a bit and apologize. You're right.

My background in this kind of Brooklyn scam is in photography. There are a number of camera 'dealers' in Brooklyn that are notoriously bad ripoffs. Same kind of scam it looks like this guy was running. I used to frequent a photography forum and it seemed like every other day, someone was posting some way-too-good-to-be-true deal that they found online from one of these ripoff artists, and wanted to know if it was for real. We referred them to places like www.resellerratings.com, where they could check for themselves.

Almost invariably, they'd dither and debate back and forth over whether or not it was 'really' a ripoff, but quite often, the lure of the cheap prices would cause them to say something like "Well, maybe I'll just take a chance and see how it goes. How bad could it be?" Well, they'd get burned. And they'd come crying back, whining and bellyaching about how could someone do this to them. Uh, yeah. Your greed overcame your common sense, is how. We told you. Duh.

The thing is, when you deal with a known ripoff artist, you're not 'taking a chance'. Buying a lottery ticket is taking a chance. When you deal with a ripoff artist, you get ripped off. Period. That's how the story ends.

Some people got good deals? Maybe. And maybe they're paid shills or just sock-puppets of the actual ripoff artist himself. Ever think of that?

Is it foolish to trust? Yes, you bet it is, if real money is on the table and the seller is on the interwebs. And if it seems too good to be true, it is. Very nearly without exception.

MSS HiFi?

http://www.bbb.org/NYC/Business-Reviews/home-theater/mss-hifi-in-new-york-ny-125312/

I do apologize for being harsh. But this kind of thing (above) just makes me feel bad about consumers in general. Sometimes it seems you can't stop people from throwing their money away. They're just bound and determined to get ripped off. It's discouraging!

I'm sorry you got stung, I truly am. Please do your research in the future and try to avoid such things.

Wigwam, having a background in photography myself, the crooked Brooklyn camera shops were the first things I thought of.
I didn't know there were similar "dealers" in the audio field.

Wigwam, having a background in photography myself, the crooked Brooklyn camera shops were the first things I thought of.
I didn't know there were similar "dealers" in the audio field.

I would suspect they're going to show up in any market of that sort that lends itself to small easily-shipped high-end goods with large markups and protected markets (manufacturers that sell for different prices in different countries). While there are some legitimate gray-market dealers (in the sense that they actually sell what they claim to), the lure is that once you've crossed that line to just go all the way to not shipping, changing serial numbers, not mentioning gear is refurbed or returned merchandise, etc. These are quick-buck artists and they really do not care if their reputation is harmed; there are always enough suckers willing to take the bait. When they get forced out of business, they often just pop right back up somewhere else.

I must have been one of the lucky ones as the unit I got was refurbished but turned out to an outstanding piece of gear that was a good deal. It seems as though I may have been one of the lucky ones.

Indeed you were. The stories are ever present now and all rife with wretchedness.

One poor shmo sent the infamous Johnny B over 22k---never received his gear. I'm sorry but that is just plain stupidity.

Was it a lockout. I would contact the building owner and inquire about purchasing any remaining gear for a months rent.

I bought and sold several things from Johnny, never had a problem. I knew the equipment was used and he was marketing it as such. Before he opened up the shop in NYC he was in the next town over from me. So it was always a face-face transaction. Cash and carry. He used to have a lot of nice high end used gear, it was always fun going for a listen to something or another. He tended to always have Focal speakers.

One time he handed me a box of low end Straightwire speaker cables and says I should buy them. I asked how much, he says $30. I'm thinking 2m, terminated cables, new. Not a bad deal, maybe not the best, but even DIY, it would cost that much in my time and effort. So I open up the box and there are three wires in it. I ask Johnny what the third is for, and tell him I'll take them. The look on his face was priceless when he realized he left money on the table, even if it was only $15.

I'm so glad to hear the saga of Johnny Boey is finally over. He's a classic example of how a bad apple can financially ruin a greedy buyer. I can see how some might be seduced by his sleazy practices, but after reading countless posts on various fora I can honestly say that I would never have dealt with the scum, and warned anyone mentioning him to BEWARE!!!

All I can say is that I got fair treatment from them. Bought my Music Hall turntable and a couple cables from them, but I knew nothing of their more sordid reputation.

Back
Top Bottom