Stanton 500 MKii tracking force ?

Rob.

Hi, I have a stanton 500 MK2 cartridge with d500AL stylus.
What is the best tracking force and anti skating settings for this ?

Heres a pic

7570099178_c96b9a46f3_b.jpg

thanks

Last edited:
Stanton
500 Mk II
http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridg...&dchi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&not=&prlo=&prhi=
rate/review
Type
moving magnet Output Voltage
mV Frequency Response
10Hz - 20kHz Tracking Force
0.5-3.0g Mass
5g

Channel Separation
> 35dB Channel Balance
< 2dB Load Impedance
47k ohms Output Impedance
535 ohms
Stylus
Stylus Tip
Cantilever
Dynamic Compliance
25x10-6cm/Dyne
Static Compliance my guess is 2G + 2G anti skate
I had an 500E some time back it was decent . IIRC it tracked best at 2G vertical + 1.5 -2G anti skate here is thread here at AK on that cart .
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=441541

Last edited:
I think you have the wrong one. Mine is 500 MKII not 500 II

How about the D500AL MKII Stylus ??

Stanton gave the rated tracking ability with this stylus at 3 grams. I would experiment to see what gives you the best results. I liked 3.25 grams in my Ittok arm with the 'table on a rigid isolation platform, but found 4 grams to work better in my dad's old Toshiba turntable which was on a sliding shelf in his home entertainment furniture.

Hi guys, I just balanced the tonearm and set the tracking force to 2.0 and anti skate to 2. I noticed that the weight cannot be adjusted further to lets say 3.5 on my tonearm. It runs out of room, is this normal ? see pics

Also, my counterweight only reaches 3.5 not 5...

Lastly, I'm getting an intermittent loud pop when record is playing.
What could that be ?

e84xn6.jpg

11wa4d2.jpg

fofytw.jpg

That is the range for the 1200 MKII counter weight same for the 1600 1700 and 1800MKII as well since they share the same arm. That is an awfully high tracking force unless you using it for Lp's in bad condition. You might find if you switch to a D71E or D71E-2 that your Lp's will sound better and that stylus can be had for a reasonable price.

Hi guys, I just balanced the tonearm and set the tracking force to 2.0 and anti skate to 2. I noticed that the weight cannot be adjusted further to lets say 3.5 on my tonearm. It runs out of room, is this normal ? see pics

Also, my counterweight only reaches 3.5 not 5...

Lastly, I'm getting an intermittent loud pop when record is playing.
What could that be ?

e84xn6.jpg

REMOVE the accesory counterweight at the back of the counterweight. This will allow you more VTF range (although you don't need it), and will also increase the tonearm effective mass (which could be useful for that cartridge).

That is the range for the 1200 MKII counter weight same for the 1600 1700 and 1800MKII as well since they share the same arm. That is an awfully high tracking force unless you using it for Lp's in bad condition. You might find if you switch to a D71E or D71E-2 that your Lp's will sound better and that stylus can be had for a reasonable price.

What? 3.0g? 3.5g? Not awfully high at all and well within the safe range for the vinyl, if you are using a standard conical stylus.

Plus in my particular school of thought, there is a particular sonic advantage (or flavor) for low compliance and high tracking forces.

REMOVE the accesory counterweight at the back of the counterweight. This will allow you more VTF range (although you don't need it), and will also increase the tonearm effective mass (which could be useful for that cartridge).

huh ? Which is the accessory counterweight ?
show me a pic with an arrow.

Also, is my stanton stylus conical or elliptical ?

huh ? Which is the accessory counterweight ?
show me a pic with an arrow.

Also, is my stanton stylus conical or elliptical ?

If it's the D500AL, it is conical.
In any case, you must use enough VTF to make sure records do not distort (and/or mistrack) at any time. If you use lighter VTF but you hear a trace of distortion/mistracking/sibilance, you are risking damage to your records.

The accesory counterweight is the thing that screws to the back of your counterweight. See stanton681ees's pic.

In any case, you won't need it, since 3.5g is enough adjustment.

Yes Im hearing distortion on the voices/highs.. kinds like a raspy voice.

That's not good. What VTF are you using? 2.0? Too low, especially if the stylus is new (= rubber still a bit harder than std).
Try 3.0g and if it does not work, 3.5g.

How about the alignment? Have you alignment the cartridge using a protractor?

Try using the screw-in auxiliary weight that comes with the SL-1200.
The extra counterweight on the end stub would only make his issue worse, no? That would be used if the cartridge was too heavy to zero out/static balance.

I think what the OP needs is a headshell weight.

Back
Top Bottom