Osawa OS 101 Moving Induced Cartridge

zeplin43

The main reason for opening this thread is first its making me enjoy spinning my lps and very little info availible on this cart,and i am having a great time spinning some lps on this excelent IMHO cart.
Its been spinning for some 30/40 hours on my Kenwood KD 990 TT and it has blended into a one of the carts that will not leave my stable.
Tracking at 2.1gms this cart tracks very well,the tapered cantilever makes this cart sing much to my liking especially on the double bass drum pounding for heavy metal music.
It has an excelent thunderous tight bass,that surports the whole sound.
Soundstage is centered and stereo effect pronounced.
Highs are NOT splashy and sound very real that is not easy to get from other carts i have.
I am enjoying this cart very much.

INF wanted please (manufacturer,stylus options,etc) dont be shy!!

Here are the specs for the OS 101 /201 / 301 cartridges

osawaos101cartridge.jpg

And some fotos of the beast

cartstylusnext.jpg

frontoncart.jpg

headcartsideways.jpg

stylustop.jpg

stylusinside.jpg

This OS 301 pic from VE is to have a view of the top of the cart

osawaos301.jpg

Last edited:
Neat how it uses an unusually small spherical tip .5mil, too bad the specs dont list the inductance. often wondered what happened to Osawa, cartridge resembles a Nagaoka in appearance.

Well i really would like to know who made this cart??
the research i made gives me hints of Nagatron ,Nagaoka but nothing conclusive.
here are some other carts and stylus that seem to be the same maybe this will help to put some more information on this cart.

NEEDLES
ASTATIC N1640 N1642
EVG 3092D PM3092D
FIDELITONE A799
ONKYO DN-1005 DN1005
PIONEER PN-K85
RADIO SHACK RS1041
RECOTON SP813 SP893 813 893
SANSUI SN-28 SN-37 SN28 SN37
SHARP STY-104 STY-122 STY-114 STY104
STY122 STY114
YAMAHA N-2500 N2500 N-2600 N2600

CARTRIDGES
FILDELITONE A214
PIONEER PC-K85 PC-85 PCK85 PC85
SANSUI SC-37 SC-37A SC37 SC37A
SV-28 SV28
SHARP C-104 C-114 C104 C114
YAMAHA CG-2600 CG2500 CG2600
CG-2500

MODELS
DENON DS101
SANSUI 1100 2200 4400 920 100 2200
FR-D25 FRD25 FR-D25B FRD25B FR-25 FR25
SR-212 SR212 IS-660 IS660 IS-770 IS770 IS970
P-D20 PD20 SR-212 SR212

Last edited:
Thks for your help on this research Balifly i had googled up that inf.
I think you have a Nagaoka MP11 can you or someone else tell me if this cart resembles the MP 11 in any way?
I did find this very similar fotos of a Unitra Fonica with Tenorel stylus
mf100d4.jpg

Here is so so picture of the unused MP-11, still in the cartridge case.:music:

Attachments

• July beach pictures 2012-07-29 017.jpg
    July beach pictures 2012-07-29 017.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 85
I have a Osawa OS200mp on a Dual 1257 that I have not been able to find any info about. It is a great sounding cartridge. I hope I can find a stylus for it. I tried a few months back and the only thing I could find was stylus for the os101. Good luck with yours.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 97
I too have an Osawa-branded Nagaoka OS-200MP.

The stylus you want is the N-200MP. Actually, the one you really want is the N-300MP with the carbon fiber cantilever.

The rumor is that Nagaoka was a great admirer of Pritchard's ADC designs. Sure enough, some of their stuff (eg, the OS-101) strongly resembles ADC's 1969-71 models. I believe Osawa was simply the name of the original importer/distributor. UPDATE: I was wrong! Yazuo Osawa's story is much more interesting than that.

Last edited:
I too have an Osawa-branded Nagaoka OS-200MP. You can find some info on the line (100, 200, 300) on page 14 within Michael-Otto's Nagaoka archive:

http://new-hifi-classic.de/Gallery_MO/thumbnails.php?album=241

The stylus you want is the N-200MP.

The rumor is that Nagaoka was a great admirer of Pritchard's ADC designs. Some of their stuff strongly resembles the 1969-71 models. I believe Osawa was the name of the original importer.

Thanks for posting the links and the interesting information.

On a related matter, I have a Nagatrone 185E with out a stylus.

I think I have found a new unused one.

Any information about this company would be very welcome! :thmbsp:

On a related matter, I have a Nagatrone 185E with out a stylus. I think I have found a new unused one.

705-D# is the Pfanstiehl stylus index number for the 185E. So far, all I can find are conicals.
Nagatron was one of Nagaoka's several acknowledged cartridge brands, one presumably meant for the US/NA market. IMS, Nagaoka, Jewel Tone and Osawa are the others I know of. Nagaoka also did covert OEM work for many other far more famous (in the NA market, at least) brands.

Last edited:
Well this cart is a keeper, great for doublebass drums and heavy metal.
So do you guys think the Nagaoka MP 100 stylus will fit this cart??as well.

I have a 101 and it is my favorite cart for some reason. I can't bring myself to get rid of it, even though I have it on a turntable I hardly ever use. It just sounds great to me. That's always subjective, but it is true.

Osawa made two lines of carts - the MP and OS, as I recall. The OS is the lower end one (yours), but it is a lot easier to get needles for those and impossible for the higher end MP ones unless you want to dump a ton of cash. They were related to Nagaoka somehow as a company.

The MP stuff will not fit this, so you are lucky in that those are pricey and hard to find, and that you can find a replacement sub needle fairly easily. The 101 used a .5 spherical. I sub the Sansui SN28 needles in mine. They are conical .7, but sound fine. You can get those off of ebay cheap enough. The jobber number is 698-d7. Every one I have found was great . I suppose if you found a 698-de you would find the eliptical 201/301 needle, and the fit is the same. In theory if you found a 698-d3 you could play 78 rpms!

eb2jim Thk you for some objective information.So is the MP the same cart internally and uses the same stylus as the Nagaoka MP 100/110?
The OS series is also Made buy Nagaoka?? but is a different cart altogether and uses a stylus that fits only the Os series?

I don't believe the MP is the same internally as the OS. They are two different animals. The Nagaoka MP is the same as the Osawa MP from what I have found. I have a couple of the Osawa MP carts in my junk pile. I just can't be bothered buying a needle for them. They don't look like the OS cartridges.

I don't know if the OS stuff was even made by Osawa or Nagaoka. That series seems to have been designed to use the Sansui styli, so it may be an original cartridge designed to use a fairly easy to source needle, or it could just be a re-badged cartridge made by someone else. It may actually be a variant of the Sansui ST28 cartridge. I don't know specifically, and have no Sansui cartridge to compare it with. But it is a well-made and nice sounding cartridge for sure.

Plenty of conical stylus available,actually im not looking for a spare stylus o got 1/2 dozen of these carts for a nice price.
Have not seen a replacement stylus for sale that has a "metal strap" inside the stylus body like the one i have.See pict
So no one can identify the manufacture of this cart???
stylusinside.jpg

Last edited:
What are your opinions on the manufacturer?
I found this pic of a Adc 220 and it looks similar to the Osawa.

adccart.jpg

Back
Top Bottom