SX-626 blowing fuses : replaced amp board caps, transistors and trimmers

leesonic

Captured on security camera...
Subscriber
I bought a Pioneer SX-626 recently. I'm glad I checked the fuses before powering it up, as someone had done the old aluminium foil trick on them. So I replaced them all with the correct 2A ones, sure enough, they started to blow when powered up.

I traced the problem to the power amp board, since with the power amp fuses removed, the main fuse didn't blow. You can actually pull the pre/power jumper, and use it as a tuner/pre-amp. I wanted to get it going properly, so here goes the rest of the story.

I used the list of capacitors and transistors in this thread to place an order with Mouser. Kind of, I did substitute Nichicion KWs for the caps. I also ordered a replacement main power supply capacitor.

Here is a picture of the amp board on it's way out.

PioneerSX-626repair01.jpg

On the workbench, AKA the kitchen table, I was shocked to see ALL the power transistors as dry as a bone, there was no trace of heatsink compound left anywhere.

PioneerSX-626repair02.jpg

Here were are with new caps and transistors in place. The original output caps have a 4-pin design with two pins connected together. Since my new caps were only 2-pin, I had to make a link on the bottom of the board (blue wires).

PioneerSX-626repair03.jpg

PioneerSX-626repair04.jpg

But I wasn't done...

When I put everything back together, the amp still kept blowing a fuse. I researched another thread which mentioned the trimmers could go open circuit. I pulled mine off and tested them, and sure enough, there were a couple of bad ones. I elected to replace all of them, and since I couldn't find anything as large, I made up some little stripboard uprights with Bourns trimmers on, which as luck would have it, I had some 100R and 50K left over from another project.

PioneerSX-626repair05.jpg

With these in place, I was now able to set the center voltage and offset as normal. Here are some pictures of it all back together. Notice I had to use a rubber P-clip to hold the new main power supply capacitor in place, it's a lot smaller than the original. The flying white wires used to set the bias had their bare ends trimmed off, and were hot melt glued onto the output caps.

PioneerSX-626repair06.jpg

PioneerSX-626repair07.jpg

Lee.

Last edited:
Nice job, glad it had a happy ending!

btw, on the chassis mount cap, I make a little pc board to fit over the hole using the band clamp anchor holes to mount the board, and solder the cap to the board.
Just another way to do it, like your trim pot mount boards... :D

Oh, and those "dry" power transistors, for a while Pioneer used a clear glue to glue the heatsink, mica and transistor together, so the lack of white goo was not a problem, unless the glue cracked loose. The killer fault for the board in all likelihood was the trim pots opening up.

Last edited:
Notice I had to use a rubber P-clip to hold the new main power supply capacitor in place, it's a lot smaller than the original.

Nice job!

When I rebuilt my 626, I elected to search for a main cap by dimension, in order to re-use the original capacitor clamp.

What I ended up using was a 6800uf cap..... a little more than twice the value of the original 3300uf one, but it fit the clamp perfectly and seems to be working just fine.

If that was a mistake I'm sure someone will let me know, :eek: ...... but I figured a little more filtering on the PS wouldn't be a bad thing.....

I didn't replace the trim pots though, and now reading about yours I'm wondering if maybe I should go back in and do that preemptively.

Also - it appears you removed the board completely from the unit. I presume you disconnected all the wire wrap connections and then soldered them back in place? I was tempted to do the same thing - working on the board while it was still connected via wire took some creative soldering iron management, but I did managed to get it done. Took a while though, and I used some pretty colorful language along the way.

Last edited:
markthefixer said:
Nice job, glad it had a happy ending!

Thanks! That means a lot coming from someone with your skills.

markthefixer said:
btw, on the chassis mount cap, I make a little pc board to fit over the hole using the band clamp anchor holes to mount the board, and solder the cap to the board. Just another way to do it.

Have to remember that one. :thmbsp:

markthefixer said:
Oh, and those "dry" power transistors, for a while Pioneer used a clear glue to glue the heatsink, mica and transistor together, so the lack of white goo was not a problem, unless the glue cracked loose. The killer fault for the board in all likelihood was the trim pots opening up.

That would be the clear stuff I scraped away from the heatsink with a chisel-shaped blade in my Xacto knife. I used some greaseless insulators I got from Mouser.

Uncle Bambi said:
Nice job!

Thanks also!

Uncle Bambi said:
When I rebuilt my 626, I elected to search for a main cap by dimension, in order to re-use the original capacitor clamp. What I ended up using was a 6800uf cap..... a little more than twice the value of the original 3300uf one, but it fit the clamp perfectly and seems to be working just fine.

Hmmm... I would wonder about using one twice the size. But if it's not causing you any problems, then leave it. Did you rebuild the whole thing, or just the power amp board?

Uncle Bambi said:
I didn't replace the trim pots though, and now reading about yours I'm wondering if maybe I should go back in and do that preemptively.

You might want to, because when they go bad, the two fuses in the back will blow. Hopefully before they take out your speakers, but would you want to find out the hard way? I used a 100R and 50K as stated, the service manual showed 50R even though I pulled off two 100R, and the others are 30K. You could use Bourns multi-turn trimmers, but the ones I used worked fine, just adjust them easy.

Uncle Bambi said:
Also - it appears you removed the board completely from the unit. I presume you disconnected all the wire wrap connections and then soldered them back in place? I was tempted to do the same thing - working on the board while it was still connected via wire took some creative soldering iron management, but I did managed to get it done. Took a while though, and I used some pretty colorful language along the way.

Yeah, I hate working on stuff in place. As long as you clean up the terminals with a razor blade or sandpaper, your soldered connections will be fine.

Lee.

Re: clear stuff scraping >> acetone

Re: soldering old wire wrap pins >> brush on flux (I use flux for copper pipe soldering) before heating, clean up residue afterward, stuff can be conductive.

Hmmm... I would wonder about using one twice the size. But if it's not causing you any problems, then leave it. Did you rebuild the whole thing, or just the power amp board?

I de-ox'ed all controls, premptively replaced the 726 transistors, and then did a complete re-cap followed by bias and offset adjustments

"rebuild" might be the wrong term, because I did not replace any of the other transistors.

You might want to, because when they go bad, the two fuses in the back will blow. Hopefully before they take out your speakers, but would you want to find out the hard way? I used a 100R and 50K as stated, the service manual showed 50R even though I pulled off two 100R, and the others are 30K. You could use Bourns multi-turn trimmers, but the ones I used worked fine, just adjust them easy.

Looking to Mouser in 3 - 2 - 1...... :)

Yeah, I hate working on stuff in place. As long as you clean up the terminals with a razor blade or sandpaper, your soldered connections will be fine.

It is a pain to do it in place, and it often results in a sore neck and maybe one or two broken wires. When that happens, I use MTF's procedure with the flux/solder/cleanup...

ouimetnick said:
Where did you get those TO-3 thermal pads? Also, what is the part number for them?

TO3 pads : Mouser Part #739-A15036002
50K trimmers : Mouser Part #652-3306F-1-503
100R trimmers : Mouser Part #652-3306F-1-101

Lee.

If you check EchoWar's posts on thermal pads in general, he doesn't have a high opinion of them, with the exception of some 2 buck apiece berquists(?).

Mica and thermal transfer compound IS the preferred way to go. (I personally don't trust the pads, which I suspect were developed to compensate for non-skilled or non-motivated production workers. I personally have seen two pieces of non-audio equipment that were killed by inadequate attention to detail in installing mica/thermal transfer compound heat sunk transistors.)

The pads just don't have the thermal conductivity of the mica, plus they are easy to tear or puncture with mounting pressure.

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add my experience repairing a SX-626 that was blowing one fuse for people searching for such information.

I checked the output power transistors in circuit and they seemed good. Then pulled the output transistors and checked them with a volt meter out of circuit and they still appear ok. I powered the unit on, fuse did not blow.

OK, compare voltages between the presumed good channel and the one that blows the fuse and they were very similar so I put the power transistors from the "good" channel into the one that blows the fuse. Still good, no blown fuse! Tried the now presumed "bad" transistors in the "good" channel and still no blown fuse!

I can only presume that the power transistors had a bad connection somewhere. I did not see bad solder so I assume it was the collector screws and nuts that make the collector connection to the circuit board. One transistor on each channel makes a bridge connection on the circuit board so my thinking is that was not making that bridge.

Anyway, pulling and re-seating the output power transistors fixed the rig at no cost.

I just did some work on another SX-626 I had. This one had a bad output transistor as well, so I replaced all of them with new equivalents. I must have enough original outputs to do a complete receiver by now. I pulled the board out, rather than try and work on it in the cramped location. Yes, it was me that dropped it and broke off the corner. Let that be a lesson to you, don't take them out (do as I say, not as I do). I got the board pretty much stripped down to the resistors as I wanted to give it a good cleaning.

PioneerSX-626repair08.jpg

All new caps, transistors, and trimmers.

PioneerSX-626repair09.jpg

PioneerSX-626repair10.jpg

The back of the board, nice and de-fluxed. This is how we roll here at Leesonic's Vintage Audio. If it doesn't move - recap it. If it moves - deflux it. :banana:

PioneerSX-626repair11.jpg

Last edited:
I figured I'd add to this thread, rather than start another one for the same model receiver with the same problems.

Looks like a fairly nice little Pioneer SX-626. It needs a tuning knob, and it looks like the power knob has been put in it's place.

SX626D-01.jpg

Pulling off the power/speaker knob reveals... a screw.

SX626D-02.jpg

Inside looks fairly OK, except for the missing nut on the output transistor, and that transistor has been lifted off the heatsink. But wait, what is that down there?

SX626D-03.jpg

Duct tape! It looks like one channel has been "hard wired" to the other channel.

SX626D-04.jpg
Here is the amp board removed from the receiver. Different outputs on the "good" channel, and looks like a different trimmer in there too.

SX626D-05.jpg
FOUR burnt out resistors, count them (circled in yellow), and a lone replacement (circled in blue).

SX626D-07.jpg

Since I have a bunch of 1% metal film resistors left over from another project, I figured I'd just rebuild the whole thing. After desoldering the remaining components, a lot of acetone got the board looking like this.

SX626D-08.jpg
SX626D-09.jpg

Chasing the setting sun for natural light for the pictures, here are all the resistors installed...

SX626D-10.jpg
Followed by the transistors...

SX626D-11.jpg

And then the capacitors...

SX626D-12.jpg
With all the 626s I've restored in the past, I have enough good Toshiba outputs for this one, I will install them next...

Lee.

I managed to install the output transistors today (see? I told you I had enough Toshiba outputs left over from past restorations), and make some little riser boards for the Bournes trimmers. If you ever lose the screws for the outputs, or need some more, the size is M3 16mm.

I had to get a little creative with the bias diodes or whatever they're called. They were no longer attached to the heatsink when I got this receiver, and I wasn't sure of the thermal conductivity of crazy glue if I glued them back to the heatsink. Instead, I drilled a couple of holes and screwed them onto the heatsink. The anodes attach via the existing holes, on the right side the cathode goes through a drilled in the board, and joins up with the original pad via a short length of wire. On the right side, the lead was long enough to reach the trimmer, which is where the PCB trace ends up anyway. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so have a look at the ones below for clarification.

Lee.

SX626D-13.jpg

SX626D-15.jpg

SX626D-14.jpg

All finished and back together. These receivers definitely have a different sound to them, I hate to use the words "tube-like", but they do sound warm.

One thing I noticed last night. I was listening to some Average White Band, and I kept hearing rhythm guitar fills from Onnie McIntyre that I never noticed before. Maybe it was because I was sitting right in front of the speaker, or maybe it's just these sound so good? Later on, I asked my wife if she was singing, as I was hearing the backing vocals from the other speaker, but sounding like they were coming from the kitchen. Maybe it's the Canadian SPL Monitors playing a part as well?

Lee.

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom