What are the best horn-loaded speakers

CRobinson

Ok, I know that's a loaded question (sorry), as everyone has an opinion, probably a fairly strong one too, when it comes to which are the very best speakers. I really like the sound of horns, but have very little experience with the best systems, and other than my little EV 8HD/1824M T350 setup in a modified Speakerlab 7, have not a clue which systems really are at the top.

I know there are many members on AK that believe horns make the very best systems, and what I'd like to know are which are the systems you like most.

Thanks,
Carter

Here' some modern ideas from a great designer. Pro-audio market but can work in the home as well.

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/

the Parts

Every so often, an individual has an idea that changes things in a fundamental way. Tom Danley’s Synergy Horn™ is one of those ideas. The Synergy Horn™ makes it possible to build loudspeakers that perform the way loudspeakers should perform. In the past, horns have fallen out of favor, not because horns are inherently bad sounding, but because no one could figure out how to build a practical full range horn. The Synergy Horn ™ allows Danley Sound Labs to build full range, point source loudspeakers which are phase accurate, and consistent in response over the entire coverage angle. The Synergy Horn ™ is at the heart of virtually all full range Danley loudspeakers. It is the technology which allows us to put multiple drivers of different bandwidths into a single horn

danley_sh50_MAIN_032.png

There are alot of nice ones. Most are way out of my price range. If you can visit one of the large audio shows for a good selection to sample.

cubdog

Lot's of questions come to mind. Based on the components mentioned, it seems you are asking for the best horn-loaded midrange and horn-loaded tweeters, right? Are you not interested in horn loaded woofers? Just the speaker components, or are you looking for systems with horn mids and tweets?

Also, best ever or best that is available for new retail today? There are tons of good ones out there, and the best way to narrow the field is to describe what you're looking for. What kind of coverage angles are you looking for? How close are you going to place ears to these speakers? Will these be used in a bedroom in a home, or in a stadium?

You know, give a bit more info, and we can help much better.

Another vote for Klipsch Heritage, esp. Cornwall 2's. I've owned Heresy II & Quartet and demo'd Forte II's. Cornie 2's for the win. They can be had w/o breaking the bank too.

Carter, buy anything in the Klipsch heritage lineup,

Another vote for Klipsch Heritage, esp. Cornwall 2's.

That's a pretty rudimentary dip into horns, and little more than a lateral move from what the OP is currently listening to.

The OP's current speakers are very much on par with the heritage Klipsch models, especially where the horns are concerned.

That's a pretty rudimentary dip into horns, and little more than a lateral move from what the OP is currently listening to.

The OP's current speakers are very much on par with the heritage Klipsch models, especially where the horns are concerned.

Thanks for stating what should be obvious. It's easy to recommend something just because one likes it. Rarely is it useful however.

cubdog

I've liked Klipsch from way back when I heard the Khorns at Shrader Sound in NW Washington, D.C. Always wanted a pair and was planning to build the Speakerlab version when I realized they'd be too big for my apartment, and build the '7's' instead. My primary home theater is all Klipsch Reference, which sounds pretty good for what it is.
Although most sane people would never think, I feel my '7's are easily the equal of any of the larger Heritage speakers, LaScala or Cornwall. They were extensively modified, with new enclosures, baffles, mundorf crossovers, and of course, the new horns. Course, I'm probably a tad partial to them after listening now for over 30yrs, so please understand it's just my opinion.
This is why I'm here: to open my eyes, sorry, ears, and hear a new world, the one most of you guys have created.
I heard the JBL Everest's two years ago and never forgot that sound. I'm essentially looking for something along that line, but don't really want to drop $60K (yeah, the wife will understand if I sell our house to buy some speakers). I've seen how some, perhaps many, of the members have bought or built BIG speakers that have tremendous presence, bass, soundstage width and depth. Speakers like EV Sentry IIIs are at the front of my list, but would not be adverse to building something with Altecs.
Probably not looking for horn woofers, as they're usually bigger like the K-horns, and EV Sentry IV (right?) but my listening room could take speakers that size if the sound justified them.
So, what do you guys think of the Sentry III?

Sorry for posting a pedestrian opinion shared by many. I'll try to do better next time.....:rolleyes:

Look over the Danley horns. one horn with all drivers coherently phased and aligned for point source imaging. the subs he makes can make the brown note

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Altec 19's are great semi affordable view into what a good horn system integrated with a good LF driver can sound like. Stunning mid range. It's not all the horn it is how it is integrated too.

I haven't heard the new Danley speakers but if they're on a par with Tom's previous Unity stuff they're first rate.

Bruce Edgar's Titan system was top shelf, I assume Bruce is still in the business.

Many thanks guys for all the good info. Never heard of Danley before, but hey, I've been living in a cave for thirty years, so will definitely check em out.

Tom, what's this about Bruce Edgar's Titan System? Sounds interesting. When I hear the word Titan think of big liquid-fueled rockets that carry nuclear devices - are Edgar's also the 'bomb' in the world of speakers? (sorry, couldn't resist that one). And I thought you were a Sentry III guy - Isn't that your primary system?

-Carter

I admire the Altec Valencia's, 19's, 14's, Klipsch Belles, Cornwalls, LaScalls, Corner horns, Speaker Lab Super 7's, EV Interface D's, Econowaves and yet plenty more!

When it comes to horn loaded speakers there are a LOT to consider ......
DC

Ok, just took a look at the Danley site, and Wow! Hold on, I meant to say WOW! Their stuff is amazing! I had no idea speakers like that existed!

Back
Top Bottom