A format that never was...

Wigwam Jones

Caesar non supra grammati
And never will be. However, if it looks familiar, it should. The concept of a tape enclosed by a cartridge in order to make consumer use easier has been around a long time - this effort dates to 1958.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Yt...e"&pg=PA145#v=onepage&q="stereo tape"&f=false

books

Elcassette, short lived format that was the industry's attempt to combat the effects of the cassette revolution on the tape and record industry.

Great idea that would have been successful if introduced a decade earlier.

Elcassette, short lived format that was the industry's attempt to combat the effects of the cassette revolution on the tape and record industry.

Great idea that would have been successful if introduced a decade earlier.

Actually, this is not Elcassette, and it predates it by several decades. Still didn't work. It was not until the compact cassette was introduced that the cartridge or packaged 'reel-to-reel' format finally took off.

This system pictured was the RCA Cartridge. RCA and Bell made recorders. Bel Canto and RCA made pre-recorded tapes, RCA and 3M made blank tape cartridges available. Didn't catch on. Elcasette was developed in the early 1970's to be a higher quality alternative to open reel. Cassettes were not fully mid fi until the 1971 Advent 201 and it's followers.

We had one of those RCA cartridge recorders (the stereo version!) when I was a lad. I might still have one of the cartridges buried somewhere in the rubble.

Sorry, I was referring to the concept. The Elcassette was not the original conmcept of a packaged reel to reel tape cartridge system but a revival of the concept.

The Advent was not the first hi-fi quality cassette but was the first to make it popular to the masses. Advent had the player only, model 200 from memory. The Wollensak that had pretty much withdrawn to the educational, industrial, commercial and audio-visual markets came out with its stereo recorders for those markets and had released the version the Advent was based on to the home audio market almost a year before. We were marketing them coupled with the mono auto units based on the Philips portable and then its stereo version.

When he cassette was 1st introduced as a dictation format, I remember my old man asking if a stereo version was coming and at the time, the rep said it would never be successful as a stereo audio source b/c records and reel to reel was so much better. I guess he had forsighjt as when shown the first IBM small computer, long before the pc, he told them they would sell it to every company only if it had off the shelfware. They poo-pooed him. He went to a company in NH called Saunders to promote the idea but got the same response.

Somewhere, I think there is a video on Youtube demonstrating this system in use, and all the different models that RCA intended to produce. They really sold the convenience aspect of the system. I believe the ad dated from 1958.

There's another format that briefly existed that's been almost entirely forgotten. Revere (the cheap side of Wollensak) had a cartridge system in the mid-60s that used a single reel in a casing, with a tab attached to the end of the tape which, when inserted in the machine, pulled the tape out and threaded and played automatically. It was even a changer, with up to 20 cartridges stacked up to play one after the other. It was called the Revere M-2, and it appeared in the 1965 Lafayette catalog. I remember seeing prototypes at a hifi show about that time, but its presence in the Lafayette catalog would seem to indicate it actually came to market. There were even prerecorded cartridges available for it. Only $399.00!

I would imagine the almost-concurrent appearance of 4 and 8 tracks, and cassettes, doomed this complicated system.

But with that Revere cartridge system, there was one innovation made for it which did become common, it was the launch of 3M low noise/high output tape. Which improved cassette and slow speed open reel quality. 8 track was in reality, the first commercially successful tape cartridge made and cassette shortly afterward. The Advent 200 player was first, but had many issues with the Nakamichi built transport's high failure rate. The 201 was a success and made from 1971-1978. And was more successful than the Wollensak versions in the hi-fi market.

I've got one of those! And about 10 cartridges. Pretty cool units.

That would be the one I found in an estate sale in Aurora, MO. :thmbsp:

Somewhere, I think there is a video on Youtube demonstrating this system in use, and all the different models that RCA intended to produce. They really sold the convenience aspect of the system. I believe the ad dated from 1958.

RCA didn't "intend" to produce anything. The system actually was in production from 1958-61, and tapes were made for a few more years.

Got one, they are the same head pattern as reel to reel - there were stereo models.

I think they main drawback is they only ran at 3 3/4 ips - so, perhaps somewhat hi-fi, but easily outclassed by reel, in both sonics and in runtime.

You can spool the old cassettes on to reels for playback.

I happen to have one of the Bell units in the trunk of my car right now. Was cleaning out the garage at my "marital residence" which has been sold. I didn't even know I had this thing, it's been sitting there at least 15 years. It has a speed change knob, IIRC it does play at 7.5 as well as 3 3/4. I'll look later...

And several companies made empty shells for the system that could be loaded from open-reel tape pancakes.

Far from being a format that "never was," this setup had a brief moment in the sun before fading away. Mr. Jones, you should run some AK Google searches. There are a few detailed threads about the very real existence of the RCA Stereotape Cartridge, including one I started about the recorder now owned by VinylDavid.

I remember being forced to use these, or their double first cousins, in a Language Lab in either college or hiskule...I don't remember much about them, except that they had OK fidelity for voice work, & looked like they'd been WELL used...This was in the mid-seventies.

Mr. Jones, you should run some AK Google searches. There are a few detailed threads about the very real existence of the RCA Stereotape Cartridge, including one I started about the recorder now owned by VinylDavid.

I meant it in a lighthearted way, but in honesty, there was no significant commercial success. Along the lines of the Elcasette, perhaps. Yes, they existed commercially. You could buy them. But not many, and not for long. It's a fascinating part of audio history.

Had the chance to buy one at a garage sale in the mid 80's . never did. Should have. Those units could also use regular 3" reel to reel tapes as well

Pretty sure I will just keep playing with my 5 ten inch decks and not worry about a format that didn't make it. I used to laugh at 8 track, who wanted to be listening to a song and have it change in the middle of it. How stupid was that.

Back
Top Bottom