Bought Sansui G5700

diddlybopper

Alright guys just to clear the air here and to see if Sansui's do sound sny better I picked up a G5700 of eBay for $76.00 .From the pricing I've seen this seemed pretty decent IF, the machine is as described,we'll have to see!I want to audition it to see if there really is any audio difference between it and a Pioneer or a Kenwood or my Sony ES.I don't have a real "EAR" for this stuff,I do know what sounds good to me.I'll write my review after I receive it.

Ron, everybody knows ther is NO coming back from the Dark Side! :lmao:

(Did you bring me a T-shirt??)

Just a friendly reminder to read EchoWars excellent discussion on Amplifier distortion/
DC offset and You. If your not familiar with this subject, you"ll find it in the Vintage
Solid State forum at the top of the page. Since your interested in comparing electronic
units it would be good to know their DC offset to each other. Some AKrs have found
DC offset as high as 35volts which ruin most speakers. I picked up a receiver at the
local thrift and found it had 50mv on one side and 250mv on the other. To test I
connected an old pair of speakers to the unit and as the unit warmed up the sound
went from poor to awful at that time I checked the DC offset and one side had 500mv.
The sound mostly all distortion. On some units the speaker protection would have
kicked in but not all units have that feature. So it pays to check.
cincy

Cincy...Thanks for the info.
So there's no returning eh?Been on The Dark Side before.Sold off a McIntosh Hybrid once.Wrote it off to old age and senelity..only way I can forgive myself.

diddlybopper
I still have a hard time trying to forgive myself for throwing away my first
HiFi stereo tube integrated amp and tube tuner am and fm on separate platforms.
It wasn't hurting anyone just sitting there on the basement floor until we had a
minor water incursion from a debris blocked outside drain during the early morning
hours while we slept through a heavy rainstorm. Four inchs of water greeted me
when I went into the basement later that morning. During the cleanup the soggy
amp and tuner boxes were thrownout with a lot of items I was happy to see go.
I only hope that the trashman that picked them up--gave them to a needy family
starving for 1958 HiFi sound.
cincy

Last edited:
Congrats diddlebopper, sound aside, the G-5700 is dropdead gorgeous to look at. I've one that's part of my LR system and have found it to be great all around unit. As for sound, thats entirely subjective but having more than one speaker option definitely helps as I've found certain combos definitely seem to work better together than others; enjoy.

yosi...thanks! my speaker options are somewhat limited,JBL L50's I've just refoamed and Advent 3002,also have a pair of the old Point Source 55 which have always sounded good to me.Guess we'll see which click with the Sansui.What's your recomendations?

diddlybopper; the only speakers on your list that I'm even remotely familiar with are the L50's and it would seem to me that those would work fine. However, that's not the point. Audition all your speakers on the G-5700 and see what you think. It's just that I've been surprised at what was an alright sounding speaker on one amp becoming a noticably better sounding speaker when switched to another, all other factors remaining the same.

My most recent example being a set of Wharfedale Mach 5s which when played on my G-5700 were too bright, too crisp for my tastes. However, when swapped to my SX-939 (very similar power rating) they became much less fatiguing. IMHO this would seem to indicate that a warmer - smoother sounding speaker should work better with a G-5700.

Keep in mind, however, that this is an entirely subjective opinion. What it all comes down to is "your" ear.

diddlybopper....i love my g5700 :yes:
it rocks some polk monitor 10's AND yamaha ns2000's....
at the same time :)
a guy that purchased some kef 104/2's wanted to buy it from me when he heard it with them.
i think you will enjoy as long as its working properly

Back
Top Bottom