• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Initial Thoughts Modern High Performance Table Versus A Vintage Machine

Mister Pig

Pigamus Maximus
As some might know, my current table is a Galibier Serac with a 12" Pete Riggle String Theory arm and ZYX 4D cartridge.

This summer I came into possession a Thorens TD124 table with an ESL arm. The Thorens needed a general cleaning, a lube job, and new belt. In the process it got a new arm board and ADC LF2 arm. With back to school and the last summer vacation putting a hurt on the summer finances, I was fortunate enough to be loaned a Digitrac 200NE, which happened to be one of the cool bargains scored on by the frugal vinyl-o-phile.

The Thorens has a small issue or two to take care of still. The major one being a slight warp in the upper aluminium platter. These thoughts I am putting down are not meant to be all encompassing, or definitive to any degree. This is just my initial observations, which are certainly subject to change. Nor is this meant to be any kind of declaration of value between these two tables, although I can make some inferences...even at this point.

The Serac is the better sounding table at this point. The sound is expansive and wonderfully detailed and layered. The presentation of dynamics is effortless, and it brings about all the good attributes of vinyl. This table has brought me contentment and bliss from the day I put this final combination together. The ZYX cartridges are remarkable, and I appreciate mine every time I get to listen to it. From my perspective, the ZYX cartridges are competitive with anything at its price point, whether it is a Shelter, Koetsu, Lyra, Vandenhull, or many other cartridges. Is it perfect? Probably not, but whatever it does wrong I sure don't notice it.

Now the Serac has every advantage over the Thorens. It certainly costs more, has a more sophisticated arm, a well respected cartridge, and the some formidable technology in terms of the latest analog manufacturing trends.

Yet the Thorens does an excellent job of playing vinyl in its own right. Actually there are many aspects of presentation that is shared between the two tables. There is an easy flow to the music, yet an immediacy that is only contained in the better tables I have encountered. This is something that tends to fall in line with the Linn philosophy, where the table sets the foundational structure for the music, and allows the arm and cartridge to reach their full potential. This is something that a Technics SP25 in a 3" birch plinth could not do, even with the Riggle arm and ZYX installed on it. This is with a plinth that more than likely had 10 times the mass as the Thorens. However, the body of the Thorens drive unit has significantly more mass than the SP25.

The ADC arm has a far more unassuming, and lacks all the cool techie fittings the String Theory arm has. No uni-pivot bearing, no dampeming cup, or on the fly azimuth adjustment. It is fitted with a no frills cartridge with elliptical stylus, and a P Mount adaptor, Yet it gets so much of the music right. Yes it lacks the fine detail, and the harmonic texture of the music that the expensive rig gets right, Yet if has nice tonal balance, is fairly focused, and does a decent job presenting space. With vinyl in good condition the Digitrac is quiet, however surface noise does get higher than the ZYX with worn vinyl. Actually both the ADX and the Digitrac came from good folks here on AK, and in many respects this table project is representative of what this site members consider to be worthy components.

What I really wonder is how good can this table be with a higher quality cartridge. There are issues with MC cartridges and the iron platter, there is a real danger of destroying a MC cartridge on this table. Also the low mass of this arm means that only a few MC cartridges that happen to be fairly compliant can be used on this arm. But I wonder what could happen if I were to find one of the well regarded Grace FL 9 series of cartridges, or placed a Soundsmith upgraded Grado wood body, or maybe even a Soundsmith cartridge itself. From everything I hear now, I am curious to know what the ceiling of this table is with an upper tier cartridge. Could it approach the performance of my main table at 1/5th the cost...maybe even less?

Restored versions of the TD124 can easily fetch over $1K on the open market, especially depending on what arm they are fitted with. From what I hear, this is not an unreasonable price for what you get. While I have not lived with an older VPI or SOTA, and its been years since I had a Well Tempered in the house......I have a sneaking suspicion that this 124 could give any of them a run for their money. From what I can see, these tables are worth investing time and money into. I think you can get quality vinyl playback from them, and while not dirt cheap, at a price that can be pretty darn reasonable.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I think your assessment of the Digi is spot-on, a nice linear well-behaved MM that an MC lover could like, lacking the refinement that much more cash and dedication brings. That's my impression in the similar ITO Microrace arm on the mod'ed H-K.
I wonder how much different/'better' my Souther would sound on that Thorens TT than my AC/DD Denon.
 
From everything I hear now, I am curious to know what the ceiling of this table is with an upper tier cartridge. Could it approach the performance of my main table at 1/5th the cost...maybe even less?

Interesting question you pose to yourself. Assuming a better cart improves the Thorens sound even more, and you can sell your "main table" for 4/5th its cost, what would you do?
 
I think the TD 124 properly restored and plinthed can compete with anything. I think the results would be a close race. After all, the Walker Proscenium got sold off by at least one owner who is using, ahem, a Technics SP-10 Mk II in restored condition. So, very possible in my opinion.
 
Interesting question you pose to yourself. Assuming a better cart improves the Thorens sound even more, and you can sell your "main table" for 4/5th its cost, what would you do?

That is a question that cannot be answered now. To do so with any kind of implied certainty would just be playing a hunch...or letting personal bias enter the equation.

The only way to know is to spend the time and money and acquire the sub components and parts needed to upgrade the table.

That will occur, but might take awhile. Could be a year or so, we will see. Or who knows, if I stumble on the right cartridge it could be a few weeks.

Sorry I couldn't give you a definitive answer.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
That is a question that cannot be answered now. To do so with any kind of implied certainty would just be playing a hunch...or letting personal bias enter the equation.

The only way to know is to spend the time and money and acquire the sub components and parts needed to upgrade the table.

That will occur, but might take awhile. Could be a year or so, we will see. Or who knows, if I stumble on the right cartridge it could be a few weeks.

Sorry I couldn't give you a definitive answer.

Regards
Mister Pig

I think your curiosity will get the best of you, and you'll have an answer sooner than later! Thanks!
 
I think the TD 124 properly restored and plinthed can compete with anything. I think the results would be a close race. After all, the Walker Proscenium got sold off by at least one owner who is using, ahem, a Technics SP-10 Mk II in restored condition. So, very possible in my opinion.

I remember buying a used Denon 103R cartridge in a Uwe woody body from a guy who had ditched an early version of a VPI TNT for a SP 10 MK II. I will admit to being a bit sceptical about this, especially in the back of my heard I remember hearing how many of the reviewers of the late 70's and early 80's replaced their big DD tables with versions of the LP12. I also believe there are many fine tables built in the late 80's to the present day, that are exceptional.

However, this 124 experience is forcing me to reconsider my position on vintage tables. The Technics SP25 couldn't do this, but the Thorens does. I am thinking that excellent sound quality can be had in this way, at a price point that while not cheap, is a lot more attainable than many modern tables. As usual, blanket statements never tell the whole story, and each table needs a case by case evaluation. This does not mean that every vintage table is automatically superior, nor does it mean that every modern one is either.

What I do believe, is the Thorens TD124 deserves its favourable reputation. This is a table capable of good sound.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
DSC_5146.jpg

DSC_5244.jpg

DSC_5236.jpg
 
Mister Pig,

Thanks for rekindling my desire for an idler which I'd just about extinguished. :nono: I've an urge, which was fully under control until this thread, to hear for myself if you get my drift. I'm feeling partial towards a Garrard 401 with a slate plinth, but the slate is probably going to be too pricey when compared to a nice wood one.

I'm looking forward to reading the results when you compare the 124 and Serac using the same TA and cartridge.
 
Last edited:
Mister Pig,

Thanks for rekindling my desire for an idler which I'd just about had extinguished. :nono: I've an urge, which was fully under control until this thread, to hear for myself if you get my drift. I'm feeling partial towards a Garrard 401 with a slate plinth, but the slate is probably going to be too pricey when compared to a nice wood one.

I'm looking forward to reading the results when you compare the 124 and Serac using the same TA and cartridge.

That is going to be awhile. You had just buy the idler and enjoy it!:D 401's aren't going to get any cheaper.

Regards
Mister Pig
 
That is going to be awhile. You had just buy the idler and enjoy it!:D 401's aren't going to get any cheaper.

Regards
Mister Pig

I'm a patient man. :yes:

As with many, but not all, things Mister Pig you are so right. However, I've a hunch that when this vinyl renaissance comes to its end a bunch of very nicely overhauled idlers in nice plinths are going to become available at semi-decent prices.
 
I'm not surprised that a top notch vintage table holds its own against a modern high-end table. After all, a turntable is a passive mechanical device. The physics, engineering, and manufacturing know-how to build a top-notch turntable have been around for a very, very long time. Advances that have occurred in these fields in the decades since the TD-124 really don't add much to what's needed for building a fine table. In addition, Thorens most likely had vastly greater development resources at their disposal than does any modern boutique turntable maker.
 
Mr. Pig,
Just a couple of thoughts based on your musings.

You stated that this might cause you reconsider your thoughts on vintage turntables. As yo also stated, one great vintage turntable does not a world of great vintage turntables make. I really don't believe that so many people made the switch to inferior quality turntables, just because of some vast Tiefenbrunian conspiracy. i have noticed every time I have replaced a superior quality piece with an inferior one. Maybe not in the first blush of romance that comes with falling for something "new".
But definitely very soon thereafter.

On the flip side of this, changes taste also. The type of sound produced by these old idlers was the norm at the time amongst great tables, so the belt drive turntables, that were likely of just as good a quality (I will not subscribe to the theory that the world was full of tin ears back then who did not realize they had bought inferior gear), or maybe a bit better, while offering a sound that was new and exciting. As time past, the belt drive sound became the norm, so the old idlers, now offering something different, became the " new and exciting" sound.

Everything old is new again...
 
The performance of my somewhat rough TD-124 is close enough to my VPI Classic that I could see it becoming an wash with some work on the TD-124. It's the VPI's game right now but this TD-124 is also not operating to its full potential, is in a crappy hollow plinth, needs its motor cleaned and relubed, and could support a better arm than the SME-3009s2.

I really like the drive it gives to anything I play on it. It's very "musical", as overused as that phrase is. I can't say that about all or even most of my vintage decks.
 
Back
Top Bottom