Teaser Pics -- Fisher SA-100 clone in progress

dcgillespie

Fisher SA-100 Clone
Subscriber
With a number of members working on some version of this amp -- either by way of circuit, use of Fisher transformers, or just that it's a 6BQ5/7189 amp, I thought I would mark my progress on my own version of this great amp.

I had mentioned the basic features in a thread kpaxfaq started for his build, but started a separate thread so as not to trample on his. And while the goal is to build a worthy copy of the Fisher product, my build contains enough "deviations" as it were to possibly appeal to a broader group, so I've posted the thread here -- but the moderators can decide as they will which forum it is best suited for.

The basic features include:

1. Fisher X-101ST power transformer and AC power cord from same (the latter to ensure authentic Fisher sound). :)

2. Retains GZ34 rectification (as used by the X-101), with adequate choke and capacitance filtering to handle the full power needs of both channels at once.

3. Revised tube lineup, using a 6FQ7 inverter and ECC83 input stage for improved inverter drive, and elimination of 7247 issues. Both tubes obviously handle both channels.

4. Heath AA-100 OPTs to produce performance at least equal to the original devices.

5. Application of EFB(tm) to a pentode output stage for bias, featuring traditional bias/balance adjustments for both channels using only one EFB regulator.

6. Extending the EFB concept (simplicity, with superior regulation that automatically adjusts to prevailing conditions) to power the screen grids, with the added benefit of eliminating the space heater capabilities of the original design.

The goal is to not only meet, but with the application of EFB II (for pentode operation), improved on the performance of the original design, while still retaining that wonderful 6BQ5/7189 sound.

The pics show the mechanical progress. From left:

1. Getting the layout right. Planning is everything.

2. Measure twice, cut once.

3. Just like a classic kit, layout the parts (mechanical only at this point) to make sure they're all there (tubes are dummies for show).

4. Everything mounted up ready for wiring.

5. The Principle Engineer (Banditt), simply exhausted from all the details of the project.

This will ultimately end up in a new article detailing the build, and spotlighting operation of EFB II, that is to be published on the Tronola website later this year -- but for now, I thought it would be neat to share the development process of the project with AK.

Family is in town this week, so the start of wiring will be delayed. I'll update the thread as progress continues......

Have a safe holiday --

Dave

Attachments

• 2012_0901group10106.jpg
    2012_0901group10106.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,410
  • 2012_0901group10108.jpg
    2012_0901group10108.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,042
  • 2012_0901group10109.jpg
    2012_0901group10109.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,125
  • 2012_0901group10111.jpg
    2012_0901group10111.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,546
  • 2012_0901group10104.jpg
    2012_0901group10104.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2,276
Hi Dandy -- Not yet. The general topology of the amplifier portion of the circuitry will certainly follow the original Fisher design, with the noted features added. I'm hardly trying to sit on the schematic, but as I mentioned, this is literally the developmental part of the project. Basic elements have already been verified of course, such as basic OPT and PS performance, and the viability of EFB II of course, but specific values for such things as the NFB loop, stability elements, screen voltage, quiescent bias point, and range of the various controls have all yet to be determined. When they have, I'll be more than happy to post the finished design -- or even the various parts and pieces of it as I go along. Thanks for the interest!

Dave

This is gonna be good! :thmbsp: If you haven't used those Radio Shak terminal strips before, I can tell you they can be a pita. I recommend sanding the terminals real good and adding a dab of flux when you solder to them. You are so organized DC, maybe that's why things take me so long, I'm not organized.:scratch2: That's some top drawer iron you chose too.:music:

Aah -- you guys are too kind. Believe me, I'm just trying to keep up with all of you!

Transformer cut outs were done with a standard saber saw using a metal blade. Nothing fancy.

You're right about the RS strips, Jay. I use flux and pre-tin them before installation. Using that process then, I've never had any problems in making the actual connections. Regarding organization, it may appear that way in the pics, but let me tell you how many years it took to get that way!

This is one of those projects where I am intentionally trying to burn up everything I can that I've "collected" over the years, that will do the job. Sort of cleaning things up and (hopefully) making something useful in the process. So far, I'm only into it for the chassis and the choke. Everything else, I already had, including the cat.

Dave

Looks like it's going to be one heck of a junk box build. Good idea on the pre-tinning, I have some that I'll do that on.:thmbsp:

Sweet looking project! I don't understand the finer details of your "Super SA-100" but I can follow the pictures.:D

Dave,

Hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend with your family.

attachment.php

I am sure that Banditt will guard the Scott amplifier that is belly up next to him ;)

Cheers Mate,

Don

Hiya,

Nice layout and I am very interested in seeing how this progresses ..

Those cut outs are pretty decent .. I had to look twice to see that they were not punch cut.

Big downfall here in Frannie Land is any sort of fabrication machinery or skill .. :)

Frannie

yes, this is definately worth watching..

I have been dreaming about building a 400CX clone for quite a while. I have what I think would be suitable Fisher power tx, searched out something for the push button switch bank opposed to rotary and actually found something. All that in vein for I have the real thing coming soon.

Any how does the power cord really make a diference ?

Also the last project I did needed a square hole. I tried with small cutoff wheel and die grinder, not so good... I have one of those hobbiest Dremel jig saws, that seemed to do a real nice job effortlessly. This particular project was aluminum chassis but a figure a finer toothed saw blade and it would work equally well on steel chassis.

Too me it looks as though Banditt woke up for photo opportunity. He has that hurry up and finish so I can go back to my nap / job look to him

Last edited:
kv -- Of Banditt's many duties around here, one of the most important hats he wears is that of "Mr. Security" -- primarily because he works so hard at keeping all the alligators and elephants away (haven't seen any around here in years because of him!). By the end of the day though, it's about all he can do to keep that Scott from sprouting legs and walking off......

Have a great weekend yourself, Don!

Dave

Perch -- Now there ya go questioning my choice of power cord. Look. It's this simple. These are vintage designs, all of which operate best off of vintage electrons. The Fisher power cord is of course vintage, and therefore ensures that all the modern electrons are suitably filtered out, so that only the vintage electrons can get through to power the amplifier. After all, only vintage electrons can travel through a vintage power cord, right? What's not to understand here??? :) :)

Dave

Rot Ro, sorry Jeff, but your amp may be a bit on the sterile side. Learn something everyday.:thmbsp:

Attachments

• sterile 002.jpg
    sterile 002.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 399
Back
Top Bottom