Power Supply for Sony D-5 "Discman"

bossmsx

Just got myself a Sony D-5 "Discman" (putting it in quotes because it wasn't called as such yet), I need a power supply for it, it hasn't arrived yet. I know it's 9 volts, but I need to know how many mA I need it for, apparently, or so the Shack saleswoman said (someone at the Shack knowing something?? And it's not 1982??)...One of those cases of me knowing alot about certain things, but not others, this is one of those areas.

Not only do you need the amperage (mA), you need to make sure the POLARITY is correct (which pin is positive and which is negative, have to match on the supply and the unit)!

IIRC, those D5 Diskman thingies need like 750ma or more of current. Relatively hefty little buggers. Can't hurt to get a supply that's a little overkill (more current capacity than necessary)... at least it definitely won't burn up that way...

Regards,
Gordon.

Ok, you owe me for this one... Had to dig this little guy out from under the bed where I have relegated it to... :D

9V center negative 500ma

You lose the built in RCA outs when you don't use the factory adaptor, mine is a D-50 which I am pretty sure is just the overseas version of the same thing. I personally don't care for the sound quality of this unit, I think it sounds harsh and gritty. Its built well though. Very easy to make it skip, back in those days they did not have fancy shock protection. Still I only paid a couple of $ for it at the thrift so it does not really bother me too much, but to each his own, some might like the sound, but I did not care for it. I still stand by my statement, the best sounding portable CD player is and was the Electrobrand QCD-1000.

RadioShack AC adapters have a clever system in which you can use different plugs to match your equipment. You can also reverse the polarity.

I have the power supply for my D-5 around here somewhere. It's a regular black 9 volt Sony Wallwart rated at 800 milliamps.

Here's a pic.. I found it.

There was also a slide-in power supply thingy that had RCA connections in the back. It is probably the unit yrly is talking about.

Last edited:
yep, 800 mils. bought mine when they first came out. still works! got thousands of miles on it as a car cd player, and thousands of hours as the only cd player in the house. 300 bux was cheap compared to a grand for most everything else back then.

had to ressurect this, but i just got a sony d-5 and i am having issues with powerring it, here is the wallwart i am using:

feedmetrance-albums-power-adapter-picture129-dsc03099.jpg

feedmetrance-albums-power-adapter-picture131-dsc03103.jpg

please assist :)

Is the voltage correct? I believe the European D-5 was actually called the D-50. If it's a U.S. D-5 you need Voltage to be set at 100-120V

no, the input voltage has to be set to your local house voltage: 120 for US, 240 for europe. the other settings look right: 9v, center negative, and the current capacity is set by the adapter. 800 mills is enough. if you are in the us, the voltage you have selected is incorrect, and the D5 will only see 4.5 volts.

Back
Top Bottom