SONY PS-8750 on eBay

Damn! You beat me to it. Oh, well. I've got to pay for my HW-16.5 LP cleaner. Good for you and good luck with your bidding. I'll just have to be satisfied with the rewire/cap upgrade of my PF-800.

BTW. The problems the seller describes sound something like the ones I had with my PS-X7 (after about a buzillion plays over the course of 12+ years). The plastic bits that mechanically actuate these functions eventually wear our. Wouldn't be worth the cost/effort to repair on the PS-X7. Just run it in manual mode. But the PS-8750 is a much different story. Run in manual until the bits are fabricated and then install them.

Last edited:
I've been watching that auction since right after it was listed, just been keeping quiet about it. I did get a response back from the seller with pretty much the answers I was hoping for so we'll just have to wait and see how the bidding goes. It doesn't look like it's seen much use so I'm hoping it just needs a little bit of cleaning and adjustment but it sounds like it will probably need a new power switch. Not sure where I'd come up with one but it shouldn't be too hard to MacGyver something temporarily.

If you don't get the 8750, how about that nice PS-X6 with the ADC cart that starts at $69 with no bids. Someone might steal that one, and you could do a heck of a lot worse.

Graphite armtube on the -X7 and metal (aluminum, I am guessing) on the -X6. They are the same other than this.

Also, there is another -X6 on eBay starting at $5.

Those -X6/7 series TTs....

were very good and solid as a rock. I had one when they came out (sold 'em, too) and they never failed to deliver. A few years ago, I bought one, tho, which had a couple of problems:

* Speed was erratic, especially at 45RPM. It would run fine for a while but then slow down then speed up again.

* The damped cueing mechanism didn't work - all the fluid was gone.

So, on the speed problem, I discovered that the voltage regulator would change its regulated voltage once warmed up. It only took a minor adjustment - on the board - to get it back in again. BTW, there are *lots* of wire-wrapped connections on the boards, which I soldered to remove the possibility of them causing problems later.

On the cueing mechanism, I never did figure out how to disassemble it without removing the entire arm from the plinth. I finally decided it wasn't worth it. My son now uses it.

Other gremlins to watch out for:

* The 4 feet are adjustable to level the TT but beware that they use a plastic threaded shaft. Any pushing of the TT will cause them to break without fully picking up the TT as you move it around. You can, however, improve them by using a small nail with its head cut off. Insert it down into the threaded shaft on each foot. Use some epoxy on the end of the nail to keep it in place. These things are unobtainium unless you find a donor unit.

* Do *not* clean the inside rim of the platter. This contains a magnetic strip used to determine the rotation of the platter for the speed locking circuits. Also be sure that the pickup, a silver item, is clean and does not have dust in the way. Don't adjust this unless you have the correct instrumentation and the service manual.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

bordeno said:
If you don't get the 8750, how about that nice PS-X6 with the ADC cart that starts at $69 with no bids.
Thanks but I've already got a PS-X70 (and a PS-X600 and a couple of other decent TT's). The PS-X6 would probably be a step down from the X70. The 8750 is hopefully a step up from the X70, but the main reason I really want it is that it's the correct vintage to go with the rest of my VFET system.

sweet.... i have been looking for a 8750 for awhile since my previous shipping disaster. I guess i can expect some competitive bidding then. Good luck to all.

ByrdWyngs said:
Thanks but I've already got a PS-X70 (and a PS-X600 and a couple of other decent TT's). The PS-X6 would probably be a step down from the X70. The 8750 is hopefully a step up from the X70, but the main reason I really want it is that it's the correct vintage to go with the rest of my VFET system.

I've bought a couple of items from that Seller before, because he's local, and they were somewhat less than advertised IMHO. I've decided not to buy from him again. Otherwise, this would be a "no brainer".

The problem with the later turntables was that they had processor controlled arms which were pretty massive. While it could control things like resonances, mass is mass, and it's kinetic energy makes it pretty non-responsive to any quick movement, sounding rather "dead". If processor controlled arms were the ultimate in design why doesn't current turntables feature it? They all went back to low-mass responsivce arms.

The PS-X7 was a descendant from the PS-8750. It inherited the quartz crystal locked drive, a high torque brushless slotless motor, gel-filled platter mat, sony's proprietary massive "bulk molded compound" and the graphite arm all for about 1/3 the price of the 8750. Oddly enough, the 8750 arms seemed more massive than the PS-X7. The headshell alone was heavier than the one with the PS-X7. The gel-filled mat also is a problem. The gel mat tends to harden as it ages which rendered it useless and made the sound worse. The best thing about the PS-8750 is that it looks like a high end unit and the PS-X7 doesn't.

The arm of the 8750 is a special version of Sony's PUA-1600S ; the one on the X7 is a "generic" Sony tonearm albeit graphite/carbon charged...

Although I already have a TTS-8000, if a 8750 was showing up around my place, I'd take it just for its arm that I'd put in the 2nd armbase of the TTS. I'm sure there must be a few 8750s in France but they sure are sleeping real tight!

I've never had any dealings with the seller but I'm not sure how this TT could be much less than described. He's already stated the power and reject buttons don't work and there are lots of pictures that show the condition. I don't know if it's going to make much difference one way or the other for me at this point anyway since the bidding really jumped up over night and I recognize a couple of the other bidder's IDs. I seem to recall going up against these guys before and losing out to their deeper pockets. I would really like to have an 8750 but I'm not sure I want to go too much higher than where the bidding is at now considering the problems. A little over 4 hours to go and I'm just hoping the others have already done their serious bidding, but I don't think anybody is goint to steal this one.

Makes me really wish the mint one i won for $180 wasn't destroyed in shipping. I don't think I will bid on this one. It looks like it will be a lot higher before its over. Altho if it doesn't go much over $300, i will be really pissed....

I also see a really nice PS-X800, but the tangent arm looks bent, if so, it's not much of a deal....

Last edited:
Yamaha B-2 said:
You gotta love the high bidder's user name. How many "flowery_twats" do you know?
It's certainly a hard ID to forget even if you aren't a John Cleese / Fawlty Towers fan (which I am). He buys and sells a lot of high end(ish) gear. I'm pretty sure he bid against me (and won) at least one of the PS-X70s I had bid on and one of the VFETS too.

Jon S said:
I also see a really nice PS-X800, but the tangent arm looks bent, if so, it's not much of a deal....
Yeah, 'Factory New' and 'Excellent Condition', if you don't count the cracked dust cover hinge slots and the bent tonearm.

ByrdWyngs - Nice try. Too bad, but don't think flowery_twat was about to get outbid on this one.

Crazy seller, though. He had a 'mint' CA-2010 that he listed so that it sold in the same minute as the TT. What would you do if you wanted both? Bid like flowery_twat, I guess.

Better luck next time. Starting to make Vlad's PS-8750 look good.

Yeah, guess I'm just going to have to make do with the PS-X70 for a bit longer. I almost put in another bid at $375 but I didn't really think it would do me any good and it was higher than I wanted to go anyway. Flowery_twat must really want that table bad, not only did he bid high but he's going to get to pay shipping to the UK on top of it.

Back
Top Bottom