Sub $100 DAC?

Is this for direct PC connection?

A second-hand HRT dac is a good bet. I'm about to try the hifimediy Sabre USB DAC in my PC setup, as it represents great value at around $50 delivered.

A second-hand HRT dac is a good bet. I'm about to try the hifimediy Sabre USB DAC in my PC setup, as it represents great value at around $50 delivered.

I've never seen a used HRT. Who would want to sell theirs?

The FiiO D3 punched enormously above its price range and its replacement in their lineup has slightly better noise floor and separation specs at the same <$30 price. You won't believe what these DACs can do until you've tried them.

yeah, sorry, from PC to receiver. So i need USB or to come out of the headphone jack.

Interesting... I've seen several for sale when people get the upgrade bug.

In my experience they do tend to err on the bright side, so system synergy plays a part in their suitability. I found my old HRT MSII+ to work best with warmer vintage amps and speakers. It sounded too thin with revealing speakers and amps IMHO.

I preferred the to tonality of the hotaudio DAC WOW USB in my system, but it didn't have the inner detail retrieval of the HRT.

I got the Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC with ES9023 and Tenor TE7022 just before Christmas for $52, shipped from China. I bought it on that auction site. It took three weeks to get here, but I have to say it's the best DAC I've owned, period. I've never owned expensive DACs, but I like to think I have owned some decent ones: VALAB NOS and Maverick D2, for example. I am very pleased with the music it makes, after living with it for the last week, playing FLAC files via my Vortexbox.

I gave my Maverick D2 to a friend earlier this year, and borrowed it back from him recently. Straight up comparisons convince me that the Sabre DAC is superior. As usual, YMMV, but I am so impressed, I felt I ought to share. It is tiny and looks like crap (but nice and solid crap!), and it's obviously aimed at headphone owners to use with their laptops, but it's the real deal, as far as I'm concerned. USB input only, and mini-headphone jack output, so I use a stereo RCA male-to-3.5mm headphone adapter.

Just in case anybody else is using a Vortexbox, this DAC is recognized without any problem. Here is the ALSA info when I open the config interface:

ALSA device list

0 [DAC ]: USB-Audio - HiFimeDIY DAC
HiFimeDIY Audio HiFimeDIY DAC at usb-0000:00:12.0-5, full speed​

Last edited:
I just bought one off of BT a few weeks ago, so they do come up occasionally. I really like it. Plug and play in Ubuntu. Sold my DacMagic because I have a single source system.

I got the Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC with ES9023 and Tenor TE7022 just before Christmas for $52, shipped from China. I bought it on that auction site. It took three weeks to get here, but I have to say it's the best DAC I've owned, period. I've never owned expensive DACs, but I like to think I have owned some decent ones: VALAB NOS and Maverick D2, for example. I am very pleased with the music it makes, after living with it for the last week, playing FLAC files via my Vortexbox.

I gave my Maverick D2 to a friend earlier this year, and borrowed it back from him recently. Straight up comparisons convince me that the Sabre DAC is superior. As usual, YMMV, but I am so impressed, I felt I ought to share. It is tiny and looks like crap (but nice and solid crap!), and it's obviously aimed at headphone owners to use with their laptops, but it's the real deal, as far as I'm concerned. USB input only, and mini-headphone jack output, so I use a stereo RCA male-to-3.5mm headphone adapter.

Just in case anybody else is using a Vortexbox, this DAC is recognized without any problem. Here is the ALSA info when I open the config interface:

ALSA device list

0 [DAC ]: USB-Audio - HiFimeDIY DAC
HiFimeDIY Audio HiFimeDIY DAC at usb-0000:00:12.0-5, full speed​

Yeah, the Hifimediy is pretty decent, especially at the modest price. I'm running one on my PC rig. One of these days I will take it outside and try it on my main system.

I bought a second hand HTR DAC, a few years ago I thought it was different but not superior to the SB T DAC. I know some people love it but it is not bad but not great as I recall. I would agree with Pet, nice detail but lacking something in tonal totality maybe I’m looking for a warmer sound. Of course I’m from Southern California. . OK I’m sounding woolly. But I'm conflicted between lucidity and tube like harmonics.

The FiiO D3 punched enormously above its price range and its replacement in their lineup has slightly better noise floor and separation specs at the same <$30 price. You won't believe what these DACs can do until you've tried them.

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Digital-.../B005PWPUW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357068312

Yes, I just got a FiiO D3 DAC and tied the Optical output of my Airport Express through it. I run most songs in iTunes in Apple Lossless mode for the added fidelity. Anyway, I got the TOSlink adapter from Monoprice in the mail yesterday and took a few moments last night after dinner to put it online instead of the simple analog mini-phone plug to L & R phono connectors cable I've used all along. We sat there gob smacked for an hour last night playing songs from iTunes and awed by the clarity, definition and improved soundstage in a system we are both VERY familiar with From AJA and old Grateful Dead live tracks through Boston and Little River Band, Penguin Cafe orchestra and U2 -
Heck, Even Dark Star had a depth I've never heard before!

I had no idea anything that cheap could make that kind of a change!
Highly recommended!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• AE-and-D3.jpg
    AE-and-D3.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,477
Last edited:
i just got this DAC for xmas FiiO E07K 24/96 usb

I in my case have mine docked with a FiiO E9

but this thing is under $100 (the E07K anyways) it was about $90

but there is also the new Schiit Modi usb dac that is $100 and made in America....it has been getting pretty good reviews indeed so far.
(as previously mentioned)

I already had the E9 and had already asked for and had my mom have bought the E
07K for me when I heard of the Modi/Magni .... I would have probably got those units instead if i handn't already had the FiiO E9

but I have been impressed w/t the E07K none the less..... it sounds pretty sweet definitely improvement over the Xonar DG i had been using before

Yeah, the Hifimediy is pretty decent, especially at the modest price. I'm running one on my PC rig. One of these days I will take it outside and try it on my main system.

"Decent" is about right. It sounds good, but I still prefer to listen to vinyl by a huge margin. I still haven't heard the really big buck DACs, so I'll withhold judgment on digital vs. analog for now. The Hifimediy is almost too clean or antiseptic sounding to me--good for an hour, but I get fidgety after that. Good vinyl just makes me want to listen more . . . and more.

But for the price, the Hifimediy is damned good. In retrospect, I think I liked the VALAB best, but it was over $100.

Highly recommended!!

I have one for my TV audio, since my TV doesn't do analog outputs. At first, the FiiO acted kind of flaky, but it's settled down and does a very good job with movie dialog for me. I was half watching Family Guy last night and was startled by the hard L/R panning of the ol' "devil on one shoulder and angel on the other shoulder" routine.

Last edited:
I plan on going this exact route, what toslink cable do i need exactly?
Also its been about a year since you posted this, any after thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Digital-.../B005PWPUW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357068312

Yes, I just got a FiiO D3 DAC and tied the Optical output of my Airport Express through it. I run most songs in iTunes in Apple Lossless mode for the added fidelity. Anyway, I got the TOSlink adapter from Monoprice in the mail yesterday and took a few moments last night after dinner to put it online instead of the simple analog mini-phone plug to L & R phono connectors cable I've used all along. We sat there gob smacked for an hour last night playing songs from iTunes and awed by the clarity, definition and improved soundstage in a system we are both VERY familiar with From AJA and old Grateful Dead live tracks through Boston and Little River Band, Penguin Cafe orchestra and U2 -
Heck, Even Dark Star had a depth I've never heard before!

Highly recommended!!

attachment.php

The Schiit Modi is just short of $100. It outputs RCA, but that can easily be converted with a cheap cable if you need 3.5mm.

The Schiit Modi is just short of $100. It outputs RCA, but that can easily be converted with a cheap cable if you need 3.5mm.
+1 for the Modi! Best 100 bucks I have spent on my audio listening enjoyment. Really a big improvement over my internal pc sound card.

Ha, exactly a year since I posted on this thread! Well might as well give a report on my Schiit Modi a year later.. Still works great, sound is just outstanding IMHO!

Try Douk Audio's new XMOS USB DAC that can decode DSD. Under $80 for sure is the best value I recently invested in.

Yes, you and I both. I bought one of these last year and when using my 250 Ohms Beyerdynamic H/phones it definitely gets a Massive Capital Triple 'D' - Detail, Drive and Dynamics.

The only things and can think of are good quality components, very short signal paths and I guess 2.26 XMOS USB Audio Class 2 Driver helps.

Mine even sounds excellent with a 5v USB connection - I paid $99 about £66 in Nov.'15 . . . Oops they look like they have had slight price increase from mine below.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Late...dphone-384K-32bit-coxial-USB/32401610171.html

Back
Top Bottom