TEAC Distinction Series AI-2000 Integrated

Karl vd Berg

Hello all,

I was surfing around new stuff (modern Hi-Fi) and came across the Teac website for amplifiers and this model:

http://www.teac.eu/hifi-audio/distinction-series/ai-2000/

Quite interesting, never heard anyone talking about Teac amplifiers. Prices suggest these machines are really well done. Massive and rugged mechanics. Anyone here knows them?

ai-2000_schwarz.jpg

ai-2000_rueckseite.jpg

teac_ai2000_inner_730.jpg

Last edited:
I have never heard any of the modern day Teac systems. But I have heard the very well reviewed and received brand name Esoteric Company. Its very good and very expensive audio gear. They are the same company, and I suspect Teac is a more affordable "Esoteric" aimed at a more affordable audience who don't want to break the bank. So I won't be surprised if the Teac brand name is an outstanding product at its price range.

That integrated you posted is terrific. Great dynamics, very detailed, very smooth. In short, a lot of fun to listen to.
I've also heard some of the other stuff in the series and I've been really impressed. In addition to how great it sounds, it *looks* amazing.

I was just demo'ing new integrateds yesterday and this was one of them. The dealer down here seems really impressed with that series. I'm going to do some more extensive demo's over the next few weeks so I'll report back. I'll also be looking forward to anyone else's impressions.

We have a CD player from the TEAC Reference series and it's built beautifully and sounds great. I would guess that the amp in question is quite good.

In addition to how great it sounds, it *looks* amazing.
It looks beautiful! I really love this design. Also it has two toroid trafos and new developed power transistors. Doesn't have any tone controls, nor balance, loudness. Really discrete electric layout. Its specifications are compared with other more expensive rivals.

I was looking for a demo with the Denon PMA-1510EA (around €1,100 / $1,425 / £800, picture attached) but because I had a problem with two Denons (their input selector started to shift or "jump" suddenly to another source) I decided to look for a more discrete electric layout like Rotel or similar.

These Teac amps seem really promising. They are well regarded among German reviewers.

Attachments

• pma1510ea.jpg
    pma1510ea.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
The Distinction Series was available on-and-off from TEAC over the years. I've not heard the latest offerings but I do own a Distinction Series integrated amp, the A-1D, that I purchased from J&R....

328_20_big.jpg

Sounds very good and very well-build. In fact, soundstage.com used one of these for testing speakers.

Yes, very well build machines. Their SACD Players are also really good.

main.jpg

CD-3000 SPECIFICATIONS

CD Player Supports SACD, CD, CD-R/RW Discs
USB Audio Class2 High-speed Input from PC/Mac (192 kHz @ 24 bits asynchronous max)
Dual 24bit/192kHz D/A Converters (CS4398)
Up-conversion to 192kHz
Fluorescent Display
Detachable AC Socket
Aluminum Front Panel and Tray Bezel
Aluminum Top and Side Panels
Remote Control
Dynamic Range: more than 120dB (24bit), more than 100dB (16bit)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: more than 110dB
Total Harmonic Distortion: less than 0.0012%
USB Input: x 1 (USB 2.0)
Digital Audio Input: x 1 (Coaxial)
Balanced Analog Audio Output: x 1 (XLR)
Audio Output: x 1 (RCA)
Digital Audio Output: x 1 (Coaxial)
Operation: 120V AC, 60Hz (US), 230V AC, 50Hz (EUR)
Dimensions (W x H x D): 17-1/8" x 4-5/8" x 13-1/4" (435 x 116 x 371 mm)
Weight: 22 lbs. 11 oz. (10.3 kg)

The Distinction series: http://audio.teac.com/products/distinction_series/

Last edited:
TEAC definitely seem to be on the comeback trail. They created a mild stir with their Reference series, but the above looks like an attempt to build a serious dedicated 2-channel amp. Its good to see companies investing in gear like this, particularly in the current economic climate.

Boy...I tell ya, between that Denon and Teac amps, they sure are making them awful handsome these days.

It looks beautiful! I really love this design. Also it has two toroid trafos and new developed power transistors. Doesn't have any tone controls, nor balance, loudness. Really discrete electric layout. Its specifications are compared with other more expensive rivals.

I was looking for a demo with the Denon PMA-1510EA (around €1,100 / $1,425 / £800, picture attached) but because I had a problem with two Denons (their input selector started to shift or "jump" suddenly to another source) I decided to look for a more discrete electric layout like Rotel or similar.

These Teac amps seem really promising. They are well regarded among German reviewers.

Hmm, im a sucker for MOSFETS and the Denon has MOSFETS.:thmbsp:

There are some rumors about a new version for the above Denon, even better.

But, to see what Denon is doing for the Japanese market, just have a look at this model.

And all the other Japan-only models...

Those are really nice looking and from reading the technical specs of the SX, I think it says 35 MOSFET transistors per channel. (even the translation is difficult) Thats a lot. I think the Pass Labs x250 only has 16 per. Maybe one side has 17 and the other 18? but I've never heard of sides not being the same or half a transistor.

I would love to take a listen to that puppy...hope is not to warm. Some nice engineering going on at Denon.... They continue to share with Marantz Reference with excellent vibration and shielding. They even now are using copper chassis.

Last edited:
Always loved TEAC, from way back when.

Their gear always left a "quality" taste in my mouth. But I have always associated TEAC with tape machines. Top-notch!

Could only imagine what their new stuff is all about.

Curious :scratch2:

Those are really nice looking and from reading the technical specs of the SX, I think it says 35 MOSFET transistors per channel. (even the translation is difficult) Thats a lot. I think the Pass Labs x250 only has 16 per. Maybe one side has 17 and the other 18? but I've never heard of sides not being the same or half a transistor.

I would love to take a listen to that puppy...hope is not to warm. Some nice engineering going on at Denon.... They continue to share with Marantz Reference with excellent vibration and shielding. They even now are using copper chassis.
I think 35 MOSFETs per channel would be a lot, but maybe it has them all. And yes, Denon and Marantz, along with Pioneer (TAD) are still doing really good stuff. From the same SX series, there's their SACD player (Denon DCD-SX) and its internals.

Back in Japan they still have their facilities and staff able to do so.

Back to Teac, the Tuner from this series:

TU-1000-001.jpg

Last edited:
The Distinction series runs the gamut from...

AI-1000 ($1000)

main.jpg

AI-2000 ($1500)

main.jpg

AI-3000 ($3000)

main.jpg

AI-3000-B-2.jpg

Along with their matching SACD players... that run from $800 to $2000.
Haven't heard them, but they look great and look to be very well built.

Personally, I think it's wonderful that, finally, these long standing Japanese companies have returned to the fold and are starting to produce wonderful 2 channel High Fidelity equipment once again!
Yamaha has done it, Sony has done it, Onkyo has done it, Accuphase never stopped doing it, now it seems Teac is doing it, and even what's left of Marantz and Denon are resurrecting 2 channel for the masses. It makes me excited for the future of STEREO again, and I was peddling Dolby surround, prologic and AC3/DTS back in the day when audiophiles were trading in massive 2 channel rigs for the 'latest' surround fiasco in a box.
Long live simplicity!

Back
Top Bottom