Technics - Stylus Help

bonkas

Hi Guys,

I have a Technics SL-23 that I have just bought for my first "Real" turntable.

I need some advice on cartridges and stylus'.

The cartridge has been replaced according to the seller - This is his description:

"The cartridge has been replaced.
It now has a A&R ambridge Magnetic Cartridge. C77.
I have 2 stylus A black one & the Red one is on the turntable.
I think the Black one is stuffed.
When we modified it we set it up nect to a Rega planar 3 & couldn't hear the difference.
I also still have the original cartridge.
Hope this helps."

So since he still has the original cartridge the stylus I have bought "PANASONIC EPS270ED Elliptical" should fit as it is listed in the manual as the replacement.

Now given the cartridge that is on it.. Which should I keep and use or throw away?

Thanks for your input. I am clueless about this stuff.

Regards

A&R Cambridge, better known as ARCAM. The C77 was their basic entry level model with a conical stylus. (The "C" stands for "conical".) I think it very unlikely that you'll find a replacement stylus for it or, if you do, it will be at a price commensurate with its quality. I think I would use it if the stylus is okay, and save for a better one.

John

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridg...chi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=

The Panasonic cart and stylus should be a better choice for you than the A&R, if only because stylii for it are readily available, and it is elliptical.

Aparently I am able to have the original Cartridge with the table so my new stylus if it is really original should fit :) I will see what I have when I pick it up tomorrow.

I would like to have a new stylus on there so what is on there currently is unknown condition

You guys are a wealth of knowledge thank you very much.

Here's the new guy...

uploadfromtaptalk1356132948356.jpg

This is the original cartridge apparently. Can anyone identify it?

uploadfromtaptalk1356133146142.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1356133161102.jpg

If clearer pictures are needed I can upload some from my computer.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I take it the stylus I bought EPS-270ED will not fit this cartridge?

As mentioned above, it's essentially an Audio-Technica AT3400 but the logo isn't the Audio Technica logo. It's a "private label" cartridge that Audio-Technica rebadged for someone else. Other than the logo it's the same cartridge as the AT-3400.

Even with their own ID, Audio-Technica made tons of identical cartridges under different model numbers, sometimes with different stylus specs, sometimes not. Your cartridge is one of those. You can get quite a few different styli, from ordinary to extraordinary, that will fit your cartridge.

Here's a web page showing a number of them.

http://www.turntableneedles.com/search.asp?keyword=at3400&search=GO

Audio-Technica still offers several of these cartridges so replacement styli are still in production and readily available. I'm sure that the shop you've been dealing with can get one for you and exchange it for the Technics stylus.

John

It's a Linn Basik. Basikally, it's an Audio-Technica AT95 with a conical stylus, aka AT93 and AT3400, with a Linn logo on it. A good basik-- basic-- cartridge, usually goes for about US$40.

Panasonic/Technics made a zillion EPC-270s and equivalent variants, though they're out of production now. You might be able to find one cheap, depending on the breaks.

Am I better off keeping the installed cartridge or the second cartridge a few posts back?

If the one I have showed pictures of. What is a good needle to get for this? Keep in mind I just want clarity but low cost something around the same price as the stylus I just bought.

The green ATN95E stylus (Pfanstiehl 710-DE) is a basic 4x7 elliptical (tracks at ~2g) for the "Linn" which will suit you nicely as you save up for the inevitable upgrades. Here in the US it's around $35, and as far as I know it's currently in production.

Am I better off keeping the installed cartridge or the second cartridge a few posts back?

If the one I have showed pictures of. What is a good needle to get for this? Keep in mind I just want clarity but low cost something around the same price as the stylus I just bought.

Since I don't think you have way of checking the condition of the ARCAM stylus, the safe assumption would be that it needs to be replaced, especially since it's 30 or 40 years old at this point. Because it's 30 or 40 years old, I doubt you'll find a replacement anywhere at a reasonable price, probably not at all. The Audio-Technica "Linn" stylus may be okay but, again, how do you check?

The green ATN95E stylus (Pfanstiehl 710-DE) is a basic 4x7 elliptical (tracks at ~2g) for the "Linn" which will suit you nicely as you save up for the inevitable upgrades. Here in the US it's around $35, and as far as I know it's currently in production.

The above is the direction I'd go. It's likely that you can exchange the EPS-270ED for the ATN95E for little difference in cash if any. It's very good in its own.

John

Ok just to confirm.

Keep the audio technica, ditch the A&R?

Purchase the stylus listed above for the audio technica and I should be good to go for a nice sounding table?

I have a few questions regarding replacing the cartridge, should I ask these here or start a new thread?

Ok just to confirm.

Keep the audio technica, ditch the A&R?

Purchase the stylus listed above for the audio technica and I should be good to go for a nice sounding table?

That would be my recommendation.

I have a few questions regarding replacing the cartridge, should I ask these here or start a new thread?

Your choice on the thread. I'd suggest that you wait until you have the new stylus before swapping cartridges and save the questions until then. In the meantime you can search the archives here for threads outlining the procedure. There are probably dozens. There may also be instructions in the SL-23 owner's manual.

John

Bonkas,
you'll get most of your set up questions answered in AK member Arcorob's video.
Just go back to the top of the 'Turntables' forum and click on sticky thread #2.

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

I have skimmed over that post but have not yet watched the video.

First port of call is to get the right stylus (ATN95E) for the second cartridge I have (Linn Basik. it's an Audio-Technica AT95 with a conical stylus, aka AT93 and AT3400), then watch the video and swap the cartridges over and we should be good to go.

The player is working quite well as it is but a few wierd things are happening which I am hoping a new stylus will sort out.

Regards

Last edited:
Seems to play at a steady speed with no problems at all but every now and then it will get bogged down enough to really notice it in the music - This only happens once or twice per side of a record for less than a second each time.

I have not given the record a thorough cleaning yet though and the stylus is in unknown condition so I thought it was a good place to start.

I am also looking at the specs of the A&R cartridge and Stylus installed now and it's spec is 5mV and the stylus for the Audio Technica Cart I am going to replace it with is rated at 3.5mV - The turntable already seems about 1/2 the volume of the old cheap unit I had. I am thinking this new cart and stylus will make it even quieter.

Ahh the wonders of vinyl :)

Back
Top Bottom