KEF Tweeters in C30 C40

Tighelander

The tweeters on the C40s I just picked up have some coating flaking off. The tweeters in the C30s don't. Could this coating have gotten on them from environment they were in? Should I brush it off?

The C40 don't sound as nice as the C30s do. The C30s sound balanced and clear. The C40s sound a little fuzzy in comparision. I have to look up the term "passive radiator".
c40.JPG

c30.JPG

The material flaking off if the damping material applied during manufacturing. It helps smooth out the the response of the tweeter. You should just brush it off.

The C30s sounded better. The vocals were clear. On the C40s, they sounded muffled.

I switched the tweeters, and now the C40s sound good, and the C30s sound bad.

Would the coating make that much of a difference?

I would have guessed the flaky tweeters would have sounded brighter and ragged. Do both tweeter pairs share the same P/Ns? :scratch2:

I had a pair of those. If the coating is gone from the tweeters, certainly the sound could be affected. To what degree, I'm not sure. I believe those are Audax? Decent tweeters, but tending towards being bright.

Same part numbers on the tweeters.
I read an earlier thread in which one member tried various coatings for the tweeter.
I glad that it was the tweeter; I didn't want to dig into it and start checking the caps.

It would be interesting to know what one could apply to the tweeters to damp them . Just off the top of my head ( and I could be dead-wrong ) I'd guess a glue that would retain it's elasticity for a long time afterwards , like a good quality contact or plastic cement made to glue heat injected plastic shoe soles ( in my shoe-making experience these glues do remain elastic as shoes constantly bend and take a LOT of pressure with every step you take ) .

Thoughts ? And what would you use ?

Yeah , I also have an oppurtunity to pick up a pair of these speakers with flakky tweeters and might like to try the drivers in a solidly built box .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom