Wharfedale Linton XP2s. . .. No Respect?

Phase700b

AK Lurker & Kinsman
100_0965.jpg

I just acquired a nice little pair of Wharfedale Linton XP2s off of CL and have been trying to search out details about them. It turns out there were apparently several different iterations of this model and other Wharfedales in general. What is surprising is that they seem to garner little respect and I find them to be a great, if rather large, 3-way bookshelf speaker. I'm hoping there are some here on AK that can share and shed some additional light.

From what I have found so far is that the ones I have were probably made in 1976 according to a pair I found for sale on Ebay UK. I also found out the Linton XP2 was apparently made in both a 2-way and 3-way configuration with differing speakers depending on the year made. It was surprising to me that these little gems with only an 8" woofer were made into a 3-way with a midrange. Also, while I haven't opened mine up yet, the crossover is apparently fairly complex. These XP2s actually seem more closely related to the larger Denton(?) model which has a 10" woofer I believe. I bought these in sad external shape, but the original grill cloth is fine as are the speakers behind it. So I am refinishing and the picture here are of the cabinets after some light sanding.

I've always wanted some Wharfedales ever since I worked part time in an audio shop in the late 60s and drooled over the W60Ds (?) with the sand filled cabinet wall enclosures. I had to place them in the auditioning room and those things were heavy and sounded fabulous driven by a Marantz.

Anyway, after lightly sanding and some cleaning, I could not resist giving them a listen. I had my Pioneer SX-780 pulled out so quickly set it up along with a Kyocera DA-310cx CD player I recently purchased. I put on some classical guitar with orchestra tunes and these XP2s are a delight. Very good imaging. . . the sound seemed to emanate from around the speaker area not from the speakers. And very subtle tinklings of both the orchestra and guitar strumming were clear and transparent. Next I put on Scott Joplin: The Red Black Book and Elite Syncopations from the New England Conservatory Ragtime Ensemble. Very enjoyable foot tapping treats again delivered with a warm, clean, intimate sound. Details in the bass drum and cymbals were clean and distinct. The whole production must have been recorded in a rather small studio because it sounded as though they were performing just for me in my living room. I highly recommend this last CD as it was originally a high quality recording on vinyl.

All this is why I don't under stand why this era of Wharfedales does not seem to garner the respect or appreciation of other English or American made speakers. Perhaps some of the other iterations had some serious short comings, but not these as I far as I can tell. I can report that these are rated to accept up to 35 watts from 60hz to 20KHz. I must say, that based on m first listen with the SX-780 that a good 50 watts is not too much for them. If the power meters are to believed on the SX-780, I was at about a 5 to 10 watt bounce of the needles for just a pleasant listening level. No speaker break up was apparent. So the speaker sensitivity of a rather low 86db is probably about right.

If there is a trade off with the Linton XP2 is may be that it does exhibit a bit of upper bass hollowness when I played some popular and rock music from FM radio. I did read a post on another forum where an owner was rebuilding his crossover on a 2-way XP2 and had difficulty with choosing a good crossover point from bass to treble. Perhaps that is why Wharfedale (Rank?) later added a 4" mid range to relieve the woofer of handling too much mid range.

Well, here are a few pictures and I look forward to comments, opinion, and others who may own these.

100_0966.jpg

100_0967.jpg

100_0971_zps2e3dfb23.jpg

Attachments

• 100_0965.jpg
    100_0965.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_0966.jpg
    100_0966.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_0967.jpg
    100_0967.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_0968.jpg
    100_0968.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I respect ALL Wharfedales as i have yet to hear a bad set and have heard many different configurations from many different times. I have a soft spot for Wharfedales and love the sound. Enjoy.

That is nice to know. thanks for your reply. I could not pass these vintage English beauties up for the $40 I gave for them. And the cabinets are going to look terrific when completed. :banana:

A couple things that are amazing to me is the construction and condition of the drivers in this speaker system. The woofer and midrange both seem to have a type of buytyl rubber surround which is in excellent shape, unlike other speakers I have that required new foam edge surrounds. For a speaker made in 1976 I don't recall too many with rubber surrounds.

Also, the metal frames around all the speakers are pretty unusual. I will probably take a screw driver to them soon and see what lurks behind.

Last edited:
Also, the metal frames around all the speakers are pretty unusual. I will probably take a screw driver to them soon ans see what lurks behind.

As will all vintage and semi vintage Wharfedales the driver construction and cab construction are going to amaze you. They always build the good stuff.

I can imagine that I will be amazed and delighted. I saw one of your post0s regarding your W90s. Back in "the day" I would have loved a pair of those as I would now. How heavy are those beasties? :D

As I mentioned, I would have loved even a pair of W60s back in '68. Compared to the Altecs, JBLs, and some others, the Wharfdales had such clean and transparent sound and the W60s had bass to die for. All the other speakers in the auditioning room sounded like they were in your face as I remember. The Wharfdales were smooth and elegant with no "honk" in the mid range.

I never got to hear W90s. . . How are they?

Here is another picture of a slightly different Linton XP2. The cabinet is somewhat larger and the mid and tweeter are more separated. There are other versions as well.

To me, this looks like it might actually be the Denton model which had a 10" woofer and a larger cabinet. Lot's of variations on this era of Wharfedale Speakers!

Attachments

• Linton XP2  UK Ebay 1.JPG
    Linton XP2 UK Ebay 1.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 108
  • Linton XP2 Ebay  UK 2.JPG
    Linton XP2 Ebay UK 2.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I can imagine that I will be amazed and delighted. I saw one of your post0s regarding your W90s. Back in "the day" I would have loved a pair of those as I would now. How heavy are those beasties? :D

As I mentioned, I would have loved even a pair of W60s back in '68. Compared to the Altecs, JBLs, and some others, the Wharfdales had such clean and transparent sound and the W60s had bass to die for. All the other speakers in the auditioning room sounded like they were in your face as I remember. The Wharfdales were smooth and elegant with no "honk" in the mid range.

I never got to hear W90s. . . How are they?

I have two pairs of W60's and that set of W90's all sound good and like you described. Nice and balanced with very nice mids. Warm and inviting.

Nice catch. I used to have a pair of Wharfedale 508 in the early 90s which had a very nice sound. I picked up a Linton 3 a while back, but alas the mids were blown. Could you post a link regarding the rebuilding of the crossover on the Linton 2-way? I might try that since the tweeter and woofer of the Linton 3 are the same as the Linton 2 and I've had no luck finding replacement mids.

Attachments

• linton3.jpg
    linton3.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 44
Nice catch. I used to have a pair of Wharfedale 508 in the early 90s which had a very nice sound. I picked up a Linton 3 a while back, but alas the mids were blown. Could you post a link regarding the rebuilding of the crossover on the Linton 2-way? I might try that since the tweeter and woofer of the Linton 3 are the same as the Linton 2 and I've had no luck finding replacement mids.

Have you searched on Epay UK site for some midrange drivers? I believe I saw some there. At least I think that is where I saw them. I;ve been on so many websites the past 5 days , , , I remember seeing a completely disassembled system for sale. I'll try and back track but it may take me awhile.

EDIT: Would these work>? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedale-Linton-3-Pair-of-Midrange-Speakers-Mid-Range-Made-in-England-/150957406954?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2325c33aea

Here's a link for the xovr tho:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/104960-wharfedale-speaker-improvements.html

Last edited:
Have you searched on Epay UK site for some midrange drivers? I believe I saw some there. At least I think that is where I saw them. I;ve been on so many websites the past 5 days , , , I remember seeing a completely disassembled system for sale. I'll try and back track but it may take me awhile.

EDIT: Would these work>? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wharfedale-Linton-3-Pair-of-Midrange-Speakers-Mid-Range-Made-in-England-/150957406954?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2325c33aea

Here's a link for the xovr tho:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/104960-wharfedale-speaker-improvements.html

Thanks for the response. I've looked at eBAY UK, but with shipping, it does get a little pricey.

I looked at the link for the x-over mods, but that was for a 505, not an XP2....

Well, sorry about that. Maybe it was another forum I passed through. I found the xover post their very informative and it still might help you construct a good xover.

And, yes, after I posted the link to the mid range speakers I saw the price and they would be a bit pricey.

Just a follow up on the Wharfedale XP2 speakers I've had now for a couple of weeks. I've since cleaned and refinished the cabinets and they look very good to excellent. I used hand applied Watco Oil Finish. I've been using it for years on many wood projects and the secret is in how much to apply and how long to leave it on before buffing off excess. Generally, when sanded down to bare wood or with new wood, you leave it on for 30 minutes, apply some more and leave that on for 10 to 15 minutes, then wipe off ALL excess. After two or three days, you can also lightly sand again with 220 or 240 grit emery paper with the grain and then apply another coat of Watco, leave it on for 30 to 40 minutes and hand wipe and buff , , , adding a bit more if it has set up to much (gets tacky) and then buff with a clean terry cloth. I use the inside of old socks.

Well, enough about refinishing. The grills are in excellent shape as can be seen in the attached picture. What I wanted to do is try the XP2 with a couple of receivers. First I hooked up my Pioneer SX-780 and listened to both FM radio from classical to jazz and light rock, with some Big Band thrown in. Well, on the Pioneer the sound was ok to good depending on the material, but not up to what I thought the Wharfedales were capable of. There was a tubbiness in the bass at times and sometimes they just sounded a little muddy. My bench mark test was "Gerald Albright At Birdland West" on CD, played through my Kyocera DA-310cx. I like to use tracks 2 and 3 for quick listens as I am familiar with the nuances of these tracks and they span a wide range of dynamics in musical performance.

So, after a few days on the Pioneer SX-780, I put my Sony STR-6065 into place and auditioned some more FM radio of the same mix. Immediately the music became more lively, clean, and clear. Even on FM, gone was the tubby sound that the Pioneer seemed to impart to these speakers. Also, no more muddy mid range and high end. Instead I am now treated to an amazing clean and balanced performance. On Albright's, "Georgia On My Mind" the bass was clean and tight. Very solid with no offensive tubby or boxy sound to it. On track 3 , "Softly At Sunrise" and track 4 "Too Cool", these speakers gave me all I had hoped for in sonic pleasure.
The whole sound presented was now full and balanced, smooth and detailed. The very soft cymbals were cleanly and effortlessly presented. . . and , yes transparent. The Sony STR-6065 (and probably my STR-7065) was made for these speakers. The combination is exactly what I was looking for. I'm not trying to command attention to be labeled a Sony fan-boy, but this combination is just so easy on the ears and clean. The Kyocera CD player also does a fine job and when I get this set up in the lower level reading and craft room I believe I will be spending a lot of time playing my LPs on one of my Dual 1229Qs as well as many choices from my CD library.

100_0971_zps2e3dfb23.jpg

Attachments

• 100_0970.jpg
    100_0970.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_0971.jpg
    100_0971.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0972.jpg
    100_0972.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_0973.jpg
    100_0973.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Does anyone know if Wharfedale ever made stands for these speakers? Or what kind of stands would work for an 8" 3-way system like this?

They are about 18.5"H x 10.5" W x 9.5" D.

Back
Top Bottom