PSB MU4-1 Headphone review

LocknLoad

I couldn’t find a PSB MU4-1 headphone review here so I thought I’d add this for anyone considering them.

I needed a new pair of phones. I haven’t had a really good pair of full size headphones in some time.

I had some Sennheiser 414’s back in the 70’s, prior to that some white Pioneer’s with volume controls on each ear cup that crackled when you turned them up and down. Most recently I was given a pair of Bose Tri-ports which I sold shortly thereafter and have held off buying replacements. After comparing several headphones at my local HiFi shop I purchased PSB MU4-1’s, I’m really happy with them, they sound outstanding.

Comparisons made at the retail location:
AKG 701’s – smoother highs than the Grado 80’s, and a very comfortable fit, but the lows were not as strong as the PSB’s.
Klipsch Reference One, M40’s, & Image One’s – I had high hopes with the Klipsch phones, considering I have 5 pr of their speakers. But they had muddy lows and non existent highs
Grado SR80i – very comfortable, I really wanted to like these sonically more than I did. I found harsh highs in some instances, and not much bass.
Grado 125i – a moderate bump over the 80’s but not enough.
Grado 225i – smoother highs, but still not enough lows.
Sennheiser HD439 & HD449 – I liked both of these but the bass was more defined in the PSB’s. Build quality of the PSB’s seemed more rugged as well.

The PSB’s are on the heavy side, you won’t forget you have them on, and they do cover the ear so they are isolating, which may not be good for some. They are tight fitting but comfortable, a padded headband, the ear pads have some movement so they can adjust to your head. They fold for travel, but don’t swivel like a DJ might want.

Sonically, they are spectacular to my ears. The lows are crisp, tight, you feel the lows, but there is no exaggeration of the lows, they aren’t muddy, like some phones smear the lows into a singular blah that they pass off as a representation of bass. Bose tri-ports come to mind as I write this.

Highs are smooth, crisp, not crashy or irritable after an extended time listening to them. More than anything the PSB’s provide natural sonic representation of every note. They aren’t exaggerated, they aren’t boosted in any way, nor muffled. They’re true to the sound.

I know the Grado 80’s are about $100, and the PSB’s were $260 on sale, so yea they aren’t an apples to apples comparison. For my purposes, I narrowed it down to the Grado 80’s vs. the PSB’s. Save some coin and enjoy the light fit of the Grado’s I thought.

I listened to a number of lossless recordings I had brought with me, there was clearly a difference in sound between the Grado 80i and the MU4-1’s, but it wasn’t until I pulled a recording of Chicago’s first album (when they were Chicago Transit Authority) and listened to “I’m a Man”. Those that know it, it starts with a heavy bass line with just the slightest cymbal keeping time in the background, drums come in, a wood block followed by 37 seconds into the song the tambourines come in, which is smooth as silk with the PSB’s, and oh so irritating with the Grado 80’s. While wearing the Grado’s it made me reach for the volume knob to turn it down. The PSB’s, every single instrument is clearly identifiable. There’s a discernible clarity difference in every song I listed to on headphones. The Chicago recording sealed it for me.

I switched to Blue Mountain “Epitaph”, an acoustic guitar driven piece. The guitar sounded absolutely lifelike, you could hear his fingers sliding on the strings. Something else I noticed I’ve never heard before on that piece it what sounds like a metronome in the background keeping time. Chris Squire’s “Lucky Seven” sounded outstanding, tonally very different than Epitaph, but no less a lifelike representation of each instrument. To my ears, I haven’t found a weak spot in any of the songs I’ve sampled with them so far.

Drawbacks? None so far, but no headphone is perfect. These are heavier than any of the other phones I compared them to. They also make a pretty good seal around your ear, so I suspect they could be warm to wear for any extended period of time in the summer. We’ll see on both counts. When it came down to it, sound reproduction triumphed over my concerns of them being too heavy.

The MU4-1’s come in black, white, and dark red. Come with two headphone cords, one has a iPhone inline control/microphone, the other does not. The cord can be plugged into the headphones on either the right or left side. The one thing that seem out of place is the head phone cords, it’s nice they included the in line control and mic , but neither seems exceptionally heavy duty. Both function fine, but personal preference, I’d like to see a cloth covered cord included which would be more in line with the rest of the build quality.

Also comes with a semi hard case, and an extra set of ear pads. If you’re in the market for new headphones, I highly recommend you give them a listen before buying.

Attachments

• PSB M4u-1.jpg
    PSB M4u-1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the review LnL. I've been sitting on the fence about these for a little while. I think they're probably a better deal than the MU4-2's, for me at least. I'm not in any situations where I would need noise cancelling & for the extra $100 you could get something like the Schiit Magni, which would probably be a better all around amp than the one in the MU4-2's plus you could use it with any other phones you have. I've had a pair of the Grado SR-80's for about 15 years & really like them but if getting another pair of phones would want to get something that had a different sound, just for variety's sake. Speaking of possibly different, but for the same price as the SR-80's, has anyone heard the Beyerdynamic DTX 501p's? Sound And Vision, the same publication that gave the MU4-2's their Product Of The Year award gave the 501p's a good review as well. Again, thanks for the review.

Ben

Ben -
You're welcome. Your situation is much like mine, didn't see the need to pay an extra $100 for the noise cancelling, just didn't have the environment to justify them. I did order a Schit Magni and Modi that are on the way. Give the PSB's a listen, I was really impressed.

Please let us know your impressions with the Magni. I had only gotten to hear the M4U 2's for a few seconds around a month or so ago. I'll be going back to audition them again this afternoon. They also have the M4U 1's but they aren't unboxed. I figure listening to the 2's w/o any of the active circuitry should give the same sound as the 1's. There are only 2 stores in my town that carry higher end phones. I had stopped by the other one earlier today & all they had were the Klipsches (not counting their Beats collection - but they were "higher end" beats). They had the M40's there. It would be nice to have them & the PSB's at the same place since I'll have forgotten enough about how the M40's sound to give them a very good comparison. I'm heading in slightly biased towards the PSB's though. They have a Pro-ject headphone amp there but I'll probably listen straight out of the headphone jack on the Cowon S9. Anyway it will be great to hear how you like the addition of the Magni. Thanks.

Ben

Last edited:
Mikey - Let us know how you like them.

From the review - “I could close my eyes and see the musicians playing,” and “I love the presence in the sound.” Brent said “Darned close to perfect, one of the best headphones made,” and “the naturalness of this headphone’s sound is almost impossible to beat at any price.” I felt that the more you listen to them, the more you like them, and that they just let the music through.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

BTW - I noticed that I mis-identified these (M4U-1) in the title of this ... ugh...

Back
Top Bottom