The Fisher Coronet

Charivari

Fighting Naïve Realism
My recent experience with a Fisher Promenade has opened my mind to the vintage world of consoles as being a source of musical enjoyment. So, I've done a little looking around and have located a Fisher Coronet stereophonic console from 1964 supposedly in great shape and working.

Anyone know something about this unit and what might be a reasonable price?

Thanks,
- JP

Hi J.P.,
If you´re gonna start threading the Console Route, you´re going to find they are rather more difficult to stack than speakers.... :D
Jorge

There were many Fisher amps/receivers that were given unique names when they were sold installed in consoles, as opposed to being sold as individual units.

Can you post any pictures?

hifi_nut said:
If you´re gonna start threading the Console Route, you´re going to find they are rather more difficult to stack than speakers.... :D
Ooh, good point, I've already two and that's three too many in regards to space. At least there is an advantage, it takes fewer stacked consoles to make a nice shelter to live in than speakers. :) You are right, though, I'm bad enough with speakers and have little enough space because of them as it is. Maybe consoles shouldn't be my thing.

Fisherdude, I wish I could post some pictures, but the seller didn't send me any when I asked. All I know is that there's some gold components mounted in the front, according to the seller.

At any rate, I did something foolish and went and won an auction for a pair of speakers on "the auction place", so the money for the console is no longer there.

If anyone in the Seattle region is possibly interested, I can give ya the seller's number.

Say, I did see your post in the other forum about having lots of Fisher paraphenilia. You wouldn't happen to have any paperwork on the Promenade I posted about below, would ya?
- JP

Gold probably means the polished brass of which most was mono. 500B reciever is an exception but that would be a single. Polished brass does exclude most all stereo tuners though.

Thatch_Ear said:
Gold probably means the polished brass of which most was mono. 500B reciever is an exception but that would be a single. Polished brass does exclude most all stereo tuners though.
Odd, the seller quoted the front as reading "stereophonic." I thought the 500 was stereo and gold colored?

Well, the ad said precisely this (the seller told me the gold thing later):

1964 "The Fisher" Coronet Sterophonic system. Works nicely when dialed in and adjusted correctly. Has a nice deep, rich sound. She was the top of the line in her day.
- JP

I said it was an exception. How many besides the 500B are I don't know, but if there is more than one gold componant it won't be a 500B and most of the shiney brass faced stuff was mono. There was a point in time when most large HiFi manufacturors marketed "Sterophonic" products that had an AM and FM section that could be used at the same time to pull in multicasts, the only way stereo could be done by radio. Old tube gear tuners are always suspect untill you eyeball the multiplexer.

Fisher did make stereo tuners, preamps, recievers, not sure about power amps, but most was in the brushed aluminum "champagne".

It could have a separate multiplexer, it could have a mono reciever and a mono block amp, and a multiplexer, but that is a single face.........lots of combos.

Fisher marketed in a console a SE reciever. I have seen a number of Fisher consoles but I have never seen a stereo one using polished brass componants and though I have seen stereo Fisher gear in consoles, it did look like the console was bought and the componants chosen to go in it, not something Fisher did. There are I am sure many things out there I have never seen, I just wanted to point out that most gold, or polished brass, Fisher gear was mono. Most brushed face stuff was stereo, but there again I would bet there are stereo Fisher tuners that are not stereo FM.

Interesting, I had no clue. (I seem to be saying that more and more lately.) I've never been able to afford any Fisher stuff aside from the console I picked up this weekend, so I've never had reason to do much research into it.

That stereo tuner stuff is definitely something I think I'd like to read more about, if you know any websites talking about it. It sounds a lot like a "differential receiver" such as the Hallicrafters DD-1 and many military receivers.

Would it be possible for the seller to confuse the "champagne" as being gold colored?

At any rate, the money's gone elsewhere to perhaps a lesser purchase, but I'm happier for it.
- JP

It could be the brushed and that the gear was chosen for the console just as easy as anything else. It is hard to go by written descriptions sometimes unless you know exactly what the model numbers are and how they came. Fisher was around for a long time and made a large number of models. I like the quality and feel if they had made less it would fetch higher prices than it does.

Lets answer several questions here...and put to bed some myths.

"Gold or Brass" face panels does not automatically rule out stereo. The stereo integrateds, receivers, and mono (AM-FM stereo tuners) from 1958-1961 all had gold/brass facepanels. This includes the X-101-ST (the first stereo integrated from Fisher-1958), X-101-A, X-100, X-202, 500-S, 600, 800, 400C, 400CX, FM-50, FM-100, 100r, 101r, 100-T and 202-T.

All of the above with the exception of the 800 (which has a very unique face panel) have a "rolled brass" face panel with rounded corners on the tuner dial glass cutout. They also feature a black "pinstripe".

The 400-C was also available with an extruded aluminum face panel.

The 1962-1963 units were also available with a "golden lacquered" extruded aluminum face panel. This includes the X-202-B, X-101-B, X-100, X-1000, FM-100-B, FM-50-B, FM-200, 202-R, FM-200-B, FM-1000, 400CX-2, 500B, 800B. The KX-200 and KM-60 were also made in lacquered versions as well as the MPX-100 multiplex adapter.

The above units (the exceptions being the mono FM-200 and 202-R tuners and the MPX-100) also were available with the more common aluminum finish...and there is even a champagne finish on some of them.

The units with the extruded panels that did not come in a "golden lacquered" finish, are the X-100-B, KX-100, X-101-C, SA-1000, K-1000, R-200, MF-300 and MF-320.

Fisherdude is correct- Fisher did utilize the same series names for their consoles such as "The President", "The Ambassador", "The Coronet", and "The Executive". The denoted a change by adding a number (eg: "The President IX").

The Coronet that the seller most likely has is the model that has the SA-16 amplifier, and the 100-T Tuner/PreAmp. It is a wonderful console...espiecially when it is in the "Modern" cabinet. They are worth about $300-$500 going by EBAY prices the past year- two popped up. The SA-16 and 100-T go for decent money by themselves.

A tip for all you guys who rob Fisher consoles for their amps...to combat turntable rumble being audible through the speakers...Fisher replaced the main coupling caps with .0047uf instead of the normal .047uf in many models. So if you are going to rebuild a console amp and use it "freestanding" replace them with the proper .047uf caps.

The "Allegro" console unit...is often mistaken for a SE design...it is not. It utilizes the 6HU8 tube which is a twin pentode...push pull in one bottle. Sadly people end up spending big bucks on EBAY for these because the seller usually lists them as SE amps. At a glance it appears to be a SE EL-84 amp. It is cool looking though...it looks like a mini X-100-B and FM-50-B.

Last edited:
Ok, I managed to snag some more information from the seller. Pictures are below and the seller found this info on the back of the console:

Fisher Radio Corporation-NEW YORK "The Fisher" Model C-55 P, 120 volts 60 cycles 290 watts.

- JP

Back from class for a little bit, I took the third image (it was originally a little larger, but very fuzzy) and focused in on the receiver. Here's the image as cleaned up as I can get it with a little perspective correction, hence the funky knobs.

Anyone recognize it? It seems to have some similar styling clues to the 400/500 series, but not the same, it would seem.
- JP

I guess I was wrong...

Hi again J.P.
You might be able to stack another console on top of that one after all, for, as far as I can see, the lid does not swing open, like in so many other models, to give you access to the tt.
So there´s still some hope for you, after all.... :D
Jorge

As I posted before....it is the Coronet with the 100-T preamp/tuner and the SA-16 amplifier. Very nice unit...but I could do without the provincial cabinet!!! The 100-T has a AM/FM stereo system (obsolete) but there is space on the chassis to add a Multiplex board.

How much is the guy asking??? If I get him to send me the units I might be interested. Hate to part out a console...but nobody ever seems to want the provincial style consoles...they all want the mid century modern/danish style.

I got it!

Interesting weekend, picked up a great pair of speakers ... and this console. I was worried about the space issues and the like, so I lowballed an offer of under half what the seller was asking, figuring that they'd automatically say no and I could let the deal alone without wondering if I should've gone for it. Well, instead of the 'no' I was expecting, I received a hearty yes.

Drove down to where it was yesterday with some friends and dragged it back. Overall, the console is in much better condition than I was expecting and not quite as ugly as the pictures the seller had implied. Brought it back to my friends' rented house, which is nearly barren of furniture. Rather than them letting me bring it back with me today, they decided to confiscate the console because they liked the looks of it in their living room and because there was only a sofa and table in there beforehand. We reached a compromise where I would take the electronics back with me, since I've heard the SA-16 is a great amp for Tannoy speakers like mine, and they'd keep the cabinet to use as a table or something.

Now, I'm not saying I've gutted the console, rather the cabinet is being put to some use elsewhere while I use the electronics, should I decide to part with the latter, they will be reinstalled in the console.

For the record, JimmyDee was correct, the units inside were a 100-T and SA-16 in pretty good condition with a Garrard RC88/4 in the bottom drawer. I've not fired off the pre or amp just yet as I plan to try the lightbulb variac device outlined in the DIY section.

Here's some pictures for the curious. I'm definitely excited to get everything running and see if the SA-16 really is as good sounding an amp as everyone who has one says it is.
- JP

And the electronics. I quickly brushed some of the dust off the SA-16 for the picture, but not the 100-T. I believe the 'Korting' unit is an add-on multiplexer, due to where it's connected, but it certainly does not fit the hole in the chassis beneath. Should I try to find the proper unit? Does anyone know where I might find one?

- JP

Great score...and if you didn't take the drivers you should...the 8" units are Jensen (Jensen's "code" is 220 and the 220026 decodes as Jensen 26th week of 1960) and the pair will probably fetch you at least $30-$50 on EBAY.

I cannot make out the codes on the tweeter and the woofer...look around for a three digit number and match it up to known EIA codes. Just type in "EIA codes" on google and lists will pop up.

The original multiplex unit for the 100-T is a "crosby system" unit and will not work with the system that the FCC adopted in 1962...which is still in use today. On top of that it is rare, and Fisher collectors (like myself) are willing to pay stupid amounts of money for examples of the MPX-20.

What you can do...is a MPX-65 board (from a 400/500C/800C receiver) or a W/WX board (from a FM-50B, FM-100B, FM-200B, FM-1000, 500B, 800B) will fit. The Fisher Doc sells a kit to install this board on your unit. If you buy the kit from Al, he includes a MPX board with the kit.

Your other option...which is "cooler" (at least in my opinion!!!) is to get a Fisher MPX-100 outboard multiplex adapter. But...they are expensive. Other MPX adapters will work (people seem to think they won't...but they do) but no MPX adapter is cheap. The bottom of the line UGLY GE console MPX adapter will still set you back $50-75. Most outboard adapters are RARE...and people go nuts bidding on them.

Once again, great score...and you will be very happy with the units!!!

Thanks for the input, JimmyDee. Since price is always a factor with me, I think one of the options you suggested will have to wait. Do you know anything about the Korting unit, though? Is it sufficient as it is?

As to the 1962 FCC thing, there's a shadow of a former unit on the chassis beneath the Korting. I can't help but think that there may have been an original Fisher multiplexer there that was switched out for this other to work with modern FM. Wonder what the difference is between the two. Could it be that the Crosby system was true FM while the current practice is more towards angle modulation? (FM and AM components to the signal, which is why I could receive FM broadcasts on an old AM VHF Hallicrafters tuner of mine.)

As to the speakers, they're still in my possession, just on loan to my friends. I could grab them anytime I want, but I have misgivings about it. I'm not too fond of the prospects of parting out a perfectly good console (or speaker) just for the monetary aspect. Aside from some small dark marks on the top of the console, everything is in very good condition, so I don't particularly want to permanently dismember it. Just borrow the electronics out of it for a while.

Since the numbers aren't entirely legible and if anyone's curious, the speaker driver information is as follows:

Tweeter: LS-830-107 220030
Midrange: LS 831 106,P8RJ,C6960 220026
Woofer: LS-831-105 16 Ω 8 W

'Nuther thing, all the tubes that I've seen so far and certainly all those in the amplifier are original Fisher brand tubes. It appears that this unit simply didn't receive tremendous amounts of use and was rather well-maintained.

On a side note, there's some white marks on the chassis plating that didn't show in the picture. It looks pretty recent and I suspect the person who I bought this from used some sort of solvent real quick to clean it up a little bit for sale. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks,
- JP

There was originally a blank plate where the MPX-20 was supposed to go...the blank plate says on it "Remove before installing Model MPX-20 MPX Adapter"....most likely the plate was just removed.

Speaking with several Fisher collectors (one who has been into this crap since 1966) it really is such a rare item. The 1966 collector...has only seen two in 39 years...and he has had so much equipment pass through his hands that two in only 39 years is really low!!!

The Crosby system was the system that was preferred by the Hi-Fi manufacturers back in the day...and when it came down to it the FCC narrowed it down to the Crosby systen and the current system. Apparently the main problem with the Crosby system was that it used up to much transmitter bandwith...and it also did not have the backing of such giants such as Zenith and General Electric...which were the supporters and designers of the current system.

The SA-16 if I remember correctly has crappy ceramic caps being used in the coupling cap positions. These should be replaced with high quality polyester or polyprop film. After a rebuild that SA-16 will be quite awesome. Contrary to popular belief...the SA-16 IS NOT a "console version of the SA-100" power amp.

Jimmydee said:
The SA-16 if I remember correctly has crappy ceramic caps being used in the coupling cap positions. These should be replaced with high quality polyester or polyprop film. After a rebuild that SA-16 will be quite awesome. Contrary to popular belief...the SA-16 IS NOT a "console version of the SA-100" power amp.

Applying your advice, I was just now giving the SA-16 a look over to see the caps you mentioned and to see if there were any obviously bad ones before I tried bringing it up tomorrow. Turns out the Frako 75 mfd 25 v red cap wonder has blown an end cap completely off. Hopefully that's the only reason why this console was available in the first place, but it does mean a delay of enjoyment.

So, since I'll have to be replacing one cap, I might as well replace 'em all. Where would you suggest that I go looking for the caps you recommended at a good price for small quantities? Come to think of it, you talk about a "rebuild." Could you spare the time to say exactly what you mean by this and what I should look into doing to rebuild this SA-16? It seems to be a fairly simple design, so it'd be a good one to do and save the 100-T for a little later.

Thanks for your help.
- JP

Back
Top Bottom