Audio Technia AT-PL120 USB Professional Direct-Drive Turntable

arcorob

Addicted Member
Audio Technica LP120 USB Professional Direct-Drive Turntable

All I can say is ...wow.

From AMAZON
Received the replacement today, setup was 10 minutes. The cart was pre-mounted but of course the overhang and angle was off. I used a normal Baerwald protractor and the famous Mirror Protractor sold on BT. Perfect alignment,

So I set it up and tested here out. Sweet. Noiseless, smooth operation. The speed stays rock steady in either quartz lock or manual. The only drawback, they should have an indicator light to tell you if you are manual or quartz lock. The only way you know is if you move the slider. If the table reacts, you aren't in quartz lock.

All adjustments are precise and easy to work. From balancing to VTA and the arm leaves the cart azimuth perfect.

I spun one of my favorite test albums (Captain Fantastic) and even with the $49 AT95E, it sounded wonderful. I tried the speed controls and even the reverse button. Stop brakes stop on a dime.

Okay, so then I took the needle off the album and turned the received volume all the way up. DEAD SILENT. No hiss, no hum. Wow. Its running in LINE IN mode using the internal pre-amp

I like it so much, I have a dilemma. I may just want to keep this home and bring either my Dual or my self built table in to work...Only issue is this.

The Dual has an AT150MLx. The self built, an MC cart ATOC9/III. What do I move where ? I was thinking put the AT150MLx on the Audio Technica TT, the MC cart on the Dual but it would be a crime to put an AT95E on my self built table. You've all seen that thing and the high end arm...I would get another cart, maybe a nice ADC but still..decisions decision.

Solid thumbs up to this table, and based on other tables I have used, compared, including Technics (no, no SL-1200) I would hold it up in a shootout. I'll know better when I try the AT150MLx on it.

Pictures ...we all love pictures !

488055_607635635918569_645373464_n.jpg

75586_607635529251913_1320821268_n.jpg

207263_607635469251919_1899627962_n.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you got the replacement in and that you sound more than happy ! That's awesome ! I've been watching with interest - I love my vintage Garrard and Dual turntables as well as a couple of older Technics ( SL-D303 & SL-D3 ) BUT I've been seriously considering a brand new warranted TT without spending a huge amount of money in these tight economic times we're in ! With your write up I'm really toward ordering one of these ! I've also been researching the Pro-Ject carbon but that's about double the cost of this if not more ! And you mention that even the cart and stylus that came with it are decent ! I really can't see NOT picking up one of these ! The reviews on Amazon are stellar as well !
Thanks for sharing your review ! Enjoy !

One concern: Did it come with a ground wire - I read a few reviews that commented on a noticeable hum and I'm thinking some commented on it NOT having a ground wire

Last edited:
Wait a spell before you make any changes in your plans... 1st dates can be deceiving :D

Am happy you are happy :music:

Rob!!!! So happy for you! Got that replacement fast, eh? I knew you would be happy with the AT. I mean, what's not to like, right? It's a good table.....of course Tinear would completely disagree because of the wow/flutter specs, but nothing speaks better than actual experience with said table. Kudos!!!

Thanks all...

Maybe it is first date lust but damned if I can find a reason not to like this table at $200 , cart included. If there was hum or hiss or other issues or if anything felt cheesy...but its built like a tank...

Now I am anxious to put the AT150Mlx on it..just to see how she sounds...but no time tonight. Then I am away for 5 days...UGGG

Its just kind of nice to have something brand new that stacks up against other items I have...but again, its yet to pass the ultimate stress test, high end cart, etc...see how inner tracks sound.

Glad folks liked the review...I think we found a good secret here folks...(well..okay..some of you knew already...LOL)

Not sure if you read my comment in the other thread...

When I was thinking about the non-USB version of this TT I did some asking around and found that the Ortofon Concorde cart is a match. The stylus tips are numerous , Mono to 78s

Correct me if I'm wrong - but wouldn't this be the LP Model and not the AP - looking at the models on Amazon - it has the USB Model as LP and the NON USB as Model PL ?

Wow! Good god! I think I just found a second spare TT! I've always wanted a Technics workhorse (1200 series), but the prices on them keep creeping up. They are as much as an entry level Rega, Project, etc. (All of which I happen to dislike).
This is getting kind of difficult though, because I currently have 3 TTs (Pioneer PL-510A with AT95E and sounds great, Pioneer PL-530 and a Denon DP47-f which needs a new cart/stylus) Trouble is that all work fine, well except the PL530 which has a spot of trouble turning off. Anyway, this AT table looks to be built as tough as a Technics. It's attractive as well.
I'm at a loss for what to do. I feel that upon further review from Arcorob after the honeymoon it may turn out a great TT indeed and then I'll have a great desire to pick one up. Problem is I have no place to put it.
Damn!

Wow! Good god! I think I just found a second spare TT! I've always wanted a Technics workhorse (1200 series), but the prices on them keep creeping up. They are as much as an entry level Rega, Project, etc. (All of which I happen to dislike).
This is getting kind of difficult though, because I currently have 3 TTs (Pioneer PL-510A with AT95E and sounds great, Pioneer PL-530 and a Denon DP47-f which needs a new cart/stylus) Trouble is that all work fine, well except the PL530 which has a spot of trouble turning off. Anyway, this AT table looks to be built as tough as a Technics. It's attractive as well.
I'm at a loss for what to do. I feel that upon further review from Arcorob after the honeymoon it may turn out a great TT indeed and then I'll have a great desire to pick one up. Problem is I have no place to put it.
Damn!

Oh I bet you'll find a spot for it ! Some days this darn hobby makes me crazy ! I've got 2 cheap TT's stacked up waiting for a couple of my grown kids to get the bug - when they are these 2 are ready to go !

I had one of the initial AT-LP120 USB tables, came with the AT cart that tracked at like 3g-5g. I replaced it with a Nagaoka MP-110 and that did wonders! But mine was a bit noisy, maybe they cleaned up the internal amp some. Mine did not have a earth wire, they state the electrical cord grounds it, no need for separate wire.

The table held speed very well.....I never noticed the high w&f spec, pianos sounded nice and stable.

I really enjoyed that table and for $200 it performs at dbl the price considering all the options you get for that price.

Enjoy it Rob!!!

Sorry

Frank and others...Couldn't keep up with replies, busy night.

Correction on the MODEL , yes...I will correct the subject line...It was a copy and paste from the wrong spot...LOL

Frank, if I can, want to keep in my AT family...I am going to try the AT150MLx on it ...and if I did get a new cart, kind of curious on the SHURE V15

Catcher...The AT95E it has on it is currently set at 1.80gr which is sort of mid-range...Did you have the white cart ?

Withmusic...you have some great tables...I would not necessarily switch but I had a reason...I purposely limited myself to two home tables. After setting up an office system, I decided it was okay to have a 3rd (again). I didn't know I liked it so much....LOL...so now I either get a cheapy for the office or I skip the office and just keep 3 at home...or...one of the home tables comes in to the office...Its a dilemma because now, all 3 are awesome.

But if you did get one, you would NOT be disappointed ..

Bottom line all..I PROMISE when I get the other cart on it to run some torture tests and report back. First blush is awesome, but how does it run with a better cart, how does it handle piano's, symbols, thumping bass or the obstacle course album...so, before I give it 5 star beyond the first blush, let me work it out...ll

Now I have my ATLP120 in my family room for casual listening. My main TT is SL1200MK2 with a Shure M97xE in my home theater. I have been using this ATLP120 near a year and it works very well. It is heavy and the speed is steady. It runs quietly and I never heard any hum. It is well built though I do think its craftmanship is average. AT95E is quite bright and mostly I use the TT listening to solo instrument with a pair of studio monitors.

Withmusic...you have some great tables...I would not necessarily switch but I had a reason...I purposely limited myself to two home tables. After setting up an office system, I decided it was okay to have a 3rd (again). I didn't know I liked it so much....LOL...so now I either get a cheapy for the office or I skip the office and just keep 3 at home...or...one of the home tables comes in to the office...Its a dilemma because now, all 3 are awesome.

But if you did get one, you would NOT be disappointed ..

Bottom line all..I PROMISE when I get the other cart on it to run some torture tests and report back. First blush is awesome, but how does it run with a better cart, how does it handle piano's, symbols, thumping bass or the obstacle course album...so, before I give it 5 star beyond the first blush, let me work it out...ll

Yes, who would have thought that the lowly little Pioneer PL510A would be a great TT? Mine is completely stock running a AT95E cart and I love it. It shouldn't sound that great with a stock tonearm, wiring, etc. and a $50 cart, but I can't deny what I'm hearing.
Yes, I guess I have some great tables, but reading your review so far and seeing the pics has me :drool::drool:
I have my PL510A hooked up to my vintage system and my Denon hooked up to my modern system. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it, but from what I have that Simuko Blue Point cart has to go, anyway I digress.
My PL530 sits in the closet as a spare TT and I do need to get it fixed for that "won't turn off problem". It's cramped, but I guess I could make room in the closet for the AT table somehow. I'm thinking I could set it on top of the Pioneer PL530 with a drop cloth between them, but I don't know how heavy the AT table is. I wouldn't want to set something heavy on the Pioneer dust cover. (I'll have to think this through). I'd then swap it with the PL510 when I finish my digitizing project and play with it for a time. Then I can swap them again and just muck about with it all.
I'm not going to run out and get the AT straight away, but as of right now, pending further review, it is on my very short list.

I'm so glad you give such a positive review of this turntable. As I've said before, I'd really love to see more appreciation toward Super-OEM turntables. And although the AT-LP120-USB isn't a Super-OEM TT (it's an OEM without the "Super" prefix), I still think it's one of the best options for a home record listener in a budget.

I have a question for anyone that has one of these AT-LP120-USB's. Can you connect the Lineout and USB at the same time? Lineouts to my receiver and the USB to the computer to do rips with and leave them there so I don't have to reach around and change them? Thanks.

I have a question for anyone that has one of these AT-LP120-USB's. Can you connect the Lineout and USB at the same time? Lineouts to my receiver and the USB to the computer to do rips with and leave them there so I don't have to reach around and change them? Thanks.

I did that with my Numark just for testing purposes when I received it. It should work on the AT-LP120-USB as well. However, I'm against using the USB port for transferring to PC. In my opinion, the source material should enter the converting path analogically, no matter it ends being digitized.

I'm so glad you give such a positive review of this turntable. As I've said before, I'd really love to see more appreciation toward Super-OEM turntables. And although the AT-LP120-USB isn't a Super-OEM TT (it's an OEM without the "Super" prefix), I still think it's one of the best options for a home record listener in a budget.
Are you saying this table is made by Hanpin? I always thought they made the PL120 themselves (or that the parts were exclusive for AT), and the LP120 seemed to be the same deal. Then they put out the AT-LP1240 though, and that certainly appears to be Hanpin. :dunno:

Back
Top Bottom