• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec horn help

kn8243

Well-Known Member
Looking for some assistance on this horn...

I'd like to believe its an old iconic horn but I can't be certain. The brackets are wrong and added at a later time. And it has a two bolt mounting flange. Please help if you can!

Horn1_zpsa4bb227e.jpg


Horn2_zpsf2d75ce7.jpg


Horn_zpse0973b62.jpg

\
Ho_zps929bc888.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
An 805 variation of some kind, you might want to look at the Lansing Heritage site, where they discuss Altec and JBL from the beginning. You might try contacting Syn-aud -con and see if Don or Carolyn Davis or other members can be reached who might recognize the product. The construction from the front looks lansing to me but the other views don't.
 
Not a typical Altec H-808 in my opinion ( apart from the 2-bolt flange ) , but instead looks to be a Lansing Model 808 ( ie; pre Altec purchase of LMCo. ).

Maybe ( this was NOS ) from the takeover/purchase that was then fitted up with Altecs standard 2-bolt fitting .

Nice horn / I'd like a pair !

4c.jpg


:)
 
Hmmm...I was wondering myself if it was from the iconic system...Thanks for your help. Anyone else have any feedback I'd appreciate it
 
AC2FCE24-18A2-469A-8DCD-24D36B81DE4E-1942-000001801232F741_zpsbc51dae3.jpg


7DEDDB60-05B3-40BC-954D-9BFA2E7004D8-1942-000001800DAC2F90_zps3193cde5.jpg


172F6480-E66B-4CE8-A1D4-DD39B1950171-1942-000001801B1556D9_zps9eee3240.jpg


The only thing thats throwing me for a loop is the bracket. It looks original, then it looks like someone else added two additional screws for each side on the bracket. It looks like it was suspended rather than mounted from the bottom. hmmm:scratch2:
 
OK, you've all suffered long enough.

It's a Stephens/Magnavox boys and girls.

Model 824H, 800hz, 2 rows of 4 cells each.

Early "tin knocker" H-808's were tar filled and weighed about 45lbs each.
 
Last edited:
Know-it-all ! ! . :D
I wish.

I really had to think about it for a couple days. I've never heard of a tin H808 that wasn't tar filled, i'm not sure if the Jim Lansing versions were all tar filled or not, but the lack of a 3 bolt flange pattern on the OP's made that moot anyway.

It was one of those silly things that comes to mind at the oddest moments. I was driving down the interstate just outside of Binghamton when it dawned on me that it was the multicell made by Stephens that they sourced some of to Magnavox.

It's a cool horn, undoubtedly not far off in value from an H808. If the OP has any kind of Altec, Stephens, or Lansing love, i'd set it aside and seek another. If it's acoustically on par with the H808(which i would expect), it'd be a sweet sounding horn. OTOH, it would flip for a fair chunk of change.
 
Back
Top Bottom