BEWARE eBay scam (page redirect)

smartin53

Wanted to warn because there are several McIntosh (and other A/V) items falling under this scam as we speak (I've reported them).

There are a bunch of $2500 Buy-It-Now listings under the user lazza17

When you go to the auction...the page almost seamlessly redirects you to a virtually identical page under the "woksit.com" domain. Clicking on links then prompts you for your username and password. Basically the ads have hidden redirect HTML code in them. Never seen anything like this on ebay before.

Looks like the fraud domain was registered today when I researched it. The intent obviously is to collect accounts to further the fraud.

I had to change my password asap because I missed this until after I signed in unknowingly to the site. Others may not be so lucky though so I wanted to get the word out.

Oh and this impacts IE and some versions of FireFox. Can't comment on other browsers.

Saw that today too, very slick, changed my password three times after that just to be sure...as they say if it seems to good to be true.....:nono:

Yeah, I saw that too, there was someone else doing something crazy with $1 reserve MK1.2KW's and MC2600's a while ago too.....

lazza17 is the seller. Interesting - its an auto forward to the new website. Seems the ebay page has been high jacked just by going to the listing.

Ebay needs to find out how and why and stop this hijack.

Bob

Will do!

Has nothing to so with Chrome and EVERYTHING TO DO WITH JAVA. The JAVA version for OS X is at least 2-3 versions behind Win 7&8. The cause is Apple itself has not released the proper patches (which it does for all sotware on Apple PC's). Also there is a very basic flaw in JAVA that cannot be fixed with simple patches a new rewrite is in order.

UNINSTALL JAVA and you will have no issues.

As the page loads, one of the page elements redirects to the false eBay site. I have a slow DSL line at work and was able to stop the page load, then report the item. Later in the day, Firefox tagged the site it redirects to as a phishing site.

Back
Top Bottom