Fisher Model E-48 Console Find

polecat16

Hello all.....I picked up a Fisher Electra Model E-48 console yesterday from a second hand furniture store for $40!!! It appears to be loaded up with tubes marked with the Fisher logo. Everything works (except the Garrard t-table). I was going to strip out the amp and preamp/tuner but the mahogany cabinet is in such great condition that I decided t leave it alone......I can't for the life of me find any blemishes anywhere on the cabinet. This thing is heavy as hell too. Right now, I have it set up in my office and plan on using it regularly. I'm wondering if there's any enthusiasm for these console stereos out there. Thanks for looking.
Here's a few photos.....finally got the chance to take some.

Attachments

• DSC_0090.jpg
    DSC_0090.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0088.jpg
    DSC_0088.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_0086.jpg
    DSC_0086.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC_0087.jpg
    DSC_0087.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Check out the STICKY's at the top of the FORUM. There's 2 that would interest you. Fisher consoles from 1945-1959 and 1959-65 I think it is (without looking). Your's is a 1963 Custom Electra VI, with the 490A amp and 490-T Tuner/preamp. The Garrard is a Type "AT-6". Service manual can be found @ www.fisherconsoles.com. The Garrard Manual can be found @ www.vinylengine.com. You need to free register on VE.

In the two Sticky's you'll find that the Fisher consoles are heavily represented in AK. I've got 8 or 9 (if you count the 560 companion speaker as a separate it's 9). There are quite a few of us with multiple units. All are in better than good condition with many of them having the tuners/preamp/amps overhauled.

If you are going to play it on ANY basis, I'd recommend a recap of the electrolytic cap's under the chassis and the can's on the top. The chassis' have plenty of room, so putting individual caps underneath to replace the cans is a good alternative. The Garrard should be nothing more than a good cleaning of the old grease underneath, and relubing the operating mechanism. And a good cleaning of the inside of the platter and the idler wheel with alcohol. If the wheel has a glazed or hard edge, just replace it. www.thevoiceofmusic.com has the wheels (either direct purchase or use the old one as a core). It's a good combo.

When you get a chance take some pictures and post them. If the paper label on the back is intact take a picture of it (save it for future reference) and post that also.

Larry

For some - like myself - enthusiasm doesn't really cover it. Obsession might be more accurate. Wait until some of the other hardcore Fisher console aficionados chime in or check out some of the links in the Fisher Console Compendium sticky at the top of the page. That should give you some idea of the serious nature of the disease. You've come to the right place.

Congratulations on your '63 Custom Electra VI. Mahogany should mean its the Modern cabinet. I think that model is among Fisher's best looking designs. Any chance you could post a few photos?

EDIT: I see one of those hardcore Fisher console people has already checked in. Hi, Larry.

Last edited:
... Your's is a 1963 Custom Electra VI, with the 490A amp and 490-T Tuner/preamp.
Larry:

My E-48 has a 480-A and 490-T.

attachment.php

480an.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
Dave; I used the info from FISHERCONSOLES.com

I believe Red mentioned in one of his historical posting in one of the console threads that Fisher sometimes put different amps in some models. If you look at the schematics for the 6BQ5-7189 amps used from 1961 to 1964 there are very minor differences. Like the driver tubes. 7247's for the early versions then 12ax7's for the later ones. Otherwise they are for the most part identical. the '62 Futura is listed as using the 480-A. It's possible that your's came with a 480 either early on in the game in '63 when production of the 490A had not ramped up or they had an overabundance of 480's left over and they got stuck in the electra's for whatever reason.

Larry

Last edited:
After scanning search tempest for a year and a half I finally found a '62 Electra VI in Dayton and just got back home @ iNdY. Almost went to Battle Creek MI after an Ampex but the Fisher was abt 600.00 cheaper and 250 miles closer... no regrets at all! This thing is 3/4" solid wood! Stale mismatched sylvanias paired with a couple original "Made in England" house tubes, never been serviced, friends I can't imagine the thing sounding any better. The late 40ish son of a fellow who passed away 6 yrs ago sold it for his mother and they had used it semi regularly, maybe thought I was being a bit fussy asking him not to turn it on for me so here I am listening to the Blues Cafe on NPR.
My back loaded horns sound great, sure, but I'm amazed at the depth and richness of high frequencies out of those, what, 4" tweets. I wonder what the crossover frequencies are? The thing has a sonic character that I deeply respect, I don't want to mismatch anything when I go into it. I'm not gonne even test the tt, you can feel the platter vibrating hard with the tuner on. Suppose those reverbs enhanced Bing Crosby's voice?...
I'll pic up before I get started on it and, by the way, don't get a Pantech Marauder, the camera is a big worthless joke.

Back
Top Bottom