Record Doctor V RCM On AudioAdvisor

Twanx

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Anyone have one of these? Or one of the previous versions?

I am very interested in buying one, but most reviews I can find reference an older model and -minor- problems they have with it. Would love to hear some recent feedback.

Based on what I've read they're basically OEM'd Nitty Grittys. It doesn't bother me in the least that it's manual operation.

If it works well its a steal at $199 w/ free shipping. I'm an avid thrifter and vinyl enthusiast with no good way to clean records currently-only a CF brush and an "In The Groove" roller that's losing its tack.

please help! Thanks!

I've had one for over ten years and have absolutely no problems with mine.
If I remember correctly AudioAdvisor included a gallon of cleaner with it back then.
I think it has been a great value.

Very cool. I actually have my finger hovering over the checkout button.

I never thought I would be able to afford an RCM in any form. I considered building one but I don't have the patience.

Mine arrived last week.
Works good, I use spin clean first then vacuum dry. Seems to be a good match.
Was looking at the KAB EV1, but for a few dollars more, after shipping and tax, went with the built in vacuum

I have a fully manual Nitty Gritty and a Record Doctor (older one from the early 90's)

No difference really, except the Nitty Gritty has a nicer wood wrap around the outside.

BTW the KAB 'Gliding Platter' is a worthwhile upgrade, if you get it.

http://www.kabusa.com/

I had one and it worked very well, in fact close to my big $ aoto Nitty Gritty and VPI.

Interesting, in what ways are those machines better? From my perspective, it seems to me that these machines all operate basically the same sans the automatic features. Just curious. The price difference is big to me

I also have an earlier Record Doctor that I use with a Spin Clean. Love it. At $199 it is the best deal going, better grab it before they are gone.

No difference really, except the Nitty Gritty has a nicer wood wrap around the outside.

BTW the KAB 'Gliding Platter' is a worthwhile upgrade, if you get it.

Thanks for the pointer, that upgrade is cheap too, I was prepared to cringe at price.

New owners, Is the cleaning fluid that's included any good? Should I buy a different kind?

Hate to be a contrarian, but I have a Record Doctor RCM and I am really disappointed with it. I've made my case in many other threads, but the synopsis:
1. Dirty side of the record contacts the vacuum "lips" while the other side is being wetted/scrubbed. The velvet lips around the vacuum almost always leave a line of debris on the record wherever the rotation stops.
2. Rather clumsy way of turning the record. I used to get sore after cleaning half a dozen records, then I added my own rolling element thrust bearing that made a world of difference.
3. Doesn't seem to really suck off all the fluid. I'm always left with a haze of fluid dampness on the record that takes about 5 minutes to fully evaporate.
4. Ridiculously hard to drain. The drain hole is tiny. The inside of the case has a flat bottom, so the waste fluid doesn't run to the hole. You have to hold the whole machine over the sink and shake the bejeezus out of it to get even some of the fluid out of the thing.
5. I'm less than impressed with the results. I haven't tried any other RCMs, but the way most folks describe them, they're like the second coming. This one doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference in the sound of the records to me. Too many records come of the RCM with ticks, pops, and crackle, even with no visible cause.
6. It's unpleasantly loud.

I think a small shop vac and a slotted crevice tool plus a beater turntable would do a better job at 1/5 the price.

Very interesting. This is good information. What version of the machine do you have? If earlier version perhaps these problems have been addressed?

I already have a gutted TT on hand but I'm not much of a DIYer-- I don't have the tools or space to do it right. The gutted TT would still be a good place for pre-clean with the machine.

Whatever! I bought the demo model they were selling for $175 with free shipping. I'm sure I will be happy with the results compared to my current method of basically nothing. Besides, I could do a lot worse for $175.. Only a little more than a spin-clean even.

I'm excited to get some old favorites shined up :thmbsp:

Very interesting. This is good information. What version of the machine do you have? If earlier version perhaps these problems have been addressed?

I already have a gutted TT on hand but I'm not much of a DIYer-- I don't have the tools or space to do it right. The gutted TT would still be a good place for pre-clean with the machine.

I'm not sure what I have. I bought it used (but like new condition) off Audiogon a couple of years ago. I think it's basically the same as current production, thought they may have improved the "platter" bearing in much the same way as my DIY solution (a needle thrust bearing from an RX-7 rotary engine).

Hate to be a contrarian, but I have a Record Doctor RCM and I am really disappointed with it. I've made my case in many other threads, but the synopsis:
1. Dirty side of the record contacts the vacuum "lips" while the other side is being wetted/scrubbed. The velvet lips around the vacuum almost always leave a line of debris on the record wherever the rotation stops.
2. Rather clumsy way of turning the record. I used to get sore after cleaning half a dozen records, then I added my own rolling element thrust bearing that made a world of difference.
3. Doesn't seem to really suck off all the fluid. I'm always left with a haze of fluid dampness on the record that takes about 5 minutes to fully evaporate.
4. Ridiculously hard to drain. The drain hole is tiny. The inside of the case has a flat bottom, so the waste fluid doesn't run to the hole. You have to hold the whole machine over the sink and shake the bejeezus out of it to get even some of the fluid out of the thing.
5. I'm less than impressed with the results. I haven't tried any other RCMs, but the way most folks describe them, they're like the second coming. This one doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference in the sound of the records to me. Too many records come of the RCM with ticks, pops, and crackle, even with no visible cause.

I think a small shop vac and a slotted crevice tool plus a beater turntable would do a better job at 1/5 the price.

FWIW I never apply the fluid or scrub the record when it's on the machine. I put the record on a towel to do that so I can put some pressure on the brush and get it really clean.

Agree about the difficulty turning the record. that's why I recommended the KAB Gliding Platter.

No idea why yours isn't picking up all the fluid. Mine has LOTS of suction.

and yes, it is loud, as is the Nitty Gritty, and yes it's probably possible to build something (that would require a shop vac in the room with you), for less.

Sounds just like my old Nitty Gritty 1.0. I loved it. Might have to buy this new one.

I've had my Record Doctor for 6 years and have cleaned more than 600 of my own lp's plus some for friends. I've never had an issue with it in any respect. The manual operation does not phase me in the least - if I was so lazy to turn it manually then I don't deserve one at all. The fluid in the resevoir always evaps so I've never drained it.
I've been 100% satisfied and if the day comes when mine fails I'd buy another one without a second thought. Paid $300 for mine so for $200 do not hesitate. BTW, I've bought replacement brushes and Pure 2 fluid from Nitty Gritty - it's essentially a Nitty gritty machine. Buying one of these to me is a no-brainer!

I'm considering this. I can't afford it right now but it's better than what I am currently doing.

If it is to loud you can always replace the fan with a quieter one granted you might lose some suction power. Although based on what I have seen with computers you will probably be able to find a quieter fan with more suction power.

Back
Top Bottom