• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Anyone know what the McIntosh font is?

ProAc_Fan

Addicted Member
I'm burnt out looking for the font McIntosh uses for its emblem. Does anyone know where I might find it or have the font themselves? HELP!!

Mike
 
Register to hide this ad
I always assumed it was old English. However I never paid close attention to it. It's probably not old English but rather some obscure printer's font.
 
The McIntosh logo is set in what typographers call a Blackletter type face. Blackletters can be found from here to Toulouse (but not Timbuktu). It will be intensely difficult to find a suitable computer font.

If you have typesetting skills and a good program (InDesign, Quark, Illustrator, you get the idea) then you can do some fun stuff in type composition and geometry. As a starting point, you should look at fonts Parkinson's Cabazon, MADType's Brauhaus, or a composition of Scriptorium's Wittenbach and Ingrimayne Type's Zimple. Alternately, you could design the font from scratch, though that takes much time, substantial experience, and a small wad of cash.
 
Eurostile is used for the graphics, I know that much at least. (probably no help here at all though)
Tom
 
Its possible that it actually isn't a font but the neccessary letters designed solely for this specific purpose (perhaps that's what is meant by blackletter type face). This was the case with the lettering on the Pabst Blue Ribbon label. The great american type designer Goudy (forget what his first name is) saw a Pabst billboard, and was annoyed that he couldn't identify the typeface, so he contacted Pabst to find out what it was, and when told that it wasn't a full font, he asked if he could fill it out, and did. The typeface is called Pabst, and is an exceedingly handsome one.
Perhaps the world needs a MacIntosh typeface.
 
1. Has anyone thought to actually ask McIntosh Labs this? Probably get slapped down for it, but hey...
2. Isn't member Ron C from McIntosh? Perhaps he could find out for us:D
Tom
 

Attachments

  • McIntoshs.png
    McIntoshs.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Nat said:
The great american type designer Goudy (forget what his first name is) saw a Pabst billboard, and was annoyed that he couldn't identify the typeface, so he contacted Pabst to find out what it was, and when told that it wasn't a full font, he asked if he could fill it out, and did.
Frederic W. Goudy also said, "Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep."

Blackletters have always had a bad rap for being antique and too much like actual calligraphic writing. When using a blackletter, the type must be set so it approaches a natural art form (this is why blindly spacing the letters of a blackletter typeface on a composing stick or linotype-like machine is approaching grand sheep larceny). Pabst Oldstyle, a beautiful heavy book serifed typeface, as well as any typeface made to resemble the McIntosh logo, requires just the right series of elements to fall in place to make it useful. Otherwise, you're just a sheep thief.
 
Years ago I had an Amiga 500 with the Amiga Workbench 1.3. The text editor which comes standard with that had 3 fonts. From memory one of them was exactly like the McIntosh font. I can't remember the name of the font I'm sorry. But hope that helps.
 
ProAc_Fan said:
I'm burnt out looking for the font McIntosh uses for its emblem. Does anyone know where I might find it or have the font themselves? HELP!!

Mike
That one, sir, I do believe, as I put in the attachement above.
Tom
 
*ahem* Um, I dunno, EW. I can't seem to clarify this without looking even more doofus-like. :( I guess I was just basically pointing Ron to my attachment in a manner that was about as clear as mud. Sorry for the confusion.
Tom
 
Thank you, VinylHanger! It was, however, Nat who led this thread to sheep pilfering. As an aside, I'm going through Linotype's library of fonts and typefaces for the McIntosh logo font, and I may have a real, usable answer by this weekend (assuming, of course, we haven't totally confused Ron-C and this information is worthy of the public).
 
In the time period when the McIntosh logo was first used, typesetting was done from metal type primarily. The type was set in a stick, then a proof was made on very high quality paper. Then a graphic artist would clean up the letters, perhaps cutting them apart into individual letters and then glue them to a backing board with new letter-spacing to achieve a unique logo. This is probably what was done. Hence you probably can't find a font that will replicate exactly the letter spacing of the McIntosh logo without further work after you make a proof print of the word.

I used to work at an advertising agency with on-staff graphic artists, and I have seen this done many times. The McIntosh logo was (I'm sure) created by whatever advertising agency McIntosh used at the time.
 
And is probably copy protected as they also did with all spelling options.....cost the computer company some change back in the day. Gordon would often joke about not taking the stock they offered...he insisted on a check.
 
Back
Top Bottom