Epic Series CF-4

Jenkster

Bonzo!
Subscriber
I'm going to check out some CF-4's later today. According to the seller, they were recently put in a storage unit so auditioning them may be difficult. It's about an hour drive as well. I am going to bring my little Kenwood KA-5700 integrated, i-pod, speaker wire and a long a** extention cord. Hopefully there is an outlet close by. I know to check for the originality of the drivers and operation. I also know the early versions have deeper ports and are more desireable. Anything else I should look for?

You cam pull the horn and check around the motor screw on to make sure it is not cracked. This happens more often with ceramic magnet motors due to weight. The K63KN is a light neo magnet so not as likely to happen. Stress cracks from drops (heavy cabinet) will generally occur right at the shoulder where the compression driver stops when you screw it in as that is the point of highest stress. Cracked horns can be repaired or replace (so not to worry) but things like that help to provide leverage to obtain a better price. that is an impressive loudspeaker. I hope this works for you so let us know. Best regards Moray James.

Check the serial numbers. If they were made in 94 with 6in ports they are definately version 1. If built in 1995 they are most likely version two and still highly desireable. Good Luck.

cubdog

Thank you for the information guys, I appreciate it!:thmbsp: I will let you know how it goes.

Check the serial numbers. If they were made in 94 with 6in ports they are definately version 1. If built in 1995 they are most likely version two and still highly desireable. Good Luck.

cubdog

Thought you might like this, best regards Moray James

Attachments

• Labrador.jpg
    Labrador.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 78
Well, they were not as advertised, imagine that. Turned out to be CF-3's with beat up cabinets and damaged grills.:thumbsdn: Not a total waste of time. They were in Chico, CA home of The Sierra Nevada Brewery and Tap Room. My friend and fellow AK'er Rob had a great lunch and maybe an ale.:yes::beer: There is a cool record store downtown that is always worth a visit. Oh well, I guess it was not meant to be.

Did you listen to them anyway? Good that you went and made the effort doing so is never a waste. Best regards Moray James.

That's a shame but I hope you didn't pass up a bargain. Nothing wrong with CF3s especially versions 1 and 2 if the drivers are sound. I imagine he was asking too much or you would have tried to bargain. Never the less, in the future, if you find available CF3s go for them.

cubdog

They were version 3's and in very rough shape. There is a black plastic material that covers the visible part of the front baffle. It was pretty much toast. One speaker was missing the binding post jumpers. A cat or??? had got to the grills. The footers were also missing. I really, really didn't want a project and wasn't in the mood to make an offer. I also didn't bother to listen to them. I told the seller she might be better off parting them out as the drivers looked to be original. I'm sure that's not going to happen.

I didn't mention this in the last post as I'm sure no one would believe it. I do have a witness so here goes.

One of our stops in Chico was to Sounds by Dave, a long time local audio store. Dave is getting into buying and selling vintage gear as well as new stuff and car audio. Anyway, we went into the show room to check out his Sansui 9090 hooked up to a pair of Cerwin Vega transmission line speakers. I don't recall the model but I'm sure they are rare. The room was kinda' dark so I initially didn't see the big boxes behind me. I turned around and saw a nearly mint pair of, yes you guessed it, CF-4's v.3's.:thmbsp: We did get to listen to them and we were both very impressed.:yes: Way too much speaker for my room but awesome to hear and look at. I guess you could chalk this one up to karma.:yes:

That's pretty cool coincidence. CF4s are rare no matter what version. You're right too they are big speakers.

cubdog

I had a pair of CF4s at home for a while to audition. I couldn't get them to sound good no matter what I tried. Then the distributor brought round the Forte IIs for me to compare. There was no comparison, and that's what I've used ever since.

I did so love the appearance of the CF4s and really wished to like them. YMMV of course, but for me with both valve (Leak Stereo 20s) and transitor (Lavardin) the Forte IIs have been great.

I had a pair of CF4s at home for a while to audition. I couldn't get them to sound good no matter what I tried. Then the distributor brought round the Forte IIs for me to compare. There was no comparison, and that's what I've used ever since.

I did so love the appearance of the CF4s and really wished to like them. YMMV of course, but for me with both valve (Leak Stereo 20s) and transitor (Lavardin) the Forte IIs have been great.

Were you using the leak when you first auditioned the CF4? They do require an amp with some horse power as they are not as efficient as the numbers would suggest. But you goat a great speaker to work and that is what is important. If the revisions of the CF4 are similar to the CF3 then that would make a difference also. Best regards Moray James.

Back
Top Bottom