Fisher Console Project

Anti_Skate

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I've got a Philharmonic console that my grandfather bought new way back when, and I've been meaning to restore it for a long time now. It's a model P-291 and I believe 1966 vintage.
I tested it out 10 years ago and it worked fine.

The other day I went to my local Goodwill and found this for 6 bucks!!!!
With the owners manual and a 1966 Fisher Catalog.

It's another Philharmonic 1966 P-291 !!!! I took this as a sign from the Audio Gods to start this project.

Now I have a source of parts in case I run into any issues with the other one.
So to start this project I understand that a total re-cap is in order, and I also read something about the Selenium rectifiers needing replacement. Is there anything else?

I can't seem to find a Service manual for the P-291, I've got one for a P-290 but there looks to be some differences.

mostly its caps and the rectifiers. I also like to do a clean on all of the tube pins and sockets, controls, and lube the tuning mechanism's moving points so it all rolls smooth. If you've got a tube tester, check the tubes but most of the time I find they are fine. I usually only drag mine out if there is a problem and then its mostly used to confirm a suspicion.

The record changer will also want a teardown and re-lube, and I'd put a new needle in there as well. I just did a twin to that changer over the weekend, and its not that bad to deal with. What is that, an AT60, or an AT6 MKII ? The one I did is an original AT6, but a ton of models were built off that basic platform without a whole lot of differences.

Thanks for the Info. That service manual was indeed the correct one.
The Contemporary Cabinet has an AT60 Table and the Italian Provincial Cabinet has an AT6 MK II.

According to Fisher Consoles the Italian Provincial is a '65(P-290), and the Contemporary is a '66(P-291) based on the Turntables. But looking at the pictures of the consoles and the site's pictures, your's are both 66's. It's possible that the contemporary is an early'66 if FISHER had a surplus of the AT-60's and were trying to clear out inventory.

Is there a heavy paper spec sheet on the back of either one with the model # and spec's on it??

There may be date codes on the speakers, and possibly on some parts internal to the chassis'.

Larry

Last edited:
Well THAT simplifies everything. Pick out the cabinet you like best, restore it, and use the other for a parts donor. If you feel that you don't need a parts donor, keep it whole, or sell it.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom