Fixing a vintage AKAI AM 2800 - Where to begin?

Samishere

Hello there,

I would like to introduce my self: I'm Sam.
As a kid i always dreamt off "the most awesome very loud sound system..." As i thought back than the bigger the better..:D

So in this enthusiasm i bought some random stuff which seemed nice back than.... I blew some (well actually most) of them up and bought some new stuff.

Now i ended up with the following setup:

Akai amplifier AM-2800

- Continus power (20Hz-20kHz): 2x80W (8 Ohm)
- Frequenzy: 7Hz-70kHz
- (THD): 0,08%

JBL 2Weg Profi Boxen PA 12105K (2 times)
- 250W 8Ohm
- 60 Hz - 20kHz

My Akai is sadly distorted. Because of the cool look and a low budget i would like to have it fixed or try to fix it. Now i found a manual http://www.hifiengine.com/library/akai/am-2800.shtml

Only thing is i'm completely now in this field. Only times i have seen the inside of amps and receivers is when i would demolish old ones as a kid out of curiosity. :scratch2: I'm technical though. Can fix my computers hardware.

So could you please help me on the way a first step maybe some threads i could read myself into.

Welcome to AK, Sam!

A first question for you: have you performed any maintenance on the amp, such as cleaning the controls (internally) and checking DC offset? Those are going to be your places to start. Dirty controls can produce all kinds of distortion. The good news is that it is easy to take care of. Look for the sticky thread, "Idiot's guide to De-Oxit" or something like that. Also is the thread "DC Offset and You". Those will get you going. If you still have distortion problems after that, then it's time to do more in depth diagnosis. That AM-2800 is a great amp!

Welcome to AK, Sam!

A first question for you: have you performed any maintenance on the amp, such as cleaning the controls (internally) and checking DC offset? Those are going to be your places to start. Dirty controls can produce all kinds of distortion. The good news is that it is easy to take care of. Look for the sticky thread, "Idiot's guide to De-Oxit" or something like that. Also is the thread "DC Offset and You". Those will get you going. If you still have distortion problems after that, then it's time to do more in depth diagnosis.

Great! I haven't. This will get me started. I bought it in a second hand store, in the shop it sounded okay. But soon it went bad... Especially the tone switch. When i turn it i hear a heard tick sound if amp is on. I'll get started and keep you posted.

That AM-2800 is a great amp!
I'm happy as a :banana:

In the mean time i would love to have some speakers recommended which suit this sweetheart. I have a possibility to buy these: Technics SB-M 300 mk2 second hand for around 130 dollar. Is that wise?

Last edited:
Great! I haven't. This will get me started. I bought it in a second hand store, in the shop it sounded okay. But soon it went bad... Especially the tone switch. When i turn it i hear a heard tick sound if amp is on. I'll get started and keep you posted.

I'm happy as a :banana:

In the mean time i would love to have some speakers recommended which suit this sweetheart. I have a possibility to buy these: Technics SB-M 300 mk2 second hand for around 130 dollar. Is that wise?

Hmm, could be DC voltage coming through. But get those controls cleaned. :thmbsp:

Those Technics speakers look very intriguing, and well worth the price! Are you in the US? Because I doubt those speakers were ever sold here much, if at all. All that I would recommend is that you stay away from very low impedance speakers (like big Infinitys), or speakers that need huge power. The Akai puts out about 70 WPC, which is pretty decent. I completely refurbished mine, and enjoyed it (and the matching tuner) for quite a while.

Last edited:
Hi Sam... glad to see people lending a hand ... my bad for not suggesting the deoxit cleaning of the controls over at your post on OCN ...

but i'm glad to see you signed up and ask the knowledgeable and nice folks here for some more help than i could provide certainly.

I do sure hope that amp gets sorted at the end of the day as it is super nice looking thing... I want one now.. which is basically what i say about 90% of the stuff I see on this site :music:

Hey, i had to be silent for a while. But recently got some Deoxit and spare time.

Here is me goingDSC_0447.jpg

DSC_0448.jpg

Only thing is that i couldn't find Deoxit in spray version... (only have it with a brush) :( Any tips what i could use instead?

With out a spray i highly doubt i can get to all the contact area's.

I'm lately using isopropylic alcohol spray to clean my gear. After trying contact cleaner, and this alcohol, I prefer the alcohol. It's cheaper, It doesn't evaporate so fast, so it gives you more time to move the controls, and to me, it removes the dirty better.

Atarioni,
Saw your post about wanting an Akai AM-2800. I have one in original box that looks & performs flawlessly. It's been cleaned & lubed. $200 + shipping(or pickup in So IN).
Thank You

Hi kyray, I want to let you know that all for-sale posts have to be in the Barter Town area, and not in the general forums. I'm not a moderator, just a regular guy who spends way too much time here. Thought you should know. And you can edit the post, and maybe PM atarione if you like. Or, become an AK subscriber and have access to Barter Town and all the rest. :thmbsp:

Hey, i had to be silent for a while. But recently got some Deoxit and spare time.

Here is me goingView attachment 435386

View attachment 435387

Only thing is that i couldn't find Deoxit in spray version... (only have it with a brush) :( Any tips what i could use instead?

With out a spray i highly doubt i can get to all the contact area's.

Hmmm, you should be able to find it at a Guitar Center if there's one nearby, our even radio shack. You really do need the spray, with long reach straw.

Back
Top Bottom